Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a 20 year old student (nearly 21) who has been driving a '00 1.0 litre Yaris VVTi for the past 2.5 years and am considering upgrading to a 1.6 litre 156 in ideally Sportivo trim. My uncle had an early model 2.0 litre TS years back and I have always been quite taken by the model. Seeing as my Yaris is low mileage (57k miles) and presently has a long NCT, I'm thinking about capitalising on its desirability on the used market and upgrading to something more my taste. I reckon I will get the guts of two grand for it and just over half of the proceeds should bag me a very nice 156 with all the belts done.

One of the main concerns I have is fuel economy. I cover around 100 miles per week in the Yaris and it costs me around 20-25 quid. I have heard to expect no more than 35 mpg from the 1.6 litre engine in the 156 and I feel this may be too high for a person of my financial means. This is in addition to our unfair road tax system which will add a further 300 euro in additional costs annually over what I am currently driving.

I have been constantly going on and off the idea of going in the above direction and have thought something like a Punto Sporting or an MG ZR 105 would be a more realistic ownership proposition many times. I am a passionate enthusiast and have been itching for ages to get something a bit more distinctive than my trusty Yaris (which has been a great car to be fair and is a lovely steer). What do people reckon?

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Get the 156, although you are a bit optimistic on the mpg side. In Dublin traffic I'm getting between 25-30 mpg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get the 156, although you are a bit optimistic on the mpg side. In Dublin traffic I'm getting between 25-30 mpg.
Jaysus, that bad?

On the other hand, a 145 like this may fit the bill: Alfa Romeo 145 T-Spark for sale in Dublin : €799 - DoneDeal.ie

Before someone mentions a 147, I actually prefer 156's. I like sports saloons and seeing as the 147 is not available in anything smaller than the 1.6, it makes it redundant for me.

The 145 still looks distinctive and the 1.4 litre road tax helps. A poor advert though with little description and no mention of NCT. I might try a low ball offer of 500 quid for it.

P

·
0 Posts
Jaysus, that bad?

On the other hand, a 145 like this may fit the bill: Alfa Romeo 145 T-Spark for sale in Dublin : €799 - DoneDeal.ie

Before someone mentions a 147, I actually prefer 156's. I like sports saloons and seeing as the 147 is not available in anything smaller than the 1.6, it makes it redundant for me.

The 145 still looks distinctive and the 1.4 litre road tax helps. A poor advert though with little description and no mention of NCT. I might try a low ball offer of 500 quid for it.
That 145 looks nice, low mileage for the year too. budget for a timing belt and waterpump change (around 400 fitted) and use it as a strong bargaining point:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Before looking at a 145, don't assume that the mpg will be much better than the 156. I know that wujozbuzo on here bought one exactly like the one you've linked to and isn't getting the fuel economy he hoped for.

If mpg is a real concern, stick with what you have. Absolutely no fun buying a car and then not having the money to run it. Trust me, I know...

·
Administrator
87,304 Posts
Hi,

I am a 20 year old student (nearly 21) who has been driving a '00 1.0 litre Yaris VVTi for the past 2.5 years and am considering upgrading to a 1.6 litre 156 in ideally Sportivo trim.

What do people reckon?

As has been said above if you can't afford to run the car you'd be better off hanging on to what you have for a while maybe & saving a few more €€€.

Also at your age you might find a big jump in what it'd cost to insure an Alfa, make sure you get a quotation before you make a decision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If mpg is a real concern, stick with what you have. Absolutely no fun buying a car and then not having the money to run it. Trust me, I know...
As has been said above if you can't afford to run the car you'd be better off hanging on to what you have for a while maybe & saving a few more €€€.

Also at your age you might find a big jump in what it'd cost to insure an Alfa, make sure you get a quotation before you make a decision.
Seems like sound advice, thanks. I think my questions may have been answered and I might hold off for a small while yet.

The 145 however may be worth a look if I can get it for mega cheap. For the first three months of college next year I doubt I will be doing much commuting by car, so it may be worth considering.

If I could find one within my budget, a Suzuki Cappuccino (totally different car, I know) would be perfect. I had my eye on one that was advertised at 1700 but missed it due to the fact I haven't sold my own car yet.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Go and drive a 145 and a 156. See if it's worth waiting to get the 156 in a while. You having nothing to lose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go and drive a 145 and a 156. See if it's worth waiting to get the 156 in a while. You having nothing to lose.
Indeed. I Might ring about it tomorrow.

I fancy a bit of adventure in my life. There seem to be few if any interesting cars though that can do 50 mpg, have 1.0 litre road tax and ease of maintenance through a timing chain etc. I wish the Yaris didn't suit my lifestyle so well, as it would make decisions easier.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I dunno about the test drive, 3 years ago I went for a test drive in an Alfa while car shopping with my sister. Bought the car straight away and will never look back from Alfa now. Dangerous waters there ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have been thinking about the 145 the past few days and having remembered being a front passenger in a 146 before, I think the 145 may be too small for me at 6 ft 3 inches. That rules Alfa's out for the moment I'm afraid, but not for good!

What I now think I'm going to look in the direction of is a Ford Puma. I might be taking a test drive in a 1.4 litre example tomorrow with 130k miles and no NCT. I'll see how I get on.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Haha if an Alfa is to small for you, I seriously wouldn't get a Puma. They are tiny, with no headroom. I'm only 6ft and my head touches the roof. Also backseat passengers are a no-no. (ha coming from a guy with a Brera).
I would say get something like a diesel Bora. Massive fuel economy, reliable, very quick and you can get the high spec ones fairly cheap. Higher tax though...

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Fiat 500? or buy a classic Alfa, so the money you save on insurance and tax you can spend on the car. And you will look cool.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Haha if an Alfa is to small for you, I seriously wouldn't get a Puma. They are tiny, with no headroom. I'm only 6ft and my head touches the roof.
I thought as much to be honest; they are a sports coupe based on a Fiesta after all.

I suppose really the 145 just isn't special enough for me in 1.4 litre form. The interior also looks dated and cheap these days.

I would say get something like a diesel Bora. Massive fuel economy, reliable, very quick and you can get the high spec ones fairly cheap. Higher tax though...
I'd rather shoot myself.

Fiat 500? or buy a classic Alfa, so the money you save on insurance and tax you can spend on the car. And you will look cool.
Funnily enough, a friend has a classic GT Junior. Wouldn't be a bad option if it didn't cost a few grand to find a good one.

This mightn't be a bad idea actually: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3342658

Would it be capable as a daily driver covering 7-8k miles annually I wonder?

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I'm 22 and in college and own a 156. Had it for almost 3 years now. If you do get a good sorted one the only thing you need to worry about is petrol and tax.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts