1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys

I've posted this in the 147 forum, but was advised to also ask here
:O)

I currently have a Clio 182, mildly tuned.

I'm looking to change it soon to something else. The 147 GTA is one of my options... Is it going to meet my criteria?

- Quicker than the clio
- Looks good (I know this is true already)
- Big enough to fit in my mates (clio isn't)
- Reliable enough (I am currently running a French car after all!)

Other potentials ... Focus RS, Golf R32, BMW M3 (previous gen)

Should I go with the Alfa, and why ? My mechanic friend has told me to steer clear ....

Cheers !!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a 156 GTA so speaking more on the GTA side than 147 ...

I migrated from a Leon Cupra, GTA is significantly faster especially in the 50-100 zone which makes overtaking a blast.

The engine noise is superb and gives you goose bumps. Did you ever come up behind a Ferrari or similar at the lights and kill your stereo, rolldown the window and soak up the noise. Well the GTA makes its own soundtrack for you to enjoy so using the stereo is a bit of a turn off!

I know that Alfas of old have a bad reputation but modern day Alfas are as reliable as any other car. Sure you can be unlucky but so can a beemer driver.

Did your mechanic freind give any specifics?

I have gone full throttle against a Porsche 993 and a current model M3 in recent weeks. The Porsche pulled in to let me by, the M3 was behind me and I suspect not in the correct gear when I hit it cos he lost some ground before catching me up on the motorway, respectible performance though.:)

Another huge difference is the interior, the Alfa feels special - italian leather those deep instrument binnacles, etc.

In short the GTA feels like a supercar and not just a hot hatch.

Take your mates down to see one, have a run and pile them all in and then see what the ruling opinion says....

Gary

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've had a 147 GTA for about 6 months now and its fantastic! As Gary says its chuffing quick.

I was originally looking at buying a GTV 3.0, I test drove the 147 GTA straight afterwards because there was one at the dealer- in terms of interior & build its a million miles away from older Alfas like the GTV IMO. My 1st impression was that is felt very solid and well screwed together - I know I wanted to buy it after 100 metres of the test drive!!

Inside there's plenty of room - I often have 2 child booster seats in the back of mine -although the boot's on the small side.

They're as reliable as any other car on the road, ask anyone on this site & they'll agree that if you know nothing about Alfas you beleive the bad press that they fall apart as son as you look at them - a bit like saying all beemer drivers are d*cks...not true.... :) Just make sure you buy from a good independent dealer if you're not an expert. I bought mine from Black and White nr Newbury who were excellent and really into Alfas.

Agree it feels much more special than a normal hot hatch.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Drive one first then there will be no need to ask questions because you will be as hooked as i was (actually i knew i was going home in it the moment i saw it)!!...;)

On the reliability side i've had mine over a year now and had no problems at all.

RS: Too brash and boy racer image!
R32: Not that quick (in a strainght line) and no charisma!
M3: If your thinking about the pre '01 too dated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks guys.

I've seen the videos on the 'net and have an idea about the sound, especially with an autodelta sports system on the back (prefer the quad pipe look as its more balanced)

I guess now its a case of hunting down the right one. I understand why so many are red, but I'd like Black or Blue, with black / blue leather. Bose stereo worth it too ??

·
Registered
523 Posts
Think they all come with the Bose system.

I've got the Autodelta twin exhaust with straight thru centre pipe, sound great - deeper burble a bit boomy below about 1750rpm butyou get used to it. Looks good too. The standard back box is horrible - big and invariably rusty. Got it changed before I collected the car from B&W.

The quad set up is about pose value only, don't think its worth the extra cash IMO. Search it for some views....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Drive one ---------- Buy one. You cant really go wrong, they are fantastic cars. Just be careful going through standing water (over 8 inches) as you will blow the engine apart!! (from personal experience)

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Just drive a 147GTA and you will be hooked.

It's a very special car, and the feel-good factor of the leather interior: the acceleration and V6 noise as you rocket up and down through the gears, plus supercar handling and hatchback practicality all add up to a very satisfying ownership experience ;) :D

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Drive one ---------- Buy one. You cant really go wrong, they are fantastic cars. Just be careful going through standing water (over 8 inches) as you will blow the engine apart!! (from personal experience)

Sorry oldboy, you must still be suffering horrendously from the loss of your GTA, and you have my deepest sympathy

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I really think you need to drive one before making your choice - they're very different to the Clio and it may not be to your tastes.

I'm collecting mine tomorrow (hurrah!) and currently have an Integra, in some ways its quite similar to the Clio in that its very driver focus'd.

I'd describe the GTA as far more of a cruiser, an all rounder with creature comforts. The Clio/ITR are far more feisty, more pointy and more willing to be thrown down a country lane by the scuff of its neck, dancing on its tyres.

The GTA just smashes down the road, using brute force in a gargle of torque and power. Just as effective (and probably just as quick on B-road) but very different in its approach.

On an empty B-road with no traffic and no particular place to go? I'd probably take a 182/ITR. For every other situation, I'd take the GTA. Its the thinking mans choice.

NB - I also looked at the FRS, but I'm not a Ford fan, and IMO it tries too hard in the 'look at me!!!' stakes. The R32, while being a VAG fan myself, is too 'meh'. As for the M3, its a BMW, and everyone will hate you ;)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Should I go with the Alfa, and why ? My mechanic friend has told me to steer clear ....

The only way youll know is to test drive all the cars. I wa in exactly the same position as you (apart from not even considering the focus cause its even more chavvy than a clio ;)) and I drove the golf and gta back to back. The GTA won it for me but it may not for you, so get out from behind the PC and go drive them :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not many people know what a GTA is & this can be great fun with WRX etc that think they can kick you butt only to find out they can't.:D
"How is that Alfa keeping up with me?:lol:
You can read GTA mag reviews here.
http://alfaromeogta.createforum.net/viewforum.php?f=42&mforum=alfaromeogta

But this is one vid you should watch till the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRqRYNsr67Q

Which one posted the fastest lap;)
Stu:)
Cool, thanks for all that - the vid is very interesting !!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only way youll know is to test drive all the cars. I wa in exactly the same position as you (apart from not even considering the focus cause its even more chavvy than a clio ;)) and I drove the golf and gta back to back. The GTA won it for me but it may not for you, so get out from behind the PC and go drive them :)
I know, I'm trying to find one which isn't over 50 miles away !! :)
As soon as I do I will go have a go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really think you need to drive one before making your choice - they're very different to the Clio and it may not be to your tastes.

I'm collecting mine tomorrow (hurrah!) and currently have an Integra, in some ways its quite similar to the Clio in that its very driver focus'd.

I'd describe the GTA as far more of a cruiser, an all rounder with creature comforts. The Clio/ITR are far more feisty, more pointy and more willing to be thrown down a country lane by the scuff of its neck, dancing on its tyres.

The GTA just smashes down the road, using brute force in a gargle of torque and power. Just as effective (and probably just as quick on B-road) but very different in its approach.

On an empty B-road with no traffic and no particular place to go? I'd probably take a 182/ITR. For every other situation, I'd take the GTA. Its the thinking mans choice.

NB - I also looked at the FRS, but I'm not a Ford fan, and IMO it tries too hard in the 'look at me!!!' stakes. The R32, while being a VAG fan myself, is too 'meh'. As for the M3, its a BMW, and everyone will hate you ;)
I do love the 'chuck-ability' of the 182. Its got about 195bhp too following some engine work, so it is fun. However, it is also very very small and the back seats are useless!! I also feel like I want something more classy, to be honest. I want something that is still fun to drive - I do enjoy a B-road blast but only occasionally take it to the limit... ITR was tempting too, but only 4 seats, which makes it as impractical as the clio is....

·
Registered
119 Posts
@downhuman,

i can also only join all the comments you can read here. for me there is no other car in this price catagory to get so much fun and power.
The best part of GTA is the engine:inlove:
If you buy a GTA produced before 10/2003 you should look at the brakes, the discs have usually very poor quality. Try to get an upgrade from the dealer for Tarox or original Brembo discs,
and enjoy...:D

selcuk

·
Registered
30 Posts
To give you an impression... I recently came by a Porsche carrera and I smashed him. Okay it was just a "normal" carrera but the feeling to make a porsche driver feel like **** is the best ;) On the other hand, I did get a thumbs up when I went past him

1 - 20 of 24 Posts