Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad, who is 81 and lives in Dover, drove down to see his sister last month who lives in Devon. Now, I know he won't be reading this, so here goes. He is a little bit forgetful, and I told him to use public transport, but you know what people are like. Anyway, he got down there, stayed a couple of days, and made his way back - cushtie!!! Nope, on the way back, on the M4, he missed the M25 junction and ended up in Central London. This is just the thing you laugh about if you read about it in the press. At least he didn't do 25 laps of the M25. He asked directions and eventually got back home. He then received a letter, telling him that he had been fined for not paying a congestion charge. He wrote back with a back up statement from me and my aunt. He has just received a final reminder from Transport for London - obviously trying to get back a bit of their money, which has been taken by the Icelanders.
I have told him not to pay, and that I will contact his MP and Transport for London. He is a very worried person!
Doesn't this sort of thing make you sick?!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
24,519 Posts
Pretty annoying and it doesn't seem fair although how could they know the individual circumstances when applying the charge to your old man?

I feel for you all in and around London.

As a Manc we get the next gen of congestion charging. You can't go to work or come home from work without paying up to approx £1250 p.a. of your pre tax salary.

It is designed to hit workers with a band of times just wide enough to prevent you going in early or leaving late enough to avoid it.

That is a huge extra tax on going to work.:wow: I haven't had a pay rise remotely close to that in years never mind inflation and I will have to pay it almost every work day when it come in.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to say, that my dad did write to them a couple of weeks ago, and they still refuse to waive the fine, even though it is a genuine mistake. He could ill afford the petrol for the trip there and back (he only has a basic pension), but to get fined just added insult to injury. We even contacted the police, when he didn't get home on time.
Ah well, if you are a foreigner, you will never have to pay any kind of fine in this country. I find myself becoming increasingly bad tempered and intolerant.

H

·
0 Posts
It's a tough situation, but I understand that they can't make exceptions. They don't know that the story isn't false, there are plenty of scammers out there who'd be at it if there were refunds or quashed charges everytime somebody wrote a letter explaining their innocence.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Shouldn't be a conjestion charge in the first place.

...what should happen is that your Dad pays and then presents his receipt at the Post Office for an equivalent discount off his car tax next year (that'll be the tax we pay to travel on UK roads)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Shouldn't be a conjestion charge in the first place.
Of course not but there is and until there is a re-think in the UK we are stuck with it.
All those who voted LAbour - its ALL YOUR FAULT!!

Its not a fine your dad has to pay, but presumably the £8 C. Charge itself.
Best to pay that sharpish as the longer it drags on the more the
bar5tards will add on and they will be the fines for not paying in time.
Write and say that you will pay the £8 if thats the end of it - explain that you dad is an out-of-towner, never driven in London before etc., but if they want to drag it out so will you - tell the local media and all that stuff and write to Boris himself who is not a fan of the CC.
Good luick.

H

·
0 Posts
Of course not but there is and until there is a re-think in the UK we are stuck with it.

Write and say that you will pay the £8 if thats the end of it - explain that you dad is an out-of-towner, never driven in London before etc., but if they want to drag it out so will you - tell the local media and all that stuff and write to Boris himself who is not a fan of the CC.
Good luick.
Boris has done nothing to scrap the congestion charge, and his look into the western expansion has by and large failed to materialise. Neither the congestion charge, nor the western expansion will be scrapped, and Boris has always supported the CC in theory.

He's also massively pro-cyclist, and has never failed to air that view, so lets not make him out to be pro car.

On the other hand he does plan (apparently) to allow motorcycles into bus lanes, which is about the most sensible thing I've heard from him in some time. If he goes ahead with that plan then i'll be well and truly chufed :thumbs:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Not fair on an old man, but they seldom listen to excuses !!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Neither the congestion charge, nor the western expansion will be scrapped, and Boris has always supported the CC in theory.
That is true alas - and he also supports the LEZ which is another money spinner.
On the other hand he does plan (apparently) to allow motorcycles into bus lanes, which is about the most sensible thing I've heard from him in some time. If he goes ahead with that plan then i'll be well and truly chufe
Indeedy. There is a biker-friendly bus lane in Kingston which I always use. I will however believe Boris's plan when I see it actually happen. The cycling lobby tried to put the boot in by saying m/cycles were dirty and shouldn't be allowed in bus lanes. I think my catalytic converter fitted Fazer is a tad cleaner than a London bus.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Good luick.
Alfie, checked with my dad last night, and it is the £60 fine, no second chances. They will not listen to anything. I really hate the way this country is going.:mad:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Outrageous! I'm really sorry to hear about the fine. £60 is way too much for the non-offence of crossing an imaginary line patrolled by £20,000,000 worth of cameras.

Roll-on the revolution when the ordinary man fights back.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Outrageous! I'm really sorry to hear about the fine. £60 is way too much for the non-offence of crossing an imaginary line patrolled by £20,000,000 worth of cameras.

Roll-on the revolution when the ordinary man fights back.

We have sleep walked into this. We had a council official tell us we had put the wrong size 'no smoking' sign up on our office front door.......you couldn't make it up.

Can't wait for ID cards
...they'll be in their element with those!

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
This country has gone to the dogs.

Women gets £12500 a month rent from out tax to keep a roof over the head of her 7 kids - the system is there to protect people who lose their jobs not give hand outs to scroungers.

This is just another way of robbing the decent ordinary folk who make a simple mistake out of their hard earned - maybe your dad can get a few quid off the goverment to help him pay up as a state pension is not exactly generous is it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts