Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm about to remove the brake and clutch reseviours on my RHD 1750GTV to paint the areas around them which have been ravaged over the years by spilt fluid. Currently the reseviours appear to be joined to the hard lines by manky old bits of hose and I'm wondering if anyone can let me know if flexible lines should be used for this and, if so, what type of hose I should use for DOT 4 brake fluid?

I assumed it was a lashed up arrangement, but looking on Classic Alfa, their photo of a new reseviour appears to show what I assume are "push" fittings on the bottom. Also their hard master cylinder to reseviour line only has one screw fitting (for the master cylinder) and the other end is a much smaller fitting.

What has confused me though is they don't sell the bits of flexible hose specifically for joining the reseviour to the hard line, and all the motor factors I tried today don't sell flexible brake hose by the meter either...

I don't think fuel line can be used for this, so if someone who has done this job can advise what they did it'll be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
EPDM hose is brake fluid compatible.
Brake fluid can sweat through a lot of other rubber hoses, like fuel hose etc, so you need to be careful, although there is no pressure involved in the use you are referring to.
not sure what ID/OD you need, but just a quick search for EPDM brought up 7mm ID, if it helps??
7mm I.D EPDM Refill Brake Fluid Hose DN06

Dom

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dom, I'd just found out about EPDM hose and it seems relatively difficult to get hold of. It seems some radiator hose is EPDM, however, I bet the IDs are all too small...

I saw some on Car Builder Solutions, so might order some so I have it next weekend, I've got plenty to do before refitting the reseviours!

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the old stuff off today when I removed the reseviours, to be fair I think the brake reseviour was using the right stuff and it was just old. The clutch reseviour however was most certainly not using the right stuff! It was standard old fashioned clear petrol pipe with the crossing strands in, and had gone opaque and totally stiff and I initially though it had been araldited on as it had moulded itself so tightly to the pipe!

I'll order some 7mm ID stuff in a second with the hope I'll have the area around the reseviours painted by Thursday and the I can reassemble and bleed the system on Friday...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts