Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
37,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really get them.

My current car (Inherited from my late Father) is an E93 BMW 335i convertible.

Its a lovely car in most ways, but for me I think having a roof which goes down is a mixed (at best) blessing.

You put up with several downsides, such as extra weight - approx 200kg over thecupe version, worse structural rigidity, extra complexity due to the roof itself, water leaks and rubbish boot space. If you have a soft top you also have worse security and more noise with the roof up.

What you get in return on the few days of the year that you can put the roof down are sunburn on your head and face (worse if you are bald), smells of rapeseed, horse and cow sh*t, diesel fumes, cigarette smoke from the car in front or people on the path, wasps and other insects buzzing around. Plus you either feel too hot or cold and never just right.

People also look at you all of the time which makes me feel a bit of a berk.

Am I missing the point here?

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
I've never had one. I've been a passenger in a Caterham, deeply unpleasant on the motorway. When I was a kid, my mate had a Spitfire which was ok I suppose. I've been in a few MX-5s which I quite liked.

I expect it's a bit like going to a beach. Nice idea but the reality is that you get sand in your bits and all your food, sunstroke, and probably some insect bites.

I'm still tempted to buy a ragtop Saab and give it a go.

Reactions: LiamBates

·
Registered
37,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never had one. I've been a passenger in a Caterham, deeply unpleasant on the motorway. When I was a kid, my mate had a Spitfire which was ok I suppose. I've been in a few MX-5s which I quite liked.

I expect it's a bit like going to a beach. Nice idea but the reality is that you get sand in your bits and all your food, sunstroke, and probably some insect bites.

I'm still tempted to buy a ragtop Saab and give it a go.
Caterhams and MX5's are a bit different, they were designed as a convertible from the start so avoid many of the problems which afflict cut down coupes. Also a Caterham has terrible aerodynamics so would be dreadful at motorway speeds. My father once had a westfield, and with the roof down and doors off you couldn't keep your eyes open above about 70mph due to the wind.

I feel a bit guilty about critisising the BMW as it was my fathers and didn't actually cost me anything, but from an objective point of view I would much rather have the coupe version.

·
Registered
34,874 Posts
I wonder if the turnover of owners is greater for convertibles as they’re something you aspire to but it’s a bit different between dream and reality?

·
Registered
576 Posts
It’s quite nice being out in the open on a nice sunny day in the countryside, but as you mention less pleasant in the city. The saloon/coupe based convertibles are also more often than not uglier, slower, and less practical than their hardtop equivalents.

Couldn’t ever see myself in one but my dads been mad for them since he retired. He’s got a Z4 at the moment and the roof is down at every opportunity.

The weird thing about convertibles for me are the people that have one but keep the roof up on even the hottest and sunniest of days. Now that I really don’t get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A friend who was at Pininfarina in Gruliasco told me there were Mitsubishi cZ convertibles in fields that never sold. One of the reasons the factory closed.
Not one of Pininfarinas finest efforts...

The BMW does look pretty good with the roof up or down.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
We had a pug 207 CC.

Mrs Nick liked it but as a tallish person I found the front windscreen rake too much with the roof down.

I don’t recall that the driving experience was especially remarkable . The wind noise on the motorway was manageable.

As it was a Peugeot the driving was equally unremarkable.

That 3 series looks well. Perhaps because of the colour.

A colleague went from a 2012 MX-5 to an A3 ragtop but I think I’d favour the MX-5.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I like the idea of one, but as a man. I wouldn’t be seen driving one on a public road...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
A friend who was at Pininfarina in Gruliasco told me there were Mitsubishi cZ convertibles in fields that never sold. One of the reasons the factory closed.

I drove a Nissan Micra with the roof down. It was for a laugh in work on a lovely sunny morning around the plot. Never on a public road mind you..

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I love my mini, I only ever drive it with the roof down, even if its a bit chilly and I need a warm hat and jumper. If it's a roof up day then it's the Giulietta.

And there's the crux, convertibles are impracticable and mostly used as a second car for a bit of "fun in the sun". Its an expensive toy that spends a lot of time in my garage. (I do appreciate that I have the funds to have such a toy and others may not).

I'm the 6th owner of my Cooper S, its got 56K on the clock of which I have done about 8k in the 3.5 years I have had it. It was registered in March 2009. So it has passed through a few sets of hands. Maybe the harsh ride, Bl**dy run flats, they're coming off soon as (being tight!) I had to wear them out first was too much for some owners and to be honest it is a bit rattly for a "BMW"!

Would I sell it, only if I had too or if I wanted something else. Am I embarrassed driving it. No. Had a laugh with some guys in a van as we raced from the lights the other day. Yes, I do get tired of Gay/Hairdresser/Girls car quips. But couldn't care less.

Love the fresh air it brings and the strange array of smells you encounter!!

BUT I could never use it as my daily driver, its too small, the hard top is faster and less crashy and I much prefer the refined drive of my Alfa.

·
Registered
37,675 Posts
We had a pug 207 CC.

Mrs Nick liked it but as a tallish person I found the front windscreen rake too much with the roof down.
Only ever sat in one once, it felt like it was gonna bifurcate me bonce.

The spider was selected over MX-5s and (alas) even the S2000 because it is just that bit more civilised. You don’t feel like you are squashed against the other passenger, the door or the rear bulkhead. At motorway speeds it is civilised even with the roof down and there is enough room for a bag for a weekend away. I’m sure it is structurally compromised compared to the GTV but Mrs Pat complains enough about the spider so adding 10 mph around a corner won’t help.

As for the roof being up, it’s an Alfa, the deck motor is fubar and I haven’t read the manual to work out how to do it manually. :rolleyes:

Nice Bimmer.

·
Registered
9,230 Posts
With sport mode engaged and the roof retracted in the EOS today, it was fabulous. Sure, with the roof up it can be a bit creaky over uneven surfaces and it's a bit heavier than I'd prefer but on a sunny day it's fantastic. On a motorway it's just a good, quiet, comfortable cruiser. Quite expensive to run though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Spent 5 months last year in a 430i through a very hot summer and it was fantastic. I do not have a bad word to say apart from it was purchased for my other half and she decided it was too big and she kept driving her Mini Roadster. When the sun subsided it was replaced.

·
Administrator
45,672 Posts
They're brilliant for doing Blackpool illuminations.

Roof down motoring on a nice day is a lovely experience, but certainly not along the motorway.

And it doesn't really need to be a properly hot day. Anything around or above 15 degrees is fine. That's in a 4 seat convertible. In a 'true' convertible, they're even more well sheltered when open.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts