Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title's a little misleading. The wife needs a new car for work (car allowance), we can get a GT cloverleaf for just over £300/month @20k miles/annum over 3 years. I'll be selling my 156 and getting her 320cd and she (we!!!) will get the GT.

I know there's a lot of anti BMW talk on here, but it's been absolutely incredible - 112k in 5 years with no reals faults, it's averaged 48mpg and it drives and handles really well. So my question is this - can the GT do the trick? with specific regard to big mileages, comfort, economy and reliability?

Your opinions please!

EDIT - ChrisD_B. You are specifically banned from posting on my thread !

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Good call - the current leasing deals look very attractive.

I did similar on my Spider - got rid of faultless Merc C270 Estate but certainly haven't lived to regret it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Title's a little misleading. The wife needs a new car for work (car allowance), we can get a GT cloverleaf for just over £300/month @20k miles/annum over 3 years. I'll be selling my 156 and getting her 320cd and she (we!!!) will get the GT.

I know there's a lot of anti BMW talk on here, but it's been absolutely incredible - 112k in 5 years with no reals faults, it's averaged 48mpg and it drives and handles really well. So my question is this - can the GT do the trick? with specific regard to big mileages, comfort, economy and reliability?

Your opinions please!

I put 50k on my GT in 2 1/2 years. I had no real problem that left my stranded once some minor issues with a heavy clutch were fixed. Also had to replace the lower front arm bushes. I recently drove a Brera and must say that as long as the miles you out on the GT are from motorway driving you should be fine. Driving over potholes and speedbump are a bit tiring and it seems that newer Alfa's are much better. However, this is not much different than a 156 (I kept one 156 veloce for 5 years and 110k miles and that was a 1.8TS !!!).

BMW have never been my cup of tea so I can't really compare but be prepared for some squeaking and thing from the interior trims.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Your opinions please!

The BMW might be incredible but its still sh--ite:cheese:

H

·
0 Posts
The GT is a proper mile muncher :thumbs:
I've racked up almost 10k in mine in the last 7 months :)

It's real comfortable on the motorway and it's no slouch on the twisty stuff on the weekends either.

Normal Driving I've yet to see it drop below 45mpg even driven hard it's getting 30+mpg

The cloverleaf is 170bhp as opposed to the std 150 on mine but I've driven a Clover leaf and the are a bit quicker off the mark from the std 150 GT and if the figures I've been quoted post mapping the fuel economy is better on a 190 bhp car from the std 150 :)

My advice is go for it it's the best of both worlds sylish comfy motorway cruiser and a fun car to drive on the twisty stuff :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The GT is a proper mile muncher :thumbs:
I've racked up almost 10k in mine in the last 7 months :)

It's real comfortable on the motorway and it's no slouch on the twisty stuff on the weekends either.

Normal Driving I've yet to see it drop below 45mpg even driven hard it's getting 30+mpg

The cloverleaf is 170bhp as opposed to the std 150 on mine but I've driven a Clover leaf and the are a bit quicker off the mark from the std 150 GT and if the figures I've been quoted post mapping the fuel economy is better on a 190 bhp car from the std 150 :)

My advice is go for it it's the best of both worlds sylish comfy motorway cruiser and a fun car to drive on the twisty stuff :thumbs:
Thanks - very useful. I'm not after another BMW - if I was we'd just get another, I appreciate that there will be differences - both positive and negative. I just need to be sure that the GT is upto the job of racking up big miles whilst still being entertaining, frugal and reliable. You sell it well! We've got a test drive in the pipeline.
One question - what's the deal with the "fixed price servicing" ?

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Can't you read - your banned, barred, not allowed etc :)

Since you have a GT though - what do you think . . . . . .
:lol: :lol:

It is a great car - and although doesn't have the new chassis as the 159, Brera.......etc.

I think you will be amazed at how versatile, nimble and how quick the car is - especially after a remap...

And lets face it the model although now 4yrs + is still visually pleasing and still turns heads....

There are very few flaws on the GT on build - and have only had a few minor things go wrong....one was the light cluster adjustment - the other the clutch pedal problem...which snapped, and the clutch pedal switch for the cruise control, I can honestly say that the GT is the best and most reliable car I have owned - and a breath of fresh air considering the problems I had with my Twinnie....

But the main thing - is that its not a BM so I won't hunt you down and torch it....or persecute you for propping up the former Nazi regime that still owns german motor mfrs ;)

Chris

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would say having owned a GT JTDm for 6 months that it's a fantastic car to drive especially on motorways. I would advise you to buy the Q2 version as it makes a huge difference to performance and handling. If you drive on really rough roads then you'll find that there it's a little stiff, but if you want a sporty car then you'll get that anyway. I've got the boot rattle that is noted in several places on the forum, but the garage are [slowly] sorting it out. Also had a problem with the parking sensor falling out of the bumper...

Having recently got a remap, I found that although power and torque went up, the fuel economy actually seems to have improved, especially on motorway cruising. So not sure how much better the 170bhp is on the Q2 version, but am sure that it will be fine.

I still totally love the car.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Get a BMW.

My cloverleaf is pants, Alfa Romeo are pants and I probably won't buy another one.

:lol:

If you get the cloverleaf make sure you go to a good dealer and give it a thorough look over on pick up. I've probably been unlucky with mine and I'm waiting to pick it up from the dealer after some warranty work. I might get it back and it be fine, but I can't see this happening.

I am the worlds No1 awkward customer :D but when you pay this much money for a car you expect it to be right and you expect decent customer service not some stupid ugly SECRETARY to look at you like a piece of s*** and then recieve a HYUNDAI MATRIX for the courtesey car because THEY fcuked up. :tut:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right, got a days test drive on Saturday in a GT JTD Blackline, the same garage have got the Cloverleaf I want, in the colour I want IN STOCK. I can't wait.

G5een - what probs have you had - or are they minor things made 1000% worse by crap aftersales support?

H

·
0 Posts
Thanks - very useful. I'm not after another BMW - if I was we'd just get another, I appreciate that there will be differences - both positive and negative. I just need to be sure that the GT is upto the job of racking up big miles whilst still being entertaining, frugal and reliable. You sell it well! We've got a test drive in the pipeline.
One question - what's the deal with the "fixed price servicing" ?
Servicing like any top marque will be a bit more expensive than a Ford or a Fiat ect but hey if you want to keep your car in good nick it's one of the prices you have to pay :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I did nearly 25k in my GT JTD in under 1 year....superb on Mway and IMHO is not as bad as I've heard people say on here on ordinary roads, I enjoyed every minute of it:thumbs: Had chance to get a Brera...but thats another story:)

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
I'd imagine that if I was mid 30's I wouldn't have any problems customer service wise, but because I'm young they think they can look down on me, ignore me and eventually I'll go away. Oh dear.

Still doesn't explain the car though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Get a BMW.

My cloverleaf is pants, Alfa Romeo are pants and I probably won't buy another one.

:lol:

If you get the cloverleaf make sure you go to a good dealer and give it a thorough look over on pick up. I've probably been unlucky with mine and I'm waiting to pick it up from the dealer after some warranty work. I might get it back and it be fine, but I can't see this happening.

I am the worlds No1 awkward customer :D but when you pay this much money for a car you expect it to be right and you expect decent customer service not some stupid ugly SECRETARY to look at you like a piece of s*** and then recieve a HYUNDAI MATRIX for the courtesey car because THEY fcuked up. :tut:
At my dealer (HR Owen in Fulham) I was lucky they gave me a Alfa 159 SW... but then they did take forever to get back to me the first time (after my 5th call) , and then called me to let me know that they didn't have the right part for my parking sensor so pushed my appointment back by 10 days!!!

Right, got a days test drive on Saturday in a GT JTD Blackline, the same garage have got the Cloverleaf I want, in the colour I want IN STOCK. I can't wait.

G5een - what probs have you had - or are they minor things made 1000% worse by crap aftersales support?
Enjoy the testdrive....

Pretty much.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/rant-room/136440-e-s-jones-wrexham-alfa-dealer.html

The car should be ready for pick up tomorrow which should be fun :D
I've had some minor problems too, but the driving experience has far surpassed it - to be honest, I think G5een's GT seems a little worse than the usual GT problems, but it does look great :)

I'd imagine that if I was mid 30's I wouldn't have any problems customer service wise, but because I'm young they think they can look down on me, ignore me and eventually I'll go away. Oh dear.

Still doesn't explain the car though.
Age shouldn't matter for customer service - I don't like to see that kind of thing at all. I read the other thread and have had several similar responses at my garage when I called them up "service manager is busy" but they never seem to call back...

anyway, good luck G5een, you will be ok if you stick it out, even if they give you a rubbish car in the mean time.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
The beauty of the (remapped) GT JTD is that it's the perfect all round car :-

Quick, Good looking, economical, sporty,lowish tax, quite rare, plenty of boot space, fully useable rear seats, good cockpit/dash, excellent seats, hasn't dated at all, pretty reliable (for an Alfa)

On the downside the brakes could be better and the ride can be a bit 'crashy' and don't expect BMW bullet proof build quality

If you can accept those minor citicisms then you'll love the GT - still to be bettered on the road looks wise in my eyes....in sensibly priced car terms.

Mike.

ps Use a decent dealer whatever you do - this will make a HUGE difference to the owning experience.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Said it before the GT JTD got me back into Alfas. Really enjoyed mine, more entertaining than the Brera to drive (which is more of a cruiser) and very economic. Very few glitches with it, certainly no worse than the BMW 320D touring it replaced. Go for it......!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts