Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can it be done and, if so, what's the best way?

It has a headphone socket.

The back of it looks like this;

S

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SCGT, I like the idea of that. I'd want a black one tho and have found one on t'bay.

V

·
0 Posts
A 3.5mm stereo jack --> stereo phono lead is the most basic way.

But as has been suggested, a 'dock' will charge your iPod at the same time.

What would sound the best though, is a dock which has a digital --> analogue converter built in, rather than using the cheap headphone output from the ipod. Even though the dock uses the bottom multisocket of the iPod, it will still use the cheap and cheerful analogue circuitry of the iPod if it is a cheap dock. A better dock will take the digital output of the iPod and convert it to analogue itself, in a more accurate way, for better sound.

But you'll only really get the benefit of a good dock if you've used a higher sampling rate such as 256kB/s.

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely want to charge my iPod while I'm using it.

All the music on my iPod has been purchased from iTunes.

V

·
0 Posts
I definitely want to charge my iPod while I'm using it.

All the music on my iPod has been purchased from iTunes.
In that case your music files will probably be at 92kB/s and a cheaper dock which just charges your iPod will be fine.

·
Registered
22,759 Posts
Didn't know that was the bitrate from iTunes.

I usually rip from CD at 128, but sometimes 320 for the good stuff. (Don't know if it makes any difference though, bit like very expensive cables).

Better still I put the record on, but that's not feasible in the car or out and about.

V

·
0 Posts
Oh yes, it makes a difference alright. Double the sample rate should sound a lot better with a good set of ears and a good set of equipment.

I may have got the default iTunes sampling rate wrong with 92kB/s, I think it probably is 128. But yes, 256'd be a lot better.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
iTunes standard is now 256kb/s, has been for some time (since Jan 2009-before that it was 128) and m4a which is better than Mp3- still not cd quality but a whole lot better than a 128 mp3! :)

V

·
0 Posts
iTunes standard is now 256kb/s, has been for some time (since Jan 2009-before that it was 128) and m4a which is better than Mp3- still not cd quality but a whole lot better than a 128 mp3! :)

Ooh, didn't know that!

Better still'd be Apple 'lossless' (as if there is such a thing) by all accounts. But not as widely used a file type of course.

V

·
0 Posts
Bloody hell, I even know what song they were going to do next, it was Gob On You, a skit on punk.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts