Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

I'm pretty sure i can trump you all on mileage in my first 11 months of owning a MiTo so i can tell you what its like now i'm 30,000 miles in since i picked it up from the dealer 01.03.2011

Its been a busy 11 months and for those considering making the change to one of these cars i thought an update would be of use.

I bought the limited edition MiTo 135 BHP Sprint TCT Limited Edition (only 155 registered TCT Sprints in the UK)from Chris Variava in Nottingham.

THE ENGINE

Its is SWEET! 135BHP, 0.5 seconds slower mated to the TCT than the 170BHP version and its better on economy, and its alot cheaper, why waste you money for half a second of pace! Sounding very nice, very pacey and is good to you MPG wise if you don't punish it. Expect MPG of mid to mid-late 40's if you drive sensible, expect 20's if your at max speed(the claimed max speed is also conservative, it does do more) :tut:. 65 on the motorway and 50 on A roads will net you up to 52 mpg. Only down side is it does sound a little raw first thing in the morning for the first 2 miles.

THE GEARBOX

First auto i've owned, but have driven VW DSG, BMW and MERC. Its not as good as the DSG, that is THE 'box. In normal mode it behaves fine and there is no need to do anything except drive and potter around, i love it and will not go back to manual again, Dynamic is a whole different animal. The only way to use the gearbox in Dynamic is to swich into manual and use the paddles if you have them. To me, if your in dynamic, you want manual anyway so this isn't a problem and the change is sweet and responsive when you want to drop gears. You also cannot over rev the engine it will not let you go from 5th to 2nd if your going to hit the limiter. Twin clutch means the change is instant and its a joy to drive. BUT BEWARE - do not use this car in dynamic and auto, you will end up looking like a boy racer because when you brake it will drop to the highest it can in the rev range dropping you at 4-5,000 revs. Stick to manual in dynamic and auto in Normal. In Dynamic, it will change down for you if you are in manual but only if you "forget".(i.e comming up to a round about and stopping it will change from 6th to 4th to second but only if you drop below 1200 revs).

STOP START

My wife's car has it on her BMW and it works great as its a manual so it will switch off and on in line with the clutch peddle. On the TCT it works on stopping and the brake pedal. Stop at a roundabout behind a car that is about to go, the egine kills. Add a Slight turbo lag, auto box and stop start and you have a very dangerous combination in peak hour at roundabouts and in most circumstances i switch it off. People behind you look to go, you look to go as there is a break in the traffic and guess what...the engine is just firing up.:mad: All manufactuers need to re assess this as its dangerous not just Alfa, I genuinely am amazed i have not had someone run into the back of me. I have got the hang of it if i leave it on but, i will be speaking to the dealer to see if it can be switched off perm.

OTHER AREAS

No Rattles yet, well built and so far reliable. I had major worries when i picked this car up that i would be constantly onto the AA but, its been great. Servicing seems expensive but so are all cars. A new pair of Michelins has just cost me £230 on the front at 29500 so lean on tyres too.

COMPLAINTS

STOP START & STIFF SUSPENSION - mines on 16" 195/55 tyres, you guys and gals on 17" rims must be breaking your backs on the lower profile tyres. (and i'm ealry thirties before i get crys of "old man!")

If your heading for a change, test drive the TCT, you maybe suprised at what you drive......:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for this - considering a 135, but the manual version. Interesting what you say about the start-stop. I can see how it would be weird in an auto!

Good to hear the tyres last quite well too.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Good review Rantos.

Not a fan of automatics at all, my only experience being a 320d automatic which was not my cup of tea, even though BMW autos are supposed to be good. however what you say is interesting and makes me curious.

@washdog

tyre life will depend almost completely on which ones you get stuck on you car out of the factory/by the last owner

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great review. This is what the forum should be about. Interesting fact about the 0-60 being 0.5 sec slower than the QV. Hope you keep on enjoying it.

C

·
0 Posts
A very informative review :thumbs:

I know what you mean about the ride, that was one of the reasons why I bought the 170 after test driving both but then I'm an old git in my 40s with a back problem.

You've done well to get that mileage out of your front tyres, I guess your car's wheel alignment was correct - unlike mine :(

What I would really like to see is a QV with a TCT box.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Thanks for this superb review :thumbs: The Myth (135 manual on 17" ) has been on FSD's for @ a year now. They are a bit pricey but transformed the ride and handling.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Sounds good mate. had a bmw auto before and didnt like the gear box much.

Never tried the tct in a mito but would like to try.

Not too sure abojt what tou said about about the qv being a waste of money thou... Although it might only be 0.5 sec faster to 60, after that it will leave a 135 far behind. i find mine struggles to put the power down untill about 50 but then after that it flys, this is where you will see tbe extra power

D

·
0 Posts
re the TCT Start & Stop,
Cars built from late December 11 on have a 2 second delay before stopping, this combined with being able to start car by tapping paddles makes such a difference
DB

·
Registered
961 Posts
Are you comparing the 7 speed dsg to TCT as that is a dry clutch as well or the 6 speed dsg which has different characteristics as its a wet clutch system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ towney

Fair one, "waste" might have been a wrong choice of words, i was dubious about writting an article as it as a matter of opinion. What i will say is that a mini cooper S for similar money is a second quicker - mid 6's. I don't see (extras aside) on the 170bhp performance half a second and 5mph for nearly 3k as value for money especially when it is going to cost you more up front and more at the pump. if it as doing low to mid 6's competing with other hot cars i'd not have mentioned it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@daveb257

...that is an improvement thanks, thats a software update and i'll get it as part of the warranty at 36k. cheers for that i'll request it. :)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Similar money? I thought a cooper s is around 25k? Also the mini is 1.6.

Saying all that i had a race with a works cooper s about 3 months ago and there was nothing in it. 0-60 times sells cars but in the real world that doesnt mean they are going to be faster through out the whole range, as i proved. I had mine remapped when i done this race

i think now after having a full exaust system and remap mine would do 0-60 in about 6.6.

M

·
0 Posts
Hi to all,

COMPLAINTS

STOP START & STIFF SUSPENSION - mines on 16" 195/55 tyres, you guys and gals on 17" rims must be breaking your backs on the lower profile tyres. (and i'm ealry thirties before i get crys of "old :
After owning a Mito on the 16", 17" and 18" I can honestly say the ride is pretty much the same regardless. It's a shame Alfa didn't spend abit more money on a better ride set-up as its the only gripe I really have with the driving experience. It is something that makes the QV better as it has a better suspension system! That said i don't think the ride is unbearable....just wish they had made it abit smoother sometimes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@towney

Seriously ...you win (patronising clap of hands in your direction).
I wrote this to help others looking at the car not get into a pointless bun fight over really trivial and worthless comments. Others on here have raised sensible valid points to help others. I merely questioned the need to spend 3k more for the 170BHP for slight performance gains, not get into a bun fight over every word i wrote nor cause any offence to those that had one, i'd love one but couldn't justify the cost as explained. For info:

MINI UK -From £18075

Car Configurator Mito - From £18755

Just a few other points -

1 your car was mapped so its not standard is it! Shocker that it kept up with a standard car then, would never have expected that. The first thing your NOT going to do when looking to purchase a new car is get it remapped until its out of Warranty, the TCT has been out 11 months.
2. Who cares if its a 10 litre V8 or a 500cc. The mini is CHEAPER, BETTER RESIDUALS, QUICKER AND AIMED AT THE SAME MARKET DEMOGRAPHIC, i as merely stating that if your spending £16k on a brand new car like i did it would be helpful to hear the opinon of someone who has done alot of miles and can either give it the thumbs up or down before you part with your hard earned.

Next you'll be going on about my spelling mistakes!!:rant:

Now you all know why my nickname is Rant! :cheese:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great review Rantos. I tested the Sprint TCT too and had the same immediate impressions you are saying - it is a great car! However I got my 170 cloverleaf for the dark alloys, suspension etc. I loved the TCT on test drive but I would always be looking at the `IF ONLY` Cloverleaf if I had got the TCT!:thumbs:

·
Registered
135 Posts
PS. I agree with your stop/start part too - you should email your review to Alfa/Fiat, or someone should post this thread to them (its not negative, just informative)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
No im not going to pick you up on spelling as mine is probably worse

however what i will say is that you started it by calling the qv pointless?

i never looked at the mini web sit just on auto trader, and they were all 25k new, seems like you have to pay for every extra.

Also the mito actualy beat the mini this year at residuals coming in at 9th.

Either way, why didnt you just buy a mini as you are clearly in love with it?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Chill gents

might have worded it better but rantos has a point - it's cleverly priced the QV, since you are paying quite a lot more for not an enormous amount of gain performance-wise.

back when it was just the cloverleaf i was not considering an upgrade as much as i liked the 135 and 170 - not enough difference between them and my 120 to warrant the cost.

however since the model range has been re-vamped, especially the QV stylistically - it tipped it in its favour.

for me the mechanical improvement over my current car is almost worth it - much better suspension, smarter and better multiair engine, DNA that actually affects the engine power (unlike on 120s and below),

However, that said, I think alfa realise that it's not the fastest or best to drive hot(ter) hatch out there for the money, however it is possibly the best equipped as standard now it's become the QV

parking sensors, stop start, cruise control, blue and me (+usb), diamond cut 18s (improved on the original turbines), alcantara seats, all as standard - not to mention the minor less important but nice stylistic touches such as new badge, stitching and softer leather on gaitors and wheel.

makes the model stand out more for your money in my view. but appreciate that many might not think it worth it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A figure of £3K has been mentioned as the difference between a MA135 and a QV but IMHO I would think that you are getting value for money providing you know that the MiTo is what you want. It's common for first time purchasers to start with a 'lower end' model and then work their way up. One of the big +s as an outsider is that as opposed to esseessing your base model you are 'adding' a level of sophistication to it by going for a QV.
The esseesse kit for a A500 is around £3,250 which includes the Koni FSDs, 'performance' springs, a set of light wheels, ECU 'change' to go from 145 (135bhp rated) to 158bhp, better brake pads, tyre pressure monitoring caps and a reduced service interval from 9K to 6K miles. This 'upgrade' is easier to insure than a re-mapped A500 and it keeps your warranty in check.
The QV has the Brembos (this costs £1,800 for a A500), adaptive suspension (can't get this on a Fiat and the FSDs are having 'recall' issues), sizeable jump from 135bhp to 170bhp (very noticeable), nice 'racey' touches and all 'warranty compliant' and 'insurance friendly' since they're not classified as mods. The emission figures comparing a TCT 135 of 121grs/km is still in our same Irish car tax band of B (121-140grs/km) so that's the same bracket for the QV @ 139grs/km. This is on a 0-60 of 7.5secs so it's a good second quicker. But one of the key 'jumps' that I can see for the QV over the 155TB is a supposedly all new 6 speed gearbox (not too sure if that is true), shorter gear shift, better steering wheel feedback (again not sure of this), a better suspension (have to test it) and a Garret turbo with 'tuning potential'. The Koni Sports in the MA135 would not be rated as good as the Koni FSDs but will probably last longer. Also given the lower boost levels produced from the 135 it will probably last 'the test of time' and may well be the best long term secondhand buy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts