Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am waiting for my 147 to be delivered (expected 1st week September)and would appreciate help on SIM card options for the built in GSM phone in the car.

I would prefer to have the same number in the car as my usual mobile phone and understand that only Vodafone offer 2 SIM cards with the same number. They charge £7 per month for the additional card.

All one has to do is insert a code into the phone you want to recieve calls on and bingo when you are in the car calls come through to the car phone and when you are out of the car they go to your mobile handset.

What other options are there? I know I could buy a SIM with a new number - but thats not what I want. I could also have my SIM card copied (illegally) but this has a number of problems.

Lastly I could of course take the SIM from my handset place it into the SIM carrier card and then slot into the dash - every time I get in and out of the car! I dont think so.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated so I can consider this in full before the car arrives.

By the way everything that the local Alfa dealer told me on this subject has turned out to be incorrect, especialy regarding cost.

Many thanks

Francis

·
Registered
744 Posts
To be honest I think the Vodafone option is the best one from what I've heard.

I will investiagte it further myself.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would go for the Vodaphone option. I use it in the Netherlands and it's great but overhere it's for free. No extra cost for the second card.

Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dual SIM card option is the best. Hwere in Portugal the only charge a one time fee for the card and thats it. The only problem with the dual SIM is when you turn the car off and the GSM system goes off your other phone takes a while to log on the network. If you do a call it logs on straight away, but you have to remeber to do that. If you dont then the phone can take up to 10 mins to log on again. What my grilfriend does is to do a call to her voice-mail, you dont even have to actualy let the call complete, and thats enough.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've bought a sim card reader/writer name SimMagic III at Hong Kong. The package included a blank sim card which allow to write in 8 numbers, so you can use it to read the information from your original one and then copy to the blank card.
Here is the address: http://www.mobegsm.com/
I'm not sure if you can but it on the internet directly, just send a email to ask if they have agent in your country!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cardinal, 147 RED, Bodhi....

Do u also have to turn off your mobile phone before the phone in your car will ring? Or is the one in your car always ringing when active?

thanks....

Björn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As soon as you turn the car on the car SIM logs on the network and you recieve all calls in the car and th other phone although still shows that it has reception (network coverage) does not recieve anything.
The only negative thing about htis system is when you get out of the car the SIM on the car is disconnected and as the normal phone is still on it does not start to recieve callls straight away. It can take time to become the device recieving calls. Best thing todo it when you get out of the car call you voice mail for a split second and then the phone starts to recieve call again. Or you just turn the phone off-and-on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bodhi...

I tried this with two mobile phones... but when turning the second one on, it does not receive the incoming calls.... I don't know if it makes any difference if it's on the car, but I don't think so...

And how long does it take the first phone to get back online after turning the car off? I can imagine u forget this....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am on the Vodafone network in the UK. I have 2 SIMs. I can use both fones at the same time even though they have the same number. I can even ring the one fone from the other. I do however have to nominate which SIM is nominated to receive calls. This is done by inserting a code which I believe is the same for everybody on the vodafone network. I have actually automated this with voice dialling on each fone. When I get in the car i say 'Activate' and it the car Fone display shows' SIM 2 Nominated' when I leave the car I do the same into my handheld phone and it does the same. Therefore only 1 phone can receive calls at the same time.

Alfabee2002

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What code is it so that it is nominated?

and what happens when u get out of the car? Do u have to nominate your mobile phone?

Björn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If its Vodafone its *131#. And the last phone you entered it into is the active phone to recieve calls. So get in the car key *131# into the car phone - get out of the car and key *131# into your mobile phone.

Alfabee2002

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bjorn

As you tried that code I assume you have Vodafone.

Were the SIMs both supplied by Vodafone as a package? If they were then Vodafone will give you the code. If you have copied a SIM then it wont work neither will it with 2 different numbers.

Alfabee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes,

I got a duopack from Vodaphone....

I even called their helpdesk, but they didn't know anything about some sort of code to "master" one above the other...

seems like it's coutry-specific....

Björn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts