Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

bought 2 new contisport 5's 225 40 18 for the front of the giulietta. The tread depth to the min wear
stops is only 5mm. Is this a normal depth. Had hoped to get eaglef1 ASS3 but not yet available.

·
Registered
38,706 Posts
No idea about the tread depth, but they do get pretty bad reviews in terms of wear.

Continental Sport Contact 5 - Tyre Reviews

Can you not get the Eagle Assymetric 2 over there? I know they are the older model but they are still an exceptional tyre by most peoples standards. (I love mine ;))

·
Registered
38,706 Posts
£30 less per tyre is a lot, how much did you pay for them?

I got my Eagles through tyreleader for £62 each and paid a local garage £10 per tyre to fit.

On my Golf I put Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on, and they only lasted 8000 miles.

The Dunlop SP sport Fast response which I had on before lasted 18,000 miles

Dunlops were £75 each and uniroyals £55 each. So although the Dunlops were more expensive to buy they worked out cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
The tread depth to the min wear stops is only 5mm.
Is this a normal depth.
How high are the wear indicators?

8mm total tread depth is normal, some 7mm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tyres fitted, balanced and disposal of the old ones would be approx UK £95 each. The min tread wear depth should be 1.6mm if the tyres are euro legal so total depth is 6.6mm.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Also note that some grooves are not full depth, so will bottom out before the tyre is at full wear.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I bought contisport 5s in 225/45 17's. I did notice that the grooves don't look too deep but I wasn't sure whether it was an illusion or not. Some grooves are quite narrow and some are variable width.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
I bought contisport 5s in 225/45 17's. I did notice that the grooves don't look too deep but I wasn't sure whether it was an illusion or not. Some grooves are quite narrow and some are variable width.
I had a search around and some sites do list the tread depth.
I does look like the CS5 have a shallower depth than most (think it listed 6.8mm for the std version and 7.1mm for the A0 version.).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm currently running these on the front of my G. I've found them useless in the wet and worse the less tread they have obviously!! Not very confidence provoking esp. when cornering in the wet! They were just over £200 for the pair fitted (225/40r18) and have lasted a year (approx. 11,000 miles). Is that normal for tyres on the G or could it be that Continental's wear quicker? I'm moving to Toyo's in the next week so i'll keep you posted on how I find them.

·
Registered
38,706 Posts
If you look at consumer tyre review sites such as tyretest.com, it does seem that the CS5's wear quicker than most.

I got over 20k from a set of Asymetric 2 Goodyears with a couple of rotations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts