Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I haven't much experience compression testing so just wanted to run by what I've done because the figures don't seem great to say the least.

I've only got a cheap tester but got the following results;

100 - 100 - 95 - 105

This is on a cold engine, no oil down bores, Outside Temperature 6 degrees, Altitude 60m (169ft) Wide open throttle.

It seemed to start and drive OK but those results seem very poor?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
As above, consistent but low.

You've taken the plugs out of all the other cylinders - not just the one you're testing?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Each main plug removed but left in the 2nd plugs. I will try dropping some oil on the pistons tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

·
Vendor
46,349 Posts
Is there another engine you could try compression testing?

Whats the engine like? Does it feel as quick as it should be? Does it use much oil? Whats the mileage?

If the engine was so worn as to be making only 100psi across the board I would at least expect some more variation from one cylinder to the next, unless it has done a trouble free 600,000 miles or something like that.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could try a test on another car over the weekend but last time I used it was on a puma 1.7 and if I recall the figures were as expected.

It's a bit unknown as far as the engine goes 100k with zero history. I've only driven a couple of miles so can't say about oil use etc but it seemed OK but I wouldn't really have noticed if it was down on power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts