Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - bear with me, I'll try and explain the wierd electronic gremlins of my car..

Have had an issue with my right hand side main beam (halogen) for a few weeks, it got water in (after last service, they replaced a sidelight bulb, but didn't screw it all back up properly and only just noticed) and was misted up (not full of water)... I assumed this was why it stopped working..keep meaning to drop bumper off and swap bulb over to start working out the problem.. however, my electrics are also somewhat dodgy.. quite often when I first start it, every single failure comes up (right side light, left side light) for 1 second with the scary buzzing noise, and then it seems to fix itself almost right away (doesn't happen all the time). I thought it was because of an old battery.. so got a new one.. but it still does it.

So.. from time to time my right brake light would stop working for 5 minutes, then start working again. It stopped working during it's MOT of course (2 weeks ago?), so the guy put in a new bulb (apparently). It failed immediately as soon as I got in it.. so either he failed changing the bulb, and to save face just told me he had changed it and passed the car (no joke, it was his first day on the job)... or he did do the bulb, and something else is amiss? Then it went back to it's usual working, not working behaviour for a few days (exactly the same as before the MOT bulb change).. and now for the last 10 days or so, my right brake light has totally died. Now, I don't think it's the bulb.. as he has apparently just replaced it... although, he did say he was struggling, so he may have just told me he had changed it, and passed the MOT. I just wondered if there was a fuse or anything that controls the right lights, as I now have a broken front right halogen, and a broken right brake light. All the other lights work, full beam, parking lights. Would the full beam work if the halogen was completely water logged and fooked, or do the halogens ONLY run the main beam? Just wondering if I need to just get a new bulb, or if it might be more serious. Read lots of threads on here, so prepared for the worse really. Anyway, vague as always, but you guys usually have some good input :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
hi bud i defo change the bulbs first halogons dont like being toched by fingers let alone condensation and ive also had break light bulbs play up like yours wen they blow the wire in side the bulb can still make contact and give an intermittent fault im no expert but got to try the cheapest options first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts