Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've attempted to compress the front coil springs using some spring compressors. The problem is they are not compressing enough - the bottom and top of the springs are still touching the the strut and the top mount when the compressors have been fully compressed and have no further movement.
IMG_20200227_172235375.jpg
Any idea what. Doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I had the same problem with this type of compressor. I used straps to hold the springs compressed when they were at the stage you have reached, then took the compressors (I used two) off and reattached on the next coil and re-tightened.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of buying another set of compressors to see if I could use 4 compressors on 1 spring. I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to get them all on the spring at the same time though.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Possibly not, I don't know. I wouldn't bother.

I used a ratchet strap and another piece of nylon heavy duty webbing I had in the garage and wrapped it round a few times just to hold the compressed coils together. A couple of leather leather belts should do it. Again, I would wrap it round a few times for safety. There is a lot of tension as you know, and I always err on the side of caution with springs.
If you use the same procedure for re-installing be careful that you don't get the strap caught between coil and pan, as you then can't get the strap out and have to re-compress (ask me how I know :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I used two sets of compressors to compress the springs sufficently. It is still challenging with two sets.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used two sets of compressors to compress the springs sufficently. It is still challenging with two sets.
Is there any particular type of compressors that you found good? Or would 2 sets of the ones I'm using in the picture above be ok?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had one set with about 10mm wide hooks and one set like yours. The 10mm wide set are about 35 years old though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had one set with about 10mm wide hooks and one set like yours. The 10mm wide set are about 35 years old though.
Cheers. I'll try and get my hands on another set with smaller hooks to give me more room to work. I originally went for those as the hooks looked quite good and thought there'd be less chance of them slipping off.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
When I did my springs, I used a couple of cheap sets of compressors and there was still a bit of pressure from the springs on the shock and top mount. I had already loosened the top nuts with an impact driver. I put the strut pointing in a safe direction with the impact driver on the nut so I could operate it from around the corner of a wall. I gingerly pressed the trigger on the impact driver and it came apart in a totally unspectacular fashion. I will caveat this post by saying that you do this totally at your own risk and I accept no responsibility for any injuries inflicted or damage caused by low flying suspension parts. Also mine is a Twinnie so the springs aren’t as stiff as those on a V6.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Ian, i have recently been doing similar work!
be very careful - that's the safety advice over.

If you are disassembling - then the answer is . put it back on the car. jack the car up under the wishbone, so the suspension is loaded. use an impact gun (best tool i EVER bought!) and undo the nut, then gently lower the suspension out. You'll need to be dropping the car onto axle stands at that point.

after much messing about with compressing the springs, this method worked fine for me.
I was very cautious.
best
P

·
Registered
314 Posts
Done quite a few Alfa and Fiat Coupe ones over the years and I've always used 4 compressors (of 2 types), the ones you're using are great for safety but for the final compress when these have bottomed out you need something like these:Clarke CHT224 3 piece Coil Spring Compressor - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

They aren't the safest when using them on their own but perfect when used in conjunction with the type you've got. Might be worth buying one of these as well for reassembling the shock: Strut Nut Socket Set 5pc | Part No. 6496 | Part of the Struts and Dampers range from Laser Tools

Good luck

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
From your picture, you need to have the compressor on the bottom coil (you've only grabbed 3 x coils). I've also attached the 'hooks' of one end of the compressor onto the metal plate of the shock before (the plate that the bottom coil sits on). Those compressors you have are near enough the same as mine and I've fitted/removed lots of springs with them. Must say it's not my favourite job though, it's fiddly to get them right - and easy to scrape the new spring going on.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Having done this recently, I don’t think you’ve missed coils at all - you can’t grab the top and bottom coils as there is no room, even with fancypants SP compressors.

You will probably find the tension is negligible - undo the top nut until the top is level with the top of the thread (it is still fully threaded, no need to be afraid). You will almost certainly find that the spring can be pushed down to the stop by hand - if this is the case, just undo the nut. If someone has put bizarre springs on, then doing it on the car is indeed the answer - it takes about 2 minutes to shove the strut back in and bolt up the bottom.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies. One last question (hopefully). I've read that if you use an impact wrench then that should just whiz the nut off without the need for the open socket/strut tool? Is this correct? What about for reassembly?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
It works for getting it off - if it doesn’t you can grip the damper shaft with mole grips. Putting it back together is more hit and miss. Sometimes with a new nyloc, it will just spin the shaft. If you’re reusing the old ones, they will generally tighten.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts