Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;

the day before Xmas I heard some hissing comeing from the engine after a relatively short drive in the hot weather.

the coolant reserve bottle was damaged from the connector out that goes to the top of the engine (thinner hose). i made a mistake by adding a few hunder mL of green coolant before my way back home.

I have been trying to source another bottle, and located one at the dealer, but they cant fit it til after new year. so I want to collect the spare and fit it my self. as well as do a coolant flush because of my msitake in mixing.

Previously I have bought a coolant temp sensor that I have wanted to fit, because often I get no reading on the dash, just points down to 0 all day, occasionally it will go up to normal, but randomly fluctuates.

So i thought its a good time to do all 3 jobs, this afternoon)

1) install new reservior bottle
2) flush cooolant
3) fit new temp sensor.

Are there anyn steps on how to flush the coolant, or anything i need to watch out for?

Is it really necessary to flush the coolant?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I changed the bottle and the amount of the coolant that I could.

I was able to change the temp sensor. But still getting no reading, what would be the next part to look at?

Also after starting I am now getting engine check light.

Need to wait til new year to see what the codes are.

Confused on the next steps on fixing the coolant temperature reading.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Look at the top alloy rail that seems to distributes the coolant its got a black plastic bleed screw with a tag on it
These are obviously for bleeding the system, but people have been replacing them with a metal one cause the plastic ones can pop out causing the engine to overheat.
Flush or not ? Depends how thorough you want to be I,be heard the different anti.f. can cause gel in SYS but it its only a small amount probably be ok. As for the guasge it could be the guage that is faulty or wiring to it
But if you gog an air lock in the sys the sensor needs water behind it to work. Is the sensor at the top of the enghiner ?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep sensor is at the upper left side of the engine, sits under some piping inbetween the engine and battery.

I didnt do a complete flush, I let the coolant go from the bottle and added about 2 or 3 L of new red coolant. Seems to be good coolant wise now, although i never did the bleeed, I just ran the car as per normal and topped up the coolant with another 0.5-1L the folloing morning. Coolant levels are stable now.

I agree it needs water/coolant to be behind it for it to start working, the weird thing was when I changed it, there was no leakage of coolant. It didnt even seem like the dipstick that feeds into the coolant was wet. brother inlaw said its probably because it wasnt running.

u don't get too much visual in those tight spaces.

Im fairly confident with the gauge wiring, as the two beside it are working fine, and on one of my services, fault code showed up with temperature sensor (or something pointing to that). so it made sense for me to change it. also with the original sensor, I used to get changes in the gauge readings, but in truth alot of the time it would point to 0, or randomly fluctuate between 0 and 45, depending on how much the throttle was pushed.

not sure what to do next.
Would the bleed do me any good now that the coolant levels are stable?

thanks again

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Random fluctuations suggest either a wiring issue or pockets of air & water passing the sensor. There is a second bleed screw behind the engine on one of the coolant hoses too.

Do the coolant hoses feel hot to the touch when running? Could be a jammed open thermostat in the mix too.

You may well get the fault code if the temp sensor is disconnected.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coolant levels are quite steady, but I do feel like there is air pockets floating around, after the drive back from work ill feel the coolant piping.

Should I have expected coolant to leak our when I changed the temperature sensor?
I'm thinking of just restroing the original sensor in there :S

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Yes, it should have leaked as the level is below the expansion bottle.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Restored the original sensor and coolant came out as I replacing it. So happy about that. But I started the car and the engine light was still on.

But will drive to work tomorrow and see how I go

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
You got any other symptoms like lumpy starting?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Fluctuating temp gauge and rough starting could point toward a head gasket issue.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really hope it isnt a headgasket.

my mechanic hasnt mentioned anything to point to that ad im getting it serviced regularly. the rough start has been a regular thing with my car.

Today I drove to work with the old temp sensor in. the guage was showing a reading.

The fluctuations were not as wild as they used to be, only gradual changes between 70-90 deg. Idling was much better with this original sensor too.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
You might just need a new thermostat.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
If that one is for a 2.2 then you might need eBay item no. 400593876164 instead - your info says you have a 2.4 D.

When mine went I had much less fluctuation than you described, which was what threw me at first. Mine ran about 80'c ish on a run and up to 90'c in queue traffic. Mine showed this when I had the EGR mapped out - looks like it causes the car to run cooler without it.

For the starting issue, do you have the 'preheating not available' warning? There's quite a long thread on this, but the gist is you can only really test the glow plugs properly by putting them across the battery.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yep im getting that glow plug warning every morning.

when i put the replacement sensor in and was getting no readings, i was getting the glow plug warning on every start, even when the car is wam. now that i replaced the original sensor im getting readings tahnkfully, and suprisingly less fluctuations then i used to.

im chasing up the glow plug issue on another thread, my mechanic told me it was the control module for the glow plugs and that it would be expensive to change, so i didnt go ahead with it, but everyone here seems to say that that is an indication of one or more failed plugs. intention is within the next couple of days.

one other thing thats getting to me is on startup (mostly mornings) im getting "engine oil pressure insufficient" or something to that meaning, which does point to a headgasket issue like you mentioned previously. But this warning has been on for ages, as far as i can remember since ive had the car

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2 JTS 2008
20 Posts
Hi!

I have a 2.2 JTS Brera and losing coolant. And its shows. We changed the cooling radiator because it was a hole on the edge of it. And all of the coolant was under the car. After we changed the radiator it’s leaked again but not that much probably half the size of the previous leaking. So again I went back to my mechanic and the tightened up the bolts. After it seemed good for maybe 2-3 months so for that amount of time the car doesn’t leaked. But now again it’s leaking again and I saw that the air conditioning fan is also not working. But the air conditioning is working great. And if I give power straight from the battery the air conditioning fan is working. So another mistake is here. I saw that probably the coolant reservoir tank is cracked and see coolant under thereservoir tank where I think there is where are some part of the gearbox is.
But now I clean up the space where I found the coolant leak (somewhere around under the coolant reservoir tank ) and now there isn’t any coolant leak. So the car doesn’t leaking again. But droped the coolant level to min again ( second or third time)
What can it be?

Thanks for helping :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts