Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a few years now since my 156 2.0 t.Spark was killed by a man who "didnt see the roundabout"

I am thinking about returning.... the questions is, do I go for a 2.0 again or for a V6. Does the V6 really give you more bang for your buck?

Is it really worth the extra petrol and insurance for 40 more bhp, or just get a 2.0 and mod with a few well chosen mods.....

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
I'm not sure mate, the last 2.5 V6 I drove was quite un-inspiring in terms of power.. My old rempapped JTD felt livelier! I've not drove a 2.0 TS, can't imagine it feels better though.

You gain a big lump over the front wheels with the V6, which blunts some of those extra 40 horses. But you gain that noise, and the potential to upgrade to a Q2 limited slip differential for £480 supplied and fitted, which unfortunately doesn't fit the TSpark gearboxes..

If you were to get a cheap, 2.0 TS with sportpack, you already have quite a sorted car. However, the V6 would immediatly need a new set of good shocks and springs for it to out-handle a TS with Sport Pack.

Have you thought about a 3.0 V6 GTV?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the info, not intrested in the GTV, I have an S2000 as well so I need the 4 seats in this car.

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Ah, I was thinking something to replace the S2000, didn't realise it was going to complement it :)

In that case, a 156 2.5 V6 is probably right for you, as you have the performance/handling compromise in the S2000, the 156 makes a nice cruiser that you can throw about a bit, and won't be a let-down performance-wise. My 156 is my weekend toy, totally different kettle of fish.. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This car will be to replace a Diesel Mundaino, I only work 4 miles from home now so not require the diesel anymore.

The only thing that worries me about the 156 is boot space.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
with the v6 you get the sound, the power and the great feeling of an arese V6 under the bonnet! :cool:

I'd go for it. Boot space aint bad. It it concerns you that much, get a sportwagon. :)

·
Registered
38,250 Posts
I have had 2 156 V6's and a 156 2.0 TS (all with sportpack), and overall the TS is a better car. It handles a lot better, is not a massive amount slower and is better on fuel.

However the V6 does have a couple of better points...

The engine sounds better, it is a bit faster, has 6 gears and is slightly more tolerant of neglect. However some people have had problems with the differentials failing inside the gearbox.

The 3 litre as fitted to the GTV is a far better engine than the 2.5 IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question, do we have any track racing guys here.

Another thought it to keep my current cars and get an Alfa and strip it out, mod it up and track it.

Just got the Alfa bug again I think.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I have to add a +1 to the TS, I had a 2.0 '98 until last year and it was a great car with great handling, not the fastest in a straight line, but great fun round the corners ...

... just wished I'd kept an eye on the oil level :(

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Another question, do we have any track racing guys here.

Another thought it to keep my current cars and get an Alfa and strip it out, mod it up and track it.

Just got the Alfa bug again I think.
Ask Explosive Alfa ;)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I've had a 156 2.0/2.4 JTD, GT 1.9 JTD and GTV V6.

2.0 JTS- Revvy, fun, but not that rapid
2.4 JTD - Feels quick, sounds good for a diesel (apart from idle), but no V6
3.0 V6 - What an engine!!!, revvy, sounds amazing, bags of torque (my favourite), widely debated to be one of the best engines ever made - could you have lived not owning one? I couldn't.
1.9 JTD - Feels constrained, doesn't like revs, bit rattly but overall it pulls well and is economical.

I would go for the 156 GTA :) - serious style/power/presence and practicality

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
The V6 is miles cooler. I've not driven a 2.0 but was using a 1.8 for a few days and definitely found it more chuckable than my V6, but I really missed the brutal roar of the engine and the bags of torque.

As has been said the 2.0 is a great engine, but the 2.5 is just something else. If you get the twin spark you may just be left wondering 'what if I'd got the V6.....' ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GTA's do look nice but they dont do them in the facelift version do they.

I would really want the facelift version as I have this thing about not buying the same car twice, if its the facelift version I buy I can justify it to myself :lol:

·
Registered
38,250 Posts
Facelift V6's are pretty rare, you will have a job finding one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts