Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm changing the coolant from green-yellow (G11) to blue (G48) in my Gtv V6 Turbo PH1 ('95). I ought to do a flush, although it says on the internet that these two antifreeze specs are compatible.

My initial idea was to drain the system from the topside using an electric pump. I managed to squeeze out about 3L of coolant-water mix from the coolant tank and feeding tube, but that's it.

I read there's about 8 litres in the system, where do I drain the remaining 5L? As far as I know, there isn't a drain plug on the early phase 1 cars. Can I drain it from the topside still or will I have to disconnect something from the bottom of the car?

Keep in mind, my Gtv is lowered for another 3cm and I haven't a lift or hole, so if somebody would be kind enough to post photos where I should be looking at to drain the coolant, thank you kindly!

It's okay if approx. 1 litre stays in the system, the new coolant can be mixed with the previous one, I just want to get as much out of the system as I can (because the existing coolant is quite dirty, and I cleaned my coolant tank as well).

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
You’ll need to take off the lower radiator hose. That one ought to be obvious. If it’s not been off before have a replacement hose clip (of the correct size) ready as the existing one may be reusable if it is Clic-R type but it may well be the type that basically has to be destroyed to get it off.
If you’re concerned about old fluid still being present connect a hose-pipe to the reservoir and run fresh water through the system for a while with the bottom hose on and off. Don’t forget to have the the heater on hot when you flush and when you fill and then run the engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply, I dreaded as much.

There's the intercooler because of it being a turbo that's in the way of an already tight fit. I might be able to release the clamp after I've jacked up the car.

For the record, the clamp on the lower radiator hose has obviously been changed to a screw-on type (my favourite), but there is so little space it's going to be a pain in the buttocks.

Again, thanks, I'll manage to sort it out.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
There is a threaded hole on the right hand (as you look at the car) side of the back of the radiator. I think it is for a temperature sensor on early cars and has a blanking plug on later cars. You can easily undo the plug and drain a fair bit of coolant that way. I found it easier to get to than the lower hose.

Reactions: Alfaniac

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a threaded hole on the right hand (as you look at the car) side of the back of the radiator. I think it is for a temperature sensor on early cars and has a blanking plug on later cars. You can easily undo the plug and drain a fair bit of coolant that way. I found it easier to get to than the lower hose.
This is exactly why I come to this board :)

Proper tip, hope I manage to find it. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
This is exactly why I come to this board :)

Proper tip, hope I manage to find it. Thanks a lot!
If you can’t find it let me know and I’ll take some photos. When I changed the coolant on my Spider (TS not a V6) I was able to drain about 5 out of 8 litres. I went from blue to red coolant. I drained as much as I could, topped up with water, ran the engine til the coolant fans kicked in, left to cool and repeated. I kept doing this until the water was totally clear. I drained again, added 4 litres of coolant and then topped up with de-ionised water to achieve the correct 50/50 ratio of coolant to water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've did find the threaded hole, it's what the manual refers to as the thermal contact.

Now, what bother's me is two things. First, I'm flushing the system, and the radiator fans did not come on but the coolant was about to overflow from the expansion tank. This is when I turned off the car and left it to cool. I'll pump the mix out and put antifreeze next.

What I want to know is, can I put the expansion cap back on while heating up the engine? The manual sort of implies that the cap is off, but I always saw them screwed back on as soon as you top up the coolant. Also, can I drive the car to heat it up instead of leaving it in neutral? It seems to take forever for it to heat up, I waited 20 minutes today and it's 30 celsius outside.

Second, the air should bleed out by itself, hopefully not through the expansion tank cap being left off. Is there some kind of air release I should trigger? I did see an air valve as pictured (mine is a TB, but the location of this valve is the same as in the photo). Is this a bleed valve or is it something to do with the aircon?

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
That is one of the aircon regas valves, can't remember exactly but I think that is the low pressure side.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The cooling system is pressurised when the cap is on. This allows the coolant to reach a higher temperature without boiling. Running the car with the cap off means the coolant could expand and/or boil. It also may not reach the correct temperature for the fans to kick in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts