Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 GT has 9 months warranty left. As well as that my circumstances are changing and I will be increasing my annual mileage to approx 25K (currently >10K). I will be movingfrom an urban location to a very rural one, with the usual rural road conditions.

I am guessing that I am better off selling my GT while it still has some warranty... based on how I have got on with it so far, a move to a saloon car is on the cards. The obvious move is to a 159, but I am not convinced.

I know the 159 has been slagged off for being a bit of a 'fatty' and a dull drive compared to a 156, but is it a better car than the Bavarians produce? By this I mean the balance of looks & handling Vs safety, comfort (& depreciation!).

I am hoping to be conviced to stay with an Alfa......... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I travel through mainly rural areas and my modified GT is a pain, I borrowed a Brera and tested it on the same roads and was very impressed with how it coped with the poor road quality. My experience of rural in Ireland though was a lot better than rural round here i have to say, some nice roads over there.

Assuming you are looking at a diesel again the 2.4 JTD Alfa 159 is no more lardy than your typical 3 BMW 2.5d saloon, its the Q4 that adds all the weight but then you do get a quality 4wd system. Obviously the BMW has advantages in driveline layout and depreciation but a number of comparative reviews haven't really said a great deal for or againts either car, a 159 is probably worth a shot I'd imagine theres not much to choose between them unless its final value is an important number to you. 25k a year is going to hammer the price on both cars to be honest.

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
I think Alfa's residuals have started improving with the GT and the 159/Brera will be a further step in the right direction. Supply is limited (supposedly built on order) and the cars are a tangible step up in quality.

Go for a 159 mate :D

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
If you really like the GT then getting some proper dampers/shocks would dramatically improve the way the car handles any road surface. However any car with low profile tyes will have a hard time on very rough roads no matter what you do.....

I a have a 147 with Koni Adjustables,standard springs and 17" rims and the car copes very well rough sealed roads. It has a total dislike to dirt/gravel roads and corregations......

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi

I drive to work and back on country roads and my Veloce 156 JTD is, to say the least, poor/a pain. I had a 159 as a loan car and it was a revelation. On my experience you should borrow a loan 159 from your dealer and try it. A real leap forward.

Nick

·
Registered
2017 Guilia Speciale
381 Posts
If you go for a 159 on a 3 year PCP the guaranteed value at the end of the term is 55%, which is well into BMW territory. As somebody has already said, supply is limited. When I recently bought my GT the dealer told me that Alfa allowed them to sell only 4 159's per month and that no discount was to be given. I guess they don't want a repeat of the 156's huge drop in value.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I travel through mainly rural areas and my modified GT is a pain, I borrowed a Brera and tested it on the same roads and was very impressed with how it coped with the poor road quality.
QUOTE]

hi sandys - why a pain? mine seems ok on smaller roads - do you mean ride to harsh, or damping etc not right

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a comprehensive test drive of a 159 is the only way to go.... does anybody have any idea when the new 1.9JTD 175 / 200BHP engines will be available? The 2.4 JTD starts @ 44,800 over here due to tax based on engine size......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts