Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As confirmed by AlfaNige (big thanks to him last night as he confirmed my worse fears and spent a good few hours round my house offering his expertise) I require a new turbo for my 156 JTD 136bhp – I’m dreading what the cost is going to be but can someone please confirm whether or not they can be reconditioned or not ?

I’ve seen several sites advertising recon turbos for around £400 but I don’t fancy buying one if it’s going to be utter rubbish.

Have heard that it’s not possible to set the veins up correctly on an old turbo which is why you should always buy a new one…over £700 gulp !

My car is sounding like the wind section of an orchestra and need to get it sorted ASAP.

W

·
0 Posts
Someone (ages ago!) posted a link for turbos costing about £300...couldn't find it last time I looked so not much help, but...might be worth checking out.

wrinx

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wrinx - cheers mate, have searched previous posts and cant come across the link.

Hopefully someone will come back with some info.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
You cannot recondition and set these VNT turbo's back up properly as you need a flow rig and special tools to set the vanes up.

Garret (and their agents) and Turbo Technics will confirm this.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CJ - if they cant be reconditioned then what are these turbos then that are adertised as Recon ? Should I stay well clear ?

COnfirmation last night that my turbo blew up last night on the A34 - lots and lots of white smoke and something rattling (bearing maybe) around the turbo horrendousley :(

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The turbo may indeed be reconditioned but the VNT section will be uncalibrated.

I would just buy a new one, there was a cheap source on here for them from Italy.

Be careful that your car doesnt start running on oil and 'running away' - i.e over-revving and killing the whole engine.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CJ - thanks for the info. Just called Alfa for a new turbo and they sell recon ones for £676 on an exchange basis. Do you know if these are calibrated or not ? I spoke to the guy in Parts and he didn’t know, all he said was it had a 12month guarantee with it.

Am confused.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The Alfa one will be fine. Alfa Recon just usually means its an exchange part, the 'new' one just requires no exchange.

They are usually brand new. The manufacturer can recondition these, machine shops cannot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts