Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

New to the site and just ordered a 147 1.6. Thinking of getting NAV plus for the car but wondered if any one had much to say about it and whether worth the £1,100 required.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Charlie
Welcome to the site. You will find all sorts on here, there is serious debate, there is humour, there is sensible discussion, and thats only me!!!
Seriously though, you will find no better place to get the info you need for your 147, and there is a good shop here as well, for anything you need when you get your motor on the road.
In reply to your question, I am not really qualified to comment on the value of the SatNav as I do not have it on my car, but in your position (which I was a few months ago), and if you do have the cash, I would think about changing your order to the 2.0 model. Most of the owners on here are looking for more power and IMO the general feeling is that the 147 is a little short in the legs department. I have the 2.0 myself and although it has a good turn of speed it is not exactly a flying machine and I think if you stick with the smaller engine you may wish you had spent the money on more power, which you will benefit from all the time, instead of a gadget you will prbably use only occasionally.
That is only my opinion and it would be nice to hear from some of the 1.6 owners (with or without Satnav) on this forum, to give you the benfit of their ownership experiences
Ken

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
Nice intro, and welcome charlie, I second what has already been posted, try for the 2.0 if you can, not to say that you cannot enjoy a 1.6, Happy deciding any how.

Where are you getting your car from is this the one coming through Alfaowner?

See you around

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey,
I'd say get it. it's very useful, especially when you're touring or visiting new cities and need to find a place, i've had it for nearly 6 months now and i've used it countless times. it saves having to stop roadside and ask for directions or read a map whilst driving! is pin point accurate too... and i havent even used the connect features yet! not to mention it makes the dash look WAY better, beats having a credit card holder instead...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the madhouse Charlie.

I hope you will join in our ever so lively debates and discussions.

To start with, maybe you can tell us some of the specs of your order (eg: Colour, trim, alloys, etc...)

Sat Nav is not an option in Australian 147 (and neither is the 1.6 as we only get the 2.0 imported here).

Can I suggest that you send a private message to a fine fellow on this forum by the name of "G-147". His name is George and he is mad about his Alfa 147 1.6 (www.gsorial.com).

He has heaps of plans for upgrade and so on, but I think he will be able to answer your question in an honest fashion.

Best of Luck

Stef

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to agree with KGB147, get a 2.0 instead. I have used satnav before and always found them to be an annoying gadget rather than a useful accessory. Obviously I may be wrong about the one in the Alfa but will you honeslty utilise it enough to make the extra cost worthwhile? How many times a year do you drive somewhere where you do not know the way and need detailed instructions? At least with a 2.0 you will certainly make use of the extra power (especially when you hear her roar at 7000rpm)!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haven't driven the 1.6 so can't really comment. However the Connect nav has proved itself very useful, you could of course get youself a (much cheaper) windscreen mounted sat nav but they look a bit naff. Don't forget you also get the phone included with Connect+ - Hands free, voice activated, very useful if you like to gab on the move.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have Connect+ in my 147. It's been a very faithful servant over the last 5 years. It's much better than many other in-car systems (like my fathers Jag X-type). The mapping from Navtec is very good and I like having the instructions in between my hands in the Speedo etc. Having the system built in to the car is a boon because you don't have to worry about security.

The car phone is annoying, in that you need a second SIM (if you're allowed), so I never use it. My unit was replaced under warrantee and now in my second unit, the car phone is playing up, messages all the time about the lack of a SIM card and when I put one in, it doesn't recognise it until I resart the phone section. This doesn't affect the operation of the Satnav though.

I have just ordered a new car, but this time I am getting an aftermarket system, as the cost differential is so huge.

If you have the money and don't mind spending it, get it. If you can think of better things to spend your money on don't! Either way, GET THE 2.0!!! Whenever I drive past a 1.6 147 I feel sorry for the driver... The 2.0 purrs! (I am sure the driver of the 3.2 GTA feels sorry for me! That's the food chain!)

Hope this helps

J

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the Selespeed with the NAV+ unit. Over the two i would say get the 2.0 rather than NAV+. The 2.0 does shift, but its nowhere near as fast as my old 145QV.

Also depends on how you use the car. I go to work and back everyday and don't do long trips, so satnav is not essential for me. If you travel a lot then maybe it is.

R-D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Charlie,

I have Connect + in my 147 2.0 and while it is not as user friendly as the Becker system I had in my old car, I am glad I have it. It looks far better being integrated into the car and the extra cost over a portable unit means I don't have to worry about taking it out or having a window smashed. The integrated phone works very well and there are ways to get a duplicate SIM card from some providers if you find swapping it out of your phone annoying.

2.0 vs 1.6? Can't really comment. Love my 2.0 but would prefer fuel economy of the 1.6. Really depends on your driving style but drive both before deciding! Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I've found the Connect Nav + very useful, but I got the car second-hand, not sure I would have paid the extra for it if I'd been buying new.........

In my experience, there's actually very little between the 1.6 and the 2.0, when I took a test drive in both I couldn't feel much difference, and when I was chasing (GhostyDog's) 1.6 around Croft last summer they were very, very closely matched (much to my disgust ;) ). I chose the 2.0, just because it was the better-specced car, but if the interior I wanted had been in the 1.6 I would've had that, no probs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts