Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am considering buying a brand new Veloce and thinking about treading my Alfa Spider in for one.

I know the car hasn't been out very long but is there anything I need to know? Pros and cons of the car? Things to avoid or highly recommended?

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Things to avoid? Yes, dont waste any time get an buy one!

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Apparently the interior isn't as nice as an Audi and Golf R has better lease deals
And a Hyundai has a better warranty. ;-)

Reactions: danieldvblue

·
Registered
42 Posts
being told customer orders will stop at the end of next week, if you want something to your exact spec. Order window opens again in June.
plenty of cars supposedly available (already built) but may not match your spec.

not sure if that's a dealer trying to twist my arm in to giving an order quickly.

one thing I'm finding, is that the wheels are available from Italy for about £100ish more than the upgrade cost - so if you want 2 sets of wheels (Winter/Summer), going with standard and buying offline is maybe better.
Its very easy to get the spec over £40k and incur the extra road tax for years 2-5 of £300 extra.

Reactions: peterbentley
S

·
0 Posts
Probably worth mentioning that you probably won't see above 30mpg unless you're on the motorway for a lot of the time, even taking it really steady. Should improve over time though - I've only done 750 miles so far.

The standard speakers aren't amazing, the HK isn't worth it apparently, so maybe worth looking at the mid option if it's something you're interested in?

Also, if you look at speccing any of the 'packs' check out what's included beforehand - the Veloce comes with a lot as standard.

Apart from that, it's a fantastic car. The drive and ride more than make up for any shortcomings. Mines petty much standard spec-wise, just a few asthethic changes, ie metallic paint, wheels, tinted rear windows, brake callipers.

S

·
0 Posts
Hmm I manage 30mpg in a Quadrifoglio so I would expect a bit more
So did I!

I've mentioned in a previous post that my last car (MK3 Octavia VRS 230 mapped to 288bhp) managed to easily average 36 mpg on my commute, whereas I've not touched 30 yet in the Veloce.

Again, could be the fact it's new, could be the cold weather etc but I was expecting roughly the same mpg, not 20% worse for the same capacity and power.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Im most of the time in manual and D mode and i get around 28 mpg. Thats in city roads, so a lot of stopping..

Im trying to test on full tank with automatic and A mode to see how much can it be improved but i always find myself switching the knobs... Oh well..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is consumption a big issue really? If it is you would not be looking a Veloce, nor an Alfa for that matter.

One thing you should know is that buying a Veloce will soon have you questioning whether you should have saved a bit longer for a Quadrifoglio. (Because the Veloce being as good as it is will leave you wondering how good the Q must be!)

S

·
0 Posts
Im trying to test on full tank with automatic and A mode to see how much can it be improved but i always find myself switching the knobs... Oh well..
Same here ... I try not to floor it as it's still bedding it, but I just can't resist. Really is a wonderful car ?

S

·
0 Posts
Is consumption a big issue really? If it is you would not be looking a Veloce, nor an Alfa for that matter.

One thing you should know is that buying a Veloce will soon have you questioning whether you should have saved a bit longer for a Quadrifoglio. (Because the Veloce being as good as it is will leave you wondering how good the Q must be!)
Yeah, after my three years with this one's up I'm hoping there'll have been a facelift, or even the much rumoured coupe version.

If so, it may every well end up being a QF next. Just couldn't justify it this time around - too much going on for me over the next 2 years.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Even if you drive like a complete [email protected] you'll get more than 26mpg, well that's my personal experience.

Your friends / relatives will go on constantly about the poor reliability of your car, whether it is actually unreliable or not, them taking their cars in for warranty and recall work doesn't seem to count.

Don't pay full whack, Carwow is a good way to find realistic prices, or just call Beechdale in Derby.

Tyre scrub at low speed & full lock - normal due to steering geometry - you'll benefit from that once on the move.

Steering is very quick, watch that post as you turn right out of the yard at Beechdale.

It bleeps when you lock/unlock it but you're used to that and have the dealer turn the alarm motion sensitivity down - not a bit - all the way down - or you'll be going back to have it done again.

If I was buying it again I'd get the LSD, Android auto and leather dash (but still Alfa Red with Tan leather & turbine wheels).

It's not very easy to get out of if you're a tall fatty (I agree with Clarkson on this), but you soon get the knack.

If you press the button to turn the interior lights on or off - it is happening - don't press it again - just wait - any second now - ah there they go.

Whatever you've heard about the infotainment being sub-standard, it's fine, audio quality is fine for normal person in a car, lack of touchscreen is a bonus, the knob is much more intuitive and the split-screen function is terrific.

The interior quality is equivalent to similarly priced cars, for example a Jag XE or a LR Evoque

DAB reception is not as good as other cars I have had.

You'll become a better lover.

There's no dip-stick (when you buy an Audi there's always one and sometimes two).

Service intervals are 9000 miles and apparently more expensive than other brands (and they don't necessarily change the oil !!!!)

You'll sometimes go to the window just to have a look.

You'll enjoy your drive to work - I guess you already do - but you won't if you buy a Passat.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
30mpg is no surprise, mixed driving with a reasonable wedge of town driving I get 32mpg in my poor mans Super, but get on the Mway and stay legal plus a bit and I can see 40mpg.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's probably the best advice so far.
In my experience Carwow doesn't always get you the best pricing (there may be a bit of a cartel effect). In my experience Carwow is a good way to get a frame of reference from which to negotiate your purchase - I ended up saving a lot more off the Carwow by going back and forth individually with a few dealers. Plus it helps if you pick something available from their stock or Alfa UK stock (new cars - not allocated to a customer yet). Also with the HK system I found it improved over time after blasting the speakers at a loud volume for a while (can't say the same for my ears). I think picking the right wheels makes a real difference to how the car looks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
(the right) wheels makes a real difference to how the car looks
Yes they do, but "the right wheels" is pretty subjective.

It seems black/dark wheels are the current fashion which suggests they're the 'right' wheel for many people, but I think they look Crap (yes with a capital C) on 90% of the cars they're fitted to - I've never been much of a fashion victim.

I'd pick silver QF style 19" wheels as my first choice and the standard Veloce turbines (which I have on my car) would come second. I'm sure everyone's opinion is different.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I ended up saving a lot more off the Carwow by going back and forth individually with a few dealers.
Perhaps there's more to be had off in the QF price range but I've had three cars through Carwow now and I'm happy with the prices I've paid. I know the dealers pay Carwow a few hundred quid so presumably that saving is there if you find the right dealer then go direct, but life's too short to go backwards and forwards to save a few quid, I realise some people like to haggle, I don't.

I paid £30700 for my Veloce and I've yet to hear of anyone saving "a lot more".

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yes they do, but "the right wheels" is pretty subjective.

It seems black/dark wheels are the current fashion which suggests they're the 'right' wheel for many people, but I think they look Crap (yes with a capital C) on 90% of the cars they're fitted to - I've never been much of a fashion victim.

I'd pick silver QF style 19" wheels as my first choice and the standard Veloce turbines (which I have on my car) would come second. I'm sure everyone's opinion is different.
Definitely subjective this one. Personally I couldn't convince myself on the free stock turbines when stood in the showroom, about to put pen to paper, however much I tried to, and wanted to, save some cash. Went for 18" dark 5 holes in the end.

Although, let's face it, the Giuila looks better than any of the competition wearing any shoes, in my opinion!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 59 Posts