Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Connecting USB/mp3 to a 159 with satnav

38K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  jonasolse 
#1 ·
Hi everone,

I just got a 2006 Alfa 159 with the satnav radio, and I desperately need to be able to connect my USB stick with mp3s, or my iPod (with a jack, not the iPod connector), and preferably also have a Bluetooth connection for my phone (just for phone support, not for playing music).
Does anyone know some solution which actually works? i.e. works with the steering wheel controls, shows mp3 titles (or at least file names) on one of the LCDs..

I've heard of Dension, and I've also found this: Alfa Romeo USB/SD MP3 Interface Model V :: ALFA ROMEO :: XCarLink
but neither of them says it works with the satnav 159 radio. FYI that's my radio here: http://www.superalfa.pl/foto/fotki/big/1284014958286.JPG

I'd appreciate any advice in the matter :) thanks!

#8 ·
#12 ·
I was wandering through different Alfa-Forums and finally came across your post. I've also been searching for an alternative for installing a CD-Changer in my ConnectNav+ system (without Blue&ME). Loudlink was my main option - seems robust and working but is indeed pricey. Therefore i searched more and after your discovery decided to go for the same device - http://cgi.ebay.pl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...54&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:PL:1123#ht_2702wt_650
Hope it works, will post after recieving it :)

#22 · (Edited)
For me it is. Since I had no regular CD-changer at last I can stop juggling Navi- and AudioCDs, moreover AUX-in is definiately a missing option for ConnectNav+.
This is a budget option (3x cheaper compared to Loudlink) so I realize that firmware / mp3 support may be buggy. I need to use it for a longer period to judge it right.

UPDATE: Yesterday I made 400km trip using Yatour along with built-in Navi. MP3 changer was driven by an SDHC card - everything run flawlessly, no problems encountered. :thumbs: I think my previous issues may have been caused by using pendrive via USB - maybe this connection type is a bit buggy.
ConnectNav+ is capable of handling 10 "virtual cd's" but every one can contain up to 99 tracks - that is the only limitation. Despite I prepared more catalogues these were not available for playing.

#30 ·
I have also installed the yatour USB/SD device succesfully. However, I could not find anywhere suitable to attach the ground wires. How did you connect these? I am attaching to the standard connect navi headunit.

thanks
Regarding grounding wires - as I wrote before when unconnected may cause glitch-like noise in background. Unfortunately installation manual doesn't mention these cables my only idea was hooking them up together - since then system runs flawlessly :)

#32 ·
Without any other options, I have followed the advice of connecting the two ground plugs together. This has improved the quality of the sound.

My only theory is that in our head units the connector is grounded, and the wires are provided for head units which are not earthed through the connector.

Thanks jar.w for the tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.