Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have an '08 159 Ti JTDm (150bhp). I've had it for a year and love everything about it - except the engine. I can't get used to the turbo lag (it's my first diesel car in my 20 years of driving). Before the 159, I had a 2.0 166 Twinspark for 6 years. It really was a peach of an engine.

I've been been mulling over a remap to get a more smooth power response. I do very low mileage (5k per year), so I'm not fussed about fuel economy. The only reason I bought a diesel was because I couldn't find a petrol in Ti spec at the time. Ideally, I'd love a 1750 TBi Ti SW, but they're extremely rare - even in the UK.

Has anybody here had a remap done on the 1.9 JTDm engine? If so, what were the results & would you recommend getting it done? Would it make a real difference to the driving experience, or should I just continue to hold out for a suitable TBi?

I've read through the old thread here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/republic-of-ireland/203858-remap-chip-tuning-1-9-jtdm-any-good-garage-ireland.html but would really love to get some first-hand insight from anybody who's remapped theirs.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
A remap isn't going to help much with turbo lag - it can't change the laws of physics. I suspect it isn't turbo lag that you're finding problematic but the lack of torque at low revs. A remap might help in this respect but are you sure that your engine is running as well as it should be? I haven't found low-down oomph lacking at all in our JTD since I got it running properly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A remap isn't going to help much with turbo lag - it can't change the laws of physics. I suspect it isn't turbo lag that you're finding problematic but the lack of torque at low revs. A remap might help in this respect but are you sure that your engine is running as well as it should be? I haven't found low-down oomph lacking at all in our JTD since I got it running properly.
Gerry at Ti services it, so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong. I can't take to the engine. It's just slow to pull away. Maybe it's because I do mostly short runs and my old 166 was so much better suited to the low mileage. Once the 159 revs are up at all, it takes off. It's a dream on the motorway.

Solution #1:
Alfa Romeo 159 1.8 1750TBi TI 4dr

Solution #2:
Alfa Romeo 159 1.8 1750TBi TI 4dr

Edit: Whoops missed the "SW" :(
Yeah, I've been watching Autotrader UK. Veloces of London really corner the market on the high spec Alfas. They had a couple of 2010/11 159 Ti SW TBis, but after VRT etc, they'd cost
well over €20k. That's big money for a 5 year old Alfa.

Maybe I'll settle for the saloon version instead. Those red ones you posted are nice cars with low mileage.

·
Administrator
87,304 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea it seems to be registered as a lusso but it's in full ti spec seats pedals suspension etc. pictures don't do it justice if I say so myself!!?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea it seems to be registered as a lusso but it's in full ti spec seats pedals suspension etc. pictures don't do it justice if I say so myself!!?
Funny enough, I thought the same thing when I looked at it originally - it has Ti mirrors & trim. No interior pics, so I wasn't sure about the inside.

It only went up a few days ago & I was strongly tempted last week-end to make a belt up north to check it out. Sounds like it was my loss. Ah well...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the engine. I haven't driven a TBi before.

·
Administrator
87,304 Posts
That seems to be a common enough occurrence for Tis to be registered as Lussos, I've noticed it before with other 159s & especially on 156s.
Tis are just Lussos with extras fitted anyway ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had it bought on Tuesday morning after it went up on the Monday was lucky I got in first by the number of calls he was getting. Bargain price in my opinion just hope there's no hidden nasties that gonna bite me!

The interior is the new half leather half suede which is much more comfy than the leather, looks great too. I'm coming out of a 20v jtd 156 so it had a lot to live up to as far as torque goes and it comes very close with no turbo lag at all,pulls from the go and feels lively. Very quiet and very solid built a real difference from the 156 just have to keep feeding her petrol!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had it bought on Tuesday morning after it went up on the Monday was lucky I got in first by the number of calls he was getting. Bargain price in my opinion just hope there's no hidden nasties that gonna bite me!

The interior is the new half leather half suede which is much more comfy than the leather, looks great too. I'm coming out of a 20v jtd 156 so it had a lot to live up to as far as torque goes and it comes very close with no turbo lag at all,pulls from the go and feels lively. Very quiet and very solid built a real difference from the 156 just have to keep feeding her petrol!
Fair play - you got an amazing deal there. It's a great looking car. That 8C red is stunning.

Even for us down south, that would've been a great buy (despite us having to add around €2,900 Irish VRT to re-register it here:cry:)

I was almost hoping the engine would be a disappointment and I could just get on with driving my own. Looks like it's back to Autotrader for me...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Never did figure out how they work out the vrt on cars transferred to the south ?2900 is a lot extra on top tho.

·
Registered
743 Posts
a remap is most definately worth it , car is way better to drive , more flexible with smoother boost uptake , so either have a go in a mapped one or just bite the bullet , you wont regret it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts