Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!
It's been a while....I've been reviewing my main car, a Honda Accord tourer (we have two big dogs) and I could do with up-dating the vehicle. I've been looking at a Merc estate and could possibly chop both cars in but obviously would get practically nothing for the Spider.
As you know I've spent a small fortune on the car, all belts and variator done, the list is endless.The car has only done 44K and though I say it myself is in superb condition...it would come with an additional set of pristine 16" rims, currently running on fully re-furbed 17" Teledials and a virtually brand new Monsoon outdoor cover (£100 +).
I know the market is crap and it's the wrong time of the year to sell a convertible, but believe me not many come along in this condition! I'm not going to give it away either.....what do you think? Could make someone a very nice Christmas present!

SS100182.jpg [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I guess the question would be, why spend so much on the Spider if you needed a wagon? :) Solution: sell the Accord and buy a 156 Sportwagon (cheaper).
Or keep what you have, does the Accord need some improvements? Maybe once you've treated it like the Spider, you'll want to keep it :) for example have you refurbed its wheels and does it have a leather interior? Is the engine a VTEC or 'standard' 2.2, how are the rocker clearances (they get noisy with age but respond well to fettling), auto or manual... what about new shocks and control arms, surely scope for improvements somewhere :lol:

I spent most of the last two weeks 'restoring' a 1995 FIAT Punto 55. The full strip and respray was worth about double the market value, but it's pretty special now (and still only a Punto 55). My friend has had it for 17 years (his only car), parents bought it brand new. Obviously, such a car is difficult to replace; like selling a child!

It's possible to spend almost nothing on keeping an old car on the road (my 164 has had only an oil change in the last two years, I've overlooked its flaking clearcoat and faded interior.) But sometimes, loyalty pays... I think you should persevere with the Accord. A friend had one and it seemed quite rewarding.

And at least by keeping the Spider, you won't be spending any more on it?

-Alex

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi alex!
As always the voice of reason and common sense.....the Honda is a 2006 Accord Executive 2.2 diesel, it has all the bells and whistles and just done 66k. The car has been bomb proof since I brought it two years ago and apart from servicing has cost me nothing and averages 42-50 mpg. (the more I type the more I question my thought process!)
The car is due for a set of tyres, discs and pads all round....I suppose the dilemma is do you let it go now whilst it still has some residual value or spend some money on it and keep it so it's of less value. Don't get me wrong I've been really pleased with the Honda, wheels are spot on and leather interior,in fairness the sportwagon is too high on the back and too small for my monstrous mutts!

Swiss:confused:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Oh, that's a much nicer Accord than the 1994-ish model I was envisaging; I think you need to keep it :) I know how hard it is to get past that two-year point where you want something better! But the question is, how much better... in the long run the Honda is going to cost less than an Audi or a Merc yet is probably more 'exclusive' so resale/residuals may be better than you think. It sounds an ideal car for your needs. And any car needs maintenance at some point.

Sorry I was rather blunt before and your Spider is beautiful, by the way :)
Selling it would be stealing from Peter to pay Paul. I really think you'll find it will be reliable after the work you've done. Mine is!

-Alex

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I agree with much of the above but am still very new to Alfa and my Spider. I do realise I could do with something that at least has rear seats. An Alfa 159 or GT perhaps :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts