·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
36,832 Posts
Thanks.
An interesting and unsurprising read. There is a clear lack of commitment to Alfa and a lack of appropriate core Fiat models. It's Lancia all over again but somebody may want to buy Alfa and recreate it using their own platforms , if anybody needs another brand?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I disagree that it's "unlikely [...] North Americans will ever [...] understand what Alfa Romeo stands for". I lived in California for 7 years, and I've been in the Washington, DC area for over 3, people who know cars, all know the Alfa Romeo brand, and remember the Spider. It's actually a recognized brand, and the 4C has had success here. Now as to whether it is understood what Marchionne wants the Alfa Romeo brand to stand for, that's an entirely different topic. :jester:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
The Giulia looks exactly like the car Fiat/Alfa
should have launched in the US a decade ago.

Can't see it working there now.
Needs a marketing hook. Like a hybrid performance
car for the masses or such like.
Not sure the QV has enough halo.

Fiat fumbled the ball with the 500L.
Reliability snd even a lack of parts reading some FiatForum
posts. :(

Although I doubt VAG will be in a position to buy
anything after the US legal system gets
its fangs into them.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I read that article ... speculation and conjecture... no real facts...

"April 29, 2016: This article was edited from a previous version that mistakenly said Yugo cars were built by Hyundai. "

When I saw that I thought that summed it up ...

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,561 Posts
Do we pick and choose what car pundits, journalists and the media report as fact? If the reporter who wrote that article was so clever or had such conclusive inside information, then he wouldnt be simply a journalist, he'd be an industrial or financial tycoon himself. If I was a journalist and I wanted to get my article noticed I'd be inclined to write something similar. He probably used to work for the Canadian version of the Daily Mail.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speculative nature of the piece had me considering not posting it but I still thought it was interesting enough that it might spark a discussion.

In my defence I never said this was reporting, or written by a journalist. Yes, it was in a relatively respected, left-leaning paper, but papers publish columnists and opinions too. This definitely falls into the latter category. I just thought the membership here might like to read a perspective from outside (for the most part) of their own borders.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The Giulia looks exactly like the car Fiat/Alfa
should have launched in the US a decade ago.

Can't see it working there now.
Needs a marketing hook. Like a hybrid performance
car for the masses or such like.
Not sure the QV has enough halo.

Fiat fumbled the ball with the 500L.
Reliability snd even a lack of parts reading some FiatForum
posts. :(

Although I doubt VAG will be in a position to buy
anything after the US legal system gets
its fangs into them.

the Giulia is also to be the new dodge charger, well the chassis at least. Likely a chrysler aswell.

the QV has already beaten the charger srt8 aroundthe ring, so it's not THAT slow

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The speculative nature of the piece had me considering not posting it but I still thought it was interesting enough that it might spark a discussion.

In my defence I never said this was reporting, or written by a journalist. Yes, it was in a relatively respected, left-leaning paper, but papers publish columnists and opinions too. This definitely falls into the latter category. I just thought the membership here might like to read a perspective from outside (for the most part) of their own borders.
alway interested in perspective, but I don't think Marchione is interested in breaking up FCA. Did you see what he makes everyday? that'll end then.

He might be looking for another merger though...

Gas prices are never going to $100 per barrel again as there's just too much oil available right now. If prices go up, capped wells will open again.

That's why FCA is developping big vehicles again, but they will continue to make smaller and more efficient cars in Europe. Some of these will be available in or at least compatible with the US market.

Jeep does seem to sell well, makes sense to invest in that kind of vehicles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts