Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
34,471 Posts
Part of the spec for the taillights on the top section of the Transit Connect ,for which I was the designer, has a valve on the vent holes. This fabric valve I recall was from Gore and the part being non functional needed a vent as there is no function ( bulbs) to prevent the air expanding and exploding the part!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I read this thread with interest when it was resurrected a few days ago as i recently aquired a Brera which has this issue in both rear lights. The passenger side wasn't too bad with some misting in each corner but the drivers side was shocking with lots of condensation inside it covering the entire light. I took both off and drilled some small 2.5mm holes to the underside to help dry them out. I then left them in the house for a week to dry out naturally. The passenger side was fine after only a day but the drivers side was 3 to 4 days before all the moisture had gone. I then gave them another day just to make sure before i sealed them. I checked to make sure there wasn 't any cracks or damage to the lens allowing water in then carefully sealed the entire perimeter of the lights and then sealed the holes i'd drilled. I fitted them back to the car last night and this morning they were still mist free.

Then the sun came out! The passenger side one started misting in both corners where it did before and then once the sun hit the drivers side one it started doing the same. The drivers side light is now almost completely misted up again, admittedly not as bad as before but wtf! Anyone have any ideas why this would happen after the fix and why it would happen so quickly? Cheers
It should dry after a few days as the steam can escape eventually. I still think the best fix is removing the light Assembly and re-siliconing around the assembly and the black plastic as mine has been good for a while now, but the holes should work too. The other thing to do to get rid of the mist is the place an air dryer near the light assembly and dry it out by blowing dry air into them for a while. Good luck with whichever route you take but you are well down track to fixing it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Took my rear light unit out and dried it out with an hoover etc. I did notice it had a small hole drilled at the bottom (indicator side) and a small crack on the top (where the plastic cover piece clips in).
This meant the previous owner had problems with it, but it was fine for nearly a year???
The small hole had been sealed up so I unblocked it when I was hoovering it out etc, do you have to seal the hole back up?
I've refitted it, but forgot to put back the plastic cover on the top and it pissed down through the night, it was fogged up as before!!! Aaaah bugger, I've left it and put everything back on (the inside cover etc and it now appears to be clearing up, but very slowly.
Just wondering about the hole (block or leave unblocked)???
Thanks

41 - 43 of 43 Posts