Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From what I've been told the outer cv joints are NLA for the 156 GTA but you can still get outer joints for the 147 GTA from e.g. Shaftec (I'd put this on the other recent thread but that'd be cross-posting), so anyone know how much work it'd be to convert the 156 GTA to take 147 GTA driveshafts?

I'd expect it'd just be a matter of swapping the hub (assuming you can get hold of such things), but has anyone tried it? Failing that, are there any other suggestions for a decent 156 GTA outer cv joint replacement, e.g 2.4 JTD outer joints (presumably they'd be beefy enough to handle the torque) or anything?

Edit: Just to be clear, as Dan said the GT & 147 / 156 GTA outer driveshafts are the same, and v difficult to find! Which still leaves the problem of what to replace them with when the outers finally give up the ghost...

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
The ones from Shaftec will be wrong, no-one makes GTA outer CV joints and the data catalogues are incorrectly listed. As far as I know, 156/147 GTA outer CV joints are identical - I have interchanged complete driveshafts before with no dramas.

If you want to swap driveshafts and hubs to something thats a direct fit and easy to source, swap to 156 2.5 V6 driveshafts. You just need a pair of complete driveshafts, a pair of hub flanges and a new pair of wheel bearings and fit it all, job done. CV joints are readily available aftermarket for peanuts then.

·
Registered
728 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the outer CV joint is the same on the 147 GTA, 156 GTA, GT 3.2 and also GTV 3.2s

Current part number is 46307922 and I believe comes as a complete kit with CV boot and clamps

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ones from Shaftec will be wrong, no-one makes GTA outer CV joints and the data catalogues are incorrectly listed. As far as I know, 156/147 GTA outer CV joints are identical - I have interchanged complete driveshafts before with no dramas.

If you want to swap driveshafts and hubs to something thats a direct fit and easy to source, swap to 156 2.5 V6 driveshafts. You just need a pair of complete driveshafts, a pair of hub flanges and a new pair of wheel bearings and fit it all, job done. CV joints are readily available aftermarket for peanuts then.
Thanks, might have to give that a try if my outer cv joints are wrecked after all; I haven't scraped out all the congealed / dirty grease yet, but chances are they won't be in terribly good condition because both boots were holed, and the n/s one wasn't held securely onto the driveshaft.

I did manage to order a couple of 156 GTA outer cv joints from the 'Bay but I'm not holding out much hope they'll be any good.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

And a pair of abs sensors...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've scraped out the grease from my existing cv joints and luckily they're not too badly worn, though there are a few shiny bits on the spiders.

Unsurprisingly the cv joints from Ebay (J&R Trading) are incorrect (the driveshaft hole is too large for a start) but they were only just over the cost of a pair of cv gaiters so I don't feel too hard done by, and I'll rebuild my old cv joints using the bearings from the new ones (one done already), have replaced the missing driveshaft securing ring and will use the shiny new cv joint gaiters too.

Next stage - find out how mangled the inner cv joints are...

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
inner cvs are a common size on other models too.. thinking the are a GKN item so shouldn't be hard to source.. its the outers that are so far GTA specific but might be fitted to other fiat lancia alfa group models

they dont usually make specific items just raid them from the parts bin they already have..

·
Registered
365 Posts
help me to understand.
The outer cv for 156GTA is no longer available, but is identical to the outer cv of a 147GTA which is normally available.
If they are identical - why don't they have the same number? Can't imagine same parts being listed under different numbers.

And if they have same number, you wouldn't know that they were not available, because they are available!

Thanks for clarification

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
inner cvs are a common size on other models too.. thinking the are a GKN item so shouldn't be hard to source.. its the outers that are so far GTA specific but might be fitted to other fiat lancia alfa group models

they dont usually make specific items just raid them from the parts bin they already have..
Outer cvs do seem to be GTA specific, I've had a good dig through various online parts equivalence databases and the only one which turns up is a Fiat part number, which is... wait for it... an internal Fiat reference for the Alfa part number :rolleyes:

I'd imagine a GTA one could be made up out of a parts bin since I find it hard to believe they've made completely different spiders and outers, but it'd be a matter of matching the correct spider to the correct outer & cage, and then spending several frustrating minutes chasing your balls around the garage floor.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Is it? Always thought you could cross reference... meh!!
The main problem is that they keep changing the part numbers!

Often what occurs, is originally the same part will have one part number for one model, another part number for a different model, they then CHANGE the part numbers with a revised number that will be the same number for BOTH models if that makes sence! :lol::lol::lol:

So what does that tell you? The part was the same for both models!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I compared my GT outer CV with the 156 GTA outer CV, and it seems the 156 GTA has a counterbalance in the middle of the shaft.

Can't really say what its for though.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
FFS Outer CV joints are the same for the 156 / 147 GTA and GT 3.2 and are difficult to source irrespective of whatever part number. Inners are the same as 2.5 V6's and easy to find.

I think both Dan and I have confirmed this several times recently! :irked:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Realized a post I made on something that I did which helped me with CV joints, is missing from this thread.
I must've done something wrong.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Hey hey.. reverting on this; is there any difference to how much torque the 2.5 shafts can withstand versus the GTA ones ?
(for a tuned engine / heavy track day usage...)

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Hey hey.. reverting on this; is there any difference to how much torque the 2.5 shafts can withstand versus the GTA ones ?
(for a tuned engine / heavy track day usage...)
I couldn't say for sure. However the logic follows that Alfa made them different for a reason... Then again, you can buy 3 good used complete 2.5 driveshafts for the cost of one good used GTA driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Good point! I suppose I can buy a set of 2.5 and see how they fare. If they don't its a relative small loss...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts