Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since losing a sizeable amount of coolant on the weekend due to replacing the carburettor mounts I have decided to flush the system and replace the coolant. I have found various threads on how to flush and bleed the Nord engine and have also had advice that I need to be careful which flush and which coolant I use as the engine is aluminium. The question is whether anyone can guide me on which flush and which coolant I should be using?

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
TBH unless you know its clogged I wouldn't use a flush, never used it myself thanks to regular changes, you can flush the rad with clean water - use the blue stuff ethylene glycol not the red/longlife stuff as that can eat into old rads and solder, change every couple of years

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
agree, wouldn't use a flushing agent.

Just empty the system by removing bottom rad. hose (some old stuff stays in the engine, unless you can get to the block drain bolt under the exhaust manifold, which I doubt! Earlier cars had a nice little brass tap there for this!)

Then fill with water only (ideally distilled, but doesn't matter much, yet) and drive the car around a while. This allows the clean water to mix/dilute with the old stuff still in the block and heater. Make sure heater valve is on full.

Drain again, then refill with a mix of 50% antifreeze and 50% distilled water. You can get gallon containers of distilled/de-ionised water almost anywhere now for a couple of quid.

Check all hoses whilst you are doing this, as best time to change them is now, before the refill with new antifreeze is complete;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts