Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfa Owners, long term lurker, first time poster and, as per the title, hoping to become an Alfa owner too.

Just by way of background, I’m a latecomer to motoring having only learned to drive recently at the age of 40...something. For the past 18 months I’ve been pottering around in a very old Micra. Although I don’t use the car much during the week – I’m fortunate to live in one of the few areas of Dublin with decent public transport – I now find myself having to drive longer distances once a fortnight or so, e.g. twice to Waterford and once to Belfast in the last month. Clearly I need a bigger car capable of taking a family of four long distances comfortably. Logically, some sort of MPV makes sense but, frankly, if I'm going to have a car I want a proper one that drives well and looks good. So, I’ve managed to persuade my wife that a used 156 is a sensible choice for a family car. I’m hoping you can help me in my search with some advice/pointers.

Basically, I’ve about €2K to spend and I’m considering a 156, 1.6 (for tax and insurance reasons), pre-2003 facelift, good condition, NCT’d, full service history, reasonable mileage, and leather interior. Preferably in the greater Dublin region, but willing to travel. I appreciate the importance of FSH but how important is mileage? I like the older styling but am I better paying more for a newer car? Should I do the sensible thing and buy a people carrier? And I’m flexible on all of the above for the right car.

Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Well Dundrummer . welcome along here . 156 is one of the best cars for smile per mile. Your head probably says people carrier but once you drive an Alfa you wont go back. Service history is important and To be honest it also depends on who has done the service . Alfa's are great cars but like all cars require a bit of maintanance , make sure Timimg belt and water pump were done and check the oil in any car you buy . Most TS's (twin spark) require oil to be topped off every month or so but sometimes owners dont . Mileage is not that important but service is . my son had a 156 with over 100k miles and it still ran sweet as it was serviced whether it needed it or not , so good luck and if you come across a 156 post it up here and there's bound to be one of us that knows the alfa . If you can find one that is owned by one of us (AO members ) then you wont go too far wrong:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
With your budget, I reckon you'll find a very decent 156 and probably with the facelift interior (much nicer place). To be honest, you will find most 156's in a right state, due to people buying them and not giving the attention they deserve, but take your time and you'll find a great one.

·
Administrator
87,326 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a mill guys. I'm willing to wait a while. In the meantime, if anybody knows of a suitable car for sale I'd love to hear from you.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Welcome dundrummer, you've come to the right spot, although maybe not if you want us to tell you to get an MPV!!
Dermo and Mysterio hit the nail on the head, service history is probably the most important aspect, if you spot one that has had at timing belt change recently you'll be saving yourself €700 approx. Leather interior may be harder but of you spot another car you like without leather it can always be bought at a later stage and transplanted. This approach might help in your search.

Also, and not to put a spanner in the works, with 4 in the car would a sportwagon be an option?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts