Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone..decided to try a more descriptive title so that someone might be able to help me.

Yesterday car wouldn't do over 0.8 bar on the turbo on the final hill up to work (was fine up to this point.

On the way home from work got 5 mins from home..130 degrees on the temp gauge limped it home after giving it 30 minutes to cool down. (weirdly the fan refused to come on thought)

Got to take engine plastic cover off to see if it's obvious as to the problem. But looking at it last night with the key in the slot there is a continuous beep eminating from the passenger side firewall..but not INSIDE the car, but underneath the bonnet. The noise is there if the bonnet is open or closed (just in case these cars have a bonnet alarm of some description) although it's obviously a lot quieter with the bonnet closed.

Any clues before I give variava a ring on Monday?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Running it up to temp now! The coolant bottle was empty but no obvious signs of leakage ad it's only needed 1 expansion bottles worth

Using fiatecuscan actuating coolant fan 1 does nothing
Actuating 2 causes a on slow down on off repeated 3 times

Needle on the dash is reading 10 degrees ish higher than the ecu says it is

Will turn air con on when it's stopped raining

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Check the bleed valve on the coolant rail for possible leak:-
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/general-alfa-discussion/192770-2-4-jtd-please-check.html
The AC is a seperate fan isn't it? So that working won't mean much will it?
As I remember it the same fan 'system' is employed by both circuits. There is a low speed response and a high speed response both triggered by either A/C or Engine Coolant. The reason for this design is that both rads are cooled by the same fans so their is no point in dividing the circuits. The 'logics' are controlled in the engine ECU.

With just one fan going it's been triggered by the low speed circuit. (on some there is only one fan that just turns slowly).

So, it's important to find weather the fan works differently for A/C or Engine.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys you've all been brilliant :)

Bizarrely, it seems to have fixed itself...I think i'm losing a little amount of water on a daily basis. Annoyingly when the AA man turned up to recover it back to variava's he wasn't allowed because could we make it overheat? Could we baggery!

Since then it's gone to Nottingham and back and a few other trips over the weekend and i'm going to keep an eye on it this week, and then book it in next week once i've got my second car MOT'd and taxed and the weathers a bit sunnier. (as it's a 1962 MG midget...which i was absolutely blown away by...inherited it after my dad died 18 months ago, and it hasn't been run for TWO YEARS...it took 10 minutes to find the fuel pump switch and with a bit of gentle coxing of the accelerator pedal, ROARED into life!)

I'll let you know how i get on.

Would a water pump on it's last legs use 1/3rd of the level between max and min in the coolant bottle after 60 -70 miles?

Also took the engine cover off to check the coolant distribution pipe plastic bungs..still there! (well 1 of them anyway didn't spot the second)

As said you guys are a great help!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Would a water pump on it's last legs use 1/3rd of the level between max and min in the coolant bottle after 60 -70 miles?
If the impelller is loose on the shaft (common problem) circulation of coolant will stop and engine will overheat => reservoir cap will open to release pressure => lost of coolant.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Guys you've all been brilliant :)

Bizarrely, it seems to have fixed itself...I think i'm losing a little amount of water on a daily basis. Annoyingly when the AA man turned up to recover it back to variava's he wasn't allowed because could we make it overheat? Could we baggery!

Since then it's gone to Nottingham and back and a few other trips over the weekend and i'm going to keep an eye on it this week, and then book it in next week once i've got my second car MOT'd and taxed and the weathers a bit sunnier. (as it's a 1962 MG midget...which i was absolutely blown away by...inherited it after my dad died 18 months ago, and it hasn't been run for TWO YEARS...it took 10 minutes to find the fuel pump switch and with a bit of gentle coxing of the accelerator pedal, ROARED into life!)

I'll let you know how i get on.

Also took the engine cover off to check the coolant distribution pipe plastic bungs..still there! (well 1 of them anyway didn't spot the second)As said you guys are a great help!
ok well its along shot but check the plastic valve on the heater matrix pipe just below the header tank, I had a weaping leak that only showed it self when ticking over for long periods in traffic.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuni...ad-formally-2-4-20v-p-box-31.html#post3645562
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts