Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been following all kinds of threads related to all different ways of getting more power from the TBI engine (not the QV).

I've tried two different chips:

*the expensive Racechip.
*the Magnetti Marelli chip

Both trials brought no success. In both cases it seems that the chips, even though being for my engine (the Spider/Brera/159) it never worked.

After a lot of thoughts I chose the more expensive route which was going to an experienced mapping company in Stockholm Sweden for doing it the "right" way.

The guys had the car for a while, testing the output before mapping and then mapping while testing.

The end result was approx 37 hp and 55 Nm and all of this achieved at "better" rpm than before.

Excluding the mapping part, they even modified slightly the air box so that the engine breathes slightly better while still using the recommended standard filter.

Now I have a higher boost pressure (peaking at 1,6 bars).

What they told me was that I should be careful with the usage, not using full boost for longer period of times due to excessive heat (which is normal because I have the standard inter cooler).

So I use the extra power with caution, not going uphill with full boost for ages but maximum a couple of minutes.

This for me is common sense considering the components at hand.

What I've also done, based on their recommendation, is to use a "better" oil (Mobil1), changing the filter and doing this every 10k km (which also sounds reasonable).

The thoughts now crossing my mind is for example threads about people blowing up their turbos (something about the older turbo), loss of power and some other stuff.

Now, my car was built April 2011 (which I assume is the new turbo).

Based on what I wrote above, do any of you based on your experience, feel a worry about my engine on my behalf?

Worth noting is that when driving slightly harder than average I always drive with low boost (close to zero) for 10 minutes to cool the different components down.

The only thing I have noticed was once, when driving on high gear with low rpms, I accelerated but the engine gave no power (it felt like the computer was cutting power), so I let go of the gas pedal for two secs, accelerated again and without problems.

I tried various times to repeat it but never succeeded.
When speaking with the tuning company they told me that it could have been a glitch somewhere or a value that made the computer flip slightly but no worries (which also sound reasonable).

Last but not least, knowing that the gearbox is on the limit already with standard power I try not using full power on lower gears.

Any comments?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Do not any any recent experience on Turbos but...
- advice to ensure lasting reliability was to ensure last few miles of a journey were "quiet" so the turbo and engine were parked partially cooled down.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
my car is one of those with a turbo that failed. It hasn't been remapped. The throttle stall issue is lso present on my car where when you ask for full power the turbo sometimes doesn't boost. This is down to a software issue (knock sensor or lambda sensor dropping boost significantly).

What is important to note is that the oil for these engines is critical. Use the best oil (Mobil New Life 0W40 comes recommended). The turbos develop lots of heat due to higher boost pressures mainly, and also spin a lot faster than most other turbos to develop this boost.

On my turbo, the failure was the compressor nut which came loose, causing the compressor to seize against the scroll. The newer turbos were introduced in April 2011 (my car was assembled in July 2011 and had a new turbo by the way).

There have been several failures of tbi engine turbos where the bearings failed after servicing due to inferior oil being used.

Pics:

Note the loose nut on the compressor shaft.
The new model number for the turbo on the second pic: 55232225

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dimman,

Thanks for info.

Most Tbi owners keep silent because, as I assume, we are praying that our turbos will not go south... :(

Ian, Mobil New Life is not ACEA C3 class oil.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...a quick report from the German Autobahn...reaching 250 km/h was not a problem (with 245/35R19)...I wasn't trying to find the top speed which feels foolish with a soft top convertible...

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I did 250 too in my tbi (see post on top speed) with my new turbo. Even though mobil 1 new life is not aeca c3 approved is because the spec wasn't available when the oil was developed and classified. It is a long life low ash oil with the best protection. I do now however use the correct selenia oil. Stay with that. I know several people who have highly tuned tbi's and didn't suffer any failures even on the qv with a much smaller intercooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts