Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday turned into disaster for my son's 3.0 GTV. After a couple of weeks at rest he started it to give it a run, however he was called away and left it. Two hours later after completely forgetting he had started the engine he looked at the garage door to see smoke pouring out. When he got to it it was too late the engine was in total meltdown, cooling fans hadn't cut in, temp gauge off the scale. Prior to this the engine and cooling system were perfect with no problems. I have never heard of this happening before. Just bad luck? or is there a known explanation peculiar to the V6 cooling system. Anyway please don't get caught out, it happened all too easily. The lesson is never to leave the car running to warm it up(as lots of folks do on cold mornings). Where does the car go from here its a 68000 mile 3.0 gtv 1998(R reg). Any advice more than welcome

·
Registered
821 Posts
:( I'm really sorry to hear that! It sounds like your fan died, possibly a fuse or just it was on its last legs and running continuously for two hours was just too much for it. Not that its much of a consolation but more modern engines would have cut off before into self protection mode, but warning taken regardless! :eek:

I'm sure some of the more tecno savvy may be able to recommend a good parts supplier if you're up to it but it sounds like a rebuild at least. Maybe you could source a replacement engine from somewhere? :confused:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think a rebuild is feasible in this case,we have searched on line today for an engine with no results, much as it grieves it might have to be the transplant option from a running donor car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would fit.Is a late 164 engine a possibilty or perhaps an early 166.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Sorry to hear this, I hope you can get it fixed :(

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OUCH, bad luck. Could've been anything really, sometimes just leaving a car running for that longit only takes something minor to cause it to overheat badly. Could be a weak water pump, or the radiator may be inefficient, or like you mentioned the fan may not have cut in or may have burnt out during.

Fingers crossed you manage to sort something out.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Was this in the end an engine fire or just a badly overheated engine? If so I take it this a new engine anyhow?
Would such a thing have caused problems with heat travelling through the transmission at all? What about the wiring loom, would that have suffered?
I'm surprised the engine was still running with that amount of overheat.

Still lesson learnt, where does he want to go from here?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have a point, could be lucky and not much damage done. Or could be the other way round and need everything.

How about a pic, or some more info?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awww, bad luck! :( Engines do appear on eBay occasionally if you're not in a rush. Also try some of the online scrapper's search engines...there are also some Alfa breakers around.

But, you'll be looking at £500-1000 for an engine.

wrinx

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I'd guess the fan just didn't come on.

The fan itself wouldn't burn out, even if it was running continuously, which it wouldn't have been (it should come on, cool the engine down a bit then turn off again etc... repeat indefinitely).

I hope your motor cools down okay.. maybe you'll get away with just new head gaskets needed. Change the oil too, if it gets fixed.. you're likely to have some treacle in there.

Ralf S.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice. We looked at the car again today, it seems to have a fuel leak and only started with some difficulty,however it sounds ok but unfortunately overheated very quickly. On the plus side it did not pressurise the cooling sytem. The car did not have an underbonnet fire and appeared siezed when it was so hot. The smoke smelt like burning plastic, hot oil, you name it. So our current plan is to take top end covers, pipes etc off to have a look for any burnt stuff, change thermostat, take rad out to be checked, sort why fans didn't cut in then do oil change and try it again. I feel a bit more optimistic about it today, fingers crossed it may survive yet.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
That is a shame- all the more so because it's probably just the relay or a corroded connection.
A word of warning though. I bought a 156 TS with overheating damage. Luckily it had just had new valves etc from cam belt tensioner failure 2 months beforehand. Unfortunately this engine then needed new valve seats, new pistons, a rebore and all new bottom end bearings. Just because your engine will start doesn't mean there may be considerable and very costly damage.

I hope that the damage in this case may simply be limited to a warped head. Best of luck.:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts