Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the forum and have never owned an Alfa but always liked the look of them. Currently drive a 07 plate Saab 93 company car which is due for replacement in March and if re-ordering needs to be done in Decemeber.

Can take money instead and I am considering buying a second hand car instead. The 159 looks a great car and I have always liked Alfa Romeo but I have a list of questions.

How does the model range work on the 159? e.g. L > LS > GLS etc.

I have a budget of around £11,000 - £12,000 and want a car that is pretty well spec'ed up i.e. heated leather seats; 17"+ alloys; MP3 connectivity (iPod); climate control are a must.

Parking sensors / Sat Nav / auto lights etc. / sunroof would be nice.

Anybody help with the model range and what age / mileage car I might get for my money (happy with private or dealer purchase) is much appreciated.

Also any other general advice about buying / owning a 159 welcome.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Base model is Turismo, next is Lusso. Ti is "sport" spec (big wheels, lowered suspension). The didn't start making the Ti until late 2007. This car will hold its value best and is unlikely to be in your price range (if you find one that is, be very careful about buying it).

Five engines available 1.8, 2.2 and 3.2V6 JTS (all petrol) and 1.9 & 2.4 JTDm (diesel). A 1.9 petrol was also evailable in the early models - not agreat engine by all accounts.

Chances are in your budget you are talking about a 56 or 07 spec model unless you go for low spec or high mileage. It should still have lots of toys including electric everything, decent stereo and 17" alloys. All cars have dual zone climate control.

Rear parking sensors and leather are standard on Lusso models. If you can find a car with Blue&Me, take it. This is the media management system and connects to your phone and MP3 player.

Satnav is an added extra and is quite rare. From what I hear the Alfa system ain't great anyway. That and the fact you can't have it and Blue&Me means it's best avoided.

Early cars had some quality issues, most of which have been resolved. Common problems included:

rattle from windscreen (remove and replace windscreen to fix)
rattle from rear view mirror
problems with 2.4 diesel engine (EGR valves, inlet manifold and particulate filter)
Problems with 2.2JTS - poor power delivery at low revs

Ongoing issues with some (not all) cars include heavy front tyre wear and poor fuel consumption. From an economic persepctive (if that's an important factor) the 1.8JTS and 1.9JTDm are probably the most frugal by far. Neither are likely to be heavy on tyre wear and the 1.9 has the best fuel consumption.

For pure performance the 2.4JTDm and 3.2V6 are hard to beat.

Try to avoid base models with plastic and fabric trim - they just don't look half as good as Lusso trimmed cars.

Overall the car is a joy to own, although maybe a little on the expensive side. It's comfortable, classy and rare.

Get a well specced car with a full history and warranty and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - a great response and just what I was looking for.

In terms of cost - I know depreciation is considered to be high, but any idea how much I would lose on a £11,000 56 model over 3 years and 15,000 per year?

To break even vs a Vauxhall zzzzzz as a company car (switch of company car make was the reason I have started to look) I need it to be worth £3000.

A reasonable proposition?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple of other questions.

Some cars on a car trading website quote "Tri-zone" climate control? Others Dual as stated in the 1st reply above. Is "Tri" just wrong or is a 'rear zone' an optional extra?

Do any models come with a sunroof as std or is it an optional extra?

Leather seats are standard on Lusso models - but are they heated? Something the GF has in her Smart Roadster that I'll admit is very nice on a cold morning.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Tri zone includes seperate temp controls for the rear of the car. Only available as an added option.

Sunroof is an optional extra (I don't actually remember seeing it on the options list when I got my car).

Heating is not standard but came with the Winter Pack option, so available on some cars. Winter pack also include headlight washers and a partially heated windscreen (heated section was wiper park area, not for demisting).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts