Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondering how often the coolant should be changed for the V6 engine GTVs? and what's the procedure (novice here)?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Blue antifreeze should be changed every 3 years and red every 5 years. On my Twinnie (same radiator I think) I removed the blanking plug on the rear left of the radiator draining as much coolant as possible. I refilled with clean water, ran til the fans kicked in and allowed to cool then repeated a couple more times. Work out how much undiluted antifreeze you need and add that topping up with de-ionised water. Check after a day or so and top up if needed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You'll never drain the full 10+ litres needed in one go, so Nellytheroc's method is the only way. If you don't have the blanking plate, remove the bottom rad hose and be prepared to get soaked:) You'll need to remove the air filter undertray guard to do this on the nearside front. FYI, fans kicking in means that the thermostat should be open on the engine to allow coolant to move round the system. Best to replace the thermostat (£40 ish from Totally Alfa) if it hasn't been done in 10 years or so, especially on a rarer engine like the 3.2 V6.... Check your hoses, and make sure the clamps haven't cut into them (mine had and I had a slight leak). A relatively simple job really, just a shame there's not an engine block plug to allow you to fully drain the system (unless someone knows otherwise?)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think there are some bleed screws to drain the coolant from the heads
A relatively simple job really, just a shame there's not an engine block plug to allow you to fully drain the system (unless someone knows otherwise?)
I think there are some hex drain screws for the heads on the V6. I dont know where either though.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Blue coolant was never in any of this generation of Alfas.
The dark green (3 year) stuff was obsolete by the time the 3.2 was released.

The coolant should be pink/red OAT 5 year coolant. The green stuff was only used for cars with copper radiators. Earlier cars which have copper radiator changed to the later aluminium type can also use the pink OAT stuff. All the coolants are ethylene glycol based but have different anti corrosion additives for different metals in the cooling system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Few more questions before i get stuck in....
Mine is 2001 and was orginally a 3.0 V6...but then had a replacement engine from a 147 GTA - so now has a 3.2 V6. I have no idea if the radiator would have been changed though.
Sounds like I should be using red/pink coolant then?
How much coolant should be used?
Where is the thermostat located?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for the info. Few more questions before i get stuck in....
Mine is 2001 and was orginally a 3.0 V6...but then had a replacement engine from a 147 GTA - so now has a 3.2 V6. I have no idea if the radiator would have been changed though.
Sounds like I should be using red/pink coolant then?
How much coolant should be used?
Where is the thermostat located?
Not sure about coolant amount, but thermostat is on RH side of engine, between the intake hose and a black plastic box with cables it. You’ll see the coolant hoses going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blue antifreeze should be changed every 3 years and red every 5 years. On my Twinnie (same radiator I think) I removed the blanking plug on the rear left of the radiator draining as much coolant as possible. I refilled with clean water, ran til the fans kicked in and allowed to cool then repeated a couple more times. Work out how much undiluted antifreeze you need and add that topping up with de-ionised water. Check after a day or so and top up if needed.
How do you work out the amount of coolant you need? And where do you get de-ionised water from? So once drained, no clean water from the tap?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
How do you work out the amount of coolant you need? And where do you get de-ionised water from? So once drained, no clean water from the tap?
The handbook should give you the coolant capacity. Antifreeze can be bought ready mixed or concentrate. The ready mixed is fine for topping up but no good after draining as a fair bit of water will remain in the engine block after flushing. The concentrate needs diluting 50:50 so equal amounts of coolant and de-ionised water. For my Twinnie the capacity is 8.4 litres so after flushing, I added 4.2 litres of concentrate and topped up. You should get de-ionised water at any car spares place, even Halfords or even some petrol stations.

Reactions: Jowey
1 - 9 of 9 Posts