Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here contact previous owners of there cars to try and trace service history etc..

will the dvla give previous owners details or is there another way.

Is it worth doing has anybody had good result this way..

Does anybody on here have any advice please

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I believe you can send a letter to the DVLA who will then forward it to the previous owner for a charge on your behalf. It is of course then up to the previous owner if they want to respond or not. It has happened to me when people try and buy my private registration.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks any idea of the charge.. do you have to send it with the letter or do the dvla contact you after the letter has been received.

thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have the service history of the car you can ring the relevant dealers who keep it all logged on computer, I have just done this on my newly aquired gt and now have all parts changed information from every service with the exact date of the cambelt changes, there is also a gov website that lists mot failures and the reason for the failure and also any advisories it may have had, again I have just done this and pretty much have learnt whats been changed the last 8 years

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont have a full history thats the issue.. car runs lovely and just had a full service belts pump idlers etc and lots of front suspension items from jamie at the alfa workshop so its all good now.

have a lots of stuff from auto lusso but its earlier main dealer more than likely service history is missing and no service book . so trying to peace it together just for my own amusement i guess...

thanks

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks any idea of the charge.. do you have to send it with the letter or do the dvla contact you after the letter has been received.

thanks
You send the letter to the DVLA with the money which I think is about £10, then they forward it on. Sure you should be able to find out from their website.

·
Registered
35 Posts
try the first suppling dealer they can tell you who had the car first, also likely they did the pdi and first service from there they can also esigi the car and that well tell them if any warranty work has been done in the first 3 years and at what dealer you can then try them dealers as most likely has warranty work when in for service. hope this helps.

·
Registered
536 Posts
DVLA charge £5 for a list of every previous owners details, you can then write to them all yourself. I have names and addresses for my 75's owners. Goes back till it was new 24 years ago.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
DVLA charge £5 for a list of every previous owners details, you can then write to them all yourself. I have names and addresses for my 75's owners. Goes back till it was new 24 years ago.
Surprised at that - data protection act etc - I thought they would only forward on?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you get photocopies of the old V5's, if they're not held on a computer then Data Protection doesn't apply.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think you get photocopies of the old V5's, if they're not held on a computer then Data Protection doesn't apply.
You have to write telling DVLA why you want the details and what you are going to do with them.

Yes, they send details of the car (chassis number, engine number etc), copies of the V5's and a summary page listing them in order.
There's also a lovely cover letter threatening you with a £5000 fine if you do anything naughty with the details. :tut:

·
Registered
13,590 Posts
Does anybody here contact previous owners of there cars to try and trace service history etc..

will the dvla give previous owners details or is there another way.

Is it worth doing has anybody had good result this way..

Does anybody on here have any advice please
Only ever did this once (traced a previous owner). I had a Mondial with quite extensive history (as they do). With the history there were many of the previous owners addresses and names etc.
Due to a bit of a gap I spoke to the third owner (car had, had seven or eight inc. me I think).

Very useful for me at the time.

I was traced on my current Fezza by a previous owner (accidentally :p)

At the Silverstone Ferrari Racing Day in September 2012 I met a previous owner of my current Fezza as he noticed it walking by.
We went to his beautiful house last year when doing the Pininfarina record attempt (I went in the Spider :)) and he gave me the original KM speedometer (mine was imported from Malaysia by Ferrari UK), so the car is now 'complete' :)

Worth it IMHO

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
I have contacted previous owners before to try and track service history on a car I bought from an independent garage..

I wrote a letter to the previously registered keeper who told me that when he had PX'ed the car in at a main dealer he had given them the service history.

So to cut a long story short the Alfa dealer had kept the history then auctioned the car off. And not only that gave me a telling off for contacting the previous keeper. :rant:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
They told you off?:wow:

I actually paid a visit to the first owner of my first Sprint and spoke to the father of the first owner who told me that she only used the car for work once a week when she did her food shop on the way home, which confirmed the very low mileage.

He also told me she sold it to a friend as it was too fast for her. That was a pretty good clue as to who was responsible for the need for a new rear quarter, evidenced by better than factory welding on one side!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Also,

It's worth mentioning that the DVLA also sell your details to private companies (including your local council) for tickets etc... Its something like £2.50

Good idea to send them a notice in advance stating that if they do this then you want paying as it's your data.

Charge them what you like :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts