Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

A sorry day in my life last Thursday when I called my local Alfa Garage in Newcastle and they have told me that there is probably a delay of at least 18 months to buy a Giulia! Simply not good enough and when I hear that my cousin in Florence is picking up his new Giulia on the 1st August 2016 I am green with envy! :(

I hear that the Giulia is delayed again as it has failed road crash tests? is this true? and we are only receiving the demonstrator cars in September 2016 to test drive?

So I decided to pop along to JCT600 and treat myself to a Porsche Panamera. What a lovely ride and I really don't think that I can go back to anything under a V6 after driving this beast!

I still own my Classic S3 Graduate for summer drives with rook down though :)

Cheers

Len

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,552 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Crash test reports were sensationalist nonsense.

The Giulia taking so long to get to the UK is either something to do with RHD production or with possible higher than anticipated initial demand, I'd say.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have a Mk1 TT 225-Sline, which I use everyday and absolutely love it.

I also have a GTV V6 and I almost considered selling it, plus the above to go with a TTS black edition or TT-RS, as a single car for everything.

I'm keeping the GTV, it sounds and looks too awesome and won't be sold.

Both cars are modern classics, but the Alfa has some kind of hypnotic addiction!!

Just have German for the everyday and a modern or older classic Alfa for those ultra special driving moments :)

But, I'm sure many will say Alfa all day, everyday :lol:

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Enjoy the Porsche. They've grown on me a little but not enough to buy one.
What engine did you get in it?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Don't feel bad. Remember, Alfa have deserted you, not the other way around. So many Alfisti have done the same.

We went Japanese for our new car. No regrets. No Alfa Coupe on the horizon.

The trouble is, once you switch marques and realise just how good they are, Alfa will need to build something truly exceptional to get you back (and that's before you get to the dealers).

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
LOL! I agree. If it was mine I'll only use it in the dark and hope no one sees me. It is such an ugly car.
Oh the irony, given your member car
:jester: :lol:

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I do believe a change is quite often as good as a rest.
I changed to Alfa and have not looked back. I only have Italian cars. Of course that could and possibly will change in the future.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL! I agree. If it was mine I'll only use it in the dark and hope no one sees me. It is such an ugly car. But you obviously like it, congrats and enjoy it!
What!!! A Panamera ugly! lol

Think you have been looking at the wrong car mate!

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
I've never had a problem with the Panamera's looks - Top Gear bandwagon if you ask me. It's certainly better looking than a 911. :thumbs:

Not sure about that diesel unit though. :thinking:

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
I apreciate the Panemera it is well engineered, but IMO it is ugly.

Still you cannot see the outside whilst you are having fun driving it.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I too don't have a problem with the looks of the Porsche, always get a second look from me:thumbup: but diesel:paperbag:

Anyway, your money, your choice, good luck and happy motoring:thumbup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
The Panamera is a bit of an upgrade from any of the Alfas - those who are against diesels surely haven't experienced the feeling of unburstable torque pushing you forward from a 3 litre, 6 cylinder turbo diesel at pretty much any speed , it is very addictive! In real life motoring, there is no delay in mid-range acceleration, whereas the petrol equivalents always seem to take a breath and drop down two gears before they get going. And the diesels are incredibly economical whilst they are doing it. One of my memorable drives was in a new BMW 730D - mainly motorway but an amazing 49.8 mpg without really trying.

Intelligent choice!

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I've never had a problem with the Panamera's looks - Top Gear bandwagon if you ask me. It's certainly better looking than a 911. :thumbs:

Not sure about that diesel unit though. :thinking:
No, no, noooo. 911's I like quite a lot. As my previous post, the Panamera has grown on me a little. I do like 911's though and quite a lot.
I think the diesel is a great choice for the Panamera. Big heavy(ish) car.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
The Panamera is a bit of an upgrade from any of the Alfas - those who are against diesels surely haven't experienced the feeling of unburstable torque pushing you forward from a 3 litre, 6 cylinder turbo diesel at pretty much any speed , it is very addictive! In real life motoring, there is no delay in mid-range acceleration, whereas the petrol equivalents always seem to take a breath and drop down two gears before they get going. And the diesels are incredibly economical whilst they are doing it. One of my memorable drives was in a new BMW 730D - mainly motorway but an amazing 49.8 mpg without really trying.

Intelligent choice!
I have been in a 335d, and they are rather astonishing.

But I must protest that the TBi in the Giulietta has a very similar feeling of pull. While the 340 N·m of torque is only just over half that of a 335d, the TBi does remarkably well at delivering it. Despite the Marmite appearance, the engine is very capable and delivers somewhere between what a 320d and a 325d N47D20 can in terms of sensation. This sort of makes sense given the 0-62 time is very similar.

I was worried that the GQV wouldn't pick up very easily even despite its turbo unit, but actually, even in 5th it picks up really well in D mode and will still deliver a very capable shunt. Well, at least ours does. :lol: This is slightly in contrast to my experience of the TFSI unit, which does seem to require you to drop down a gear or two in order for the car to pick up. Seems that Alfa actually got it right in terms of the mapping compared to rivals; even if other parts of the car are somewhat lower rated.

Actually, I think the gearbox is the best asset for these diesels. The 600 speed gearbox in the BMW 335d is what keeps the car on track at all times, and you hardly know it is there doing anything. The sound isn't bad too from the N57D30T1. It sounds like a subdued petrol V6 in Sport+ mode, with the added burble low down the revs.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have the 3.0 V6 Diesel model 300bhp, that is more than enough power for me for my first V6!! :)
Isn't that one of the engines involved in the VW group emissions scandal?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts