Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm getting the maguairs G220 v2 machine polisher. I want to get everything I need I one go rather than dribs an drabs. All I want is to be able to wash, remove scratchs, polish, protect. So my question is what bits do I need as reading up just produces a million answers so I'd rather see what people are using on their Alfa's as paint varies from brand to brand. Specifically:
1. Pads for the DAS ( sizes and types etc)
2. Cutting compound for scratchs
3. Polishing compounds
4. Waxes
5. Clay bar
6. Anything I haven't covered that is important

Finally I'm budgeting around £300 incluing the DAS £150 ish is available for the bits although I can take a view if I need it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads
Chemical Guys Hexlogic buffing pads - Clean Your Car

Scratches
Menzerna - Fast Gloss FG 400 - Clean Your Car

Polish
Menzerna Power Finish PO203S | Menzerna Polish - Clean Your Car

Finishing
Menzerna Final Finish PO85RD - Clean Your Car

Or buy the kit
Menzerna 250ml Sampler Kit - Clean Your Car

Wax
Collinite No. 845 - Insulator Wax - Clean Your Car
But there are soooooooo many others - this one is easy to use and lasts a good time

Clay Bar
Clay Bar Products | Protect Paintwork With Clay Bars - Bilt-Hamber UK
No need for a quick detailer for lube - just use water !!!! They are awesome

Others - get a quick detailer
This is well regarded
SONAX Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer - 750ml - Clean Your Car
My favorite
Optimum - Instant Detailer Concentrate (32oz) - Clean Your Car

Now that is a good start

·
Registered
988 Posts
You can buy a DAS6-Pro on Detailing World (Group Buy) for £99. Huge range of polishes including the above mentioned Menzerna range. I would guess the most popular polishes for sale are the Meguiars 105 & 205. These will let you work on almost any paint, two small bottles will cost you about £10 each and would be enough to do more than several cars.

As for pads, Hexlogic are probably the most popular although I would suggest the difference between most pads is not huge. If buying everything in one go I would also buy some spot pads, you will need some small backing plate as well, these are perfect for intricate areas such as door frames. Also get some masking tape and something to clean up after polishing eg IPA or something like CarPro Eraser, Bilt Hamber cleanser polish etc

Bilt Hamber clay is very good and you get a lot for your money, I also really like Sonax clay although this is more expensive.

Vast array of waxes for sale but does it need to be a wax

There are probably a lot of other things you could buy if you wanted, products like Bilt Hamber Korrosol or CarPro IronX are very popular for removing metal from the paint. You have not mentioned anything to do with wheels, again the Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner is very popular. For trim and other rubber products there are products like CarPro Dlux or Gtech C4. Lot of glass sealants such as Gtech G1. Bilt Hamber do a really nice general cleaner called Surfex HD which then leads us on to the products generally called APC's (All Purpose Cleaners), these are great for the interior and exterior

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys that is very helpful. I'll have a good look through and then may come back with some more questions.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally arrived today. I'll be trying to get some results on the GTA over the weekend

Attachments

D

·
0 Posts
Nice set up Joss, what's in the 3 coloured containers on the rear right?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah haha mate ;)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Hours of fun in those packages.

Everyone in my street thinks I'm demented now cos once you start using that stuff it gets you hooked and you keep spotting bit's that 'Just need a bit more work'.

Enjoy:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well started today and actually it is very theraputic as you can actually see results. Only managed the bonnet and wings before the rain started but will get through the car over the next couple of days but I am super pleased and I am glad I bought the kit. It is now very apparent that my paint is totally knackered with loads of small scratches that are through to the primer which I wasn't aware of as I never spent a large amount of time paying that much attention to it. (ignorance is bliss :rolleyes:) it only annoys me as now I know it's there :lol: But overall I'd say the paintwork is 50% better where I've spent time on it so hopefully a bit more care like this may help it further. And look at that beeding :D

So a new question. Is there anything I can do to help reduce these tiny scratches until I get it painted?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought that would be the response. well at least it is being protected now :)

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Use Poorboys Black Hole glaze. It's purple... formulated for dark colours... but it'll reduce the appearance of minor scratches as well as anything that's hit the primer.

You need a glazing pad.. (non abrasive) and then you need to put wax over the top of it. It is normally applied between the polish and the wax.

I use Lake Country pads .. they're rainbow-colour coded from red all the way through to blue:

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/applicationguide/lakecountry-pad-application-guide.pdf

I reckon someone that anal about pads must knoe what they're doing.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice one Ralf

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally :D spent most of sunday on it.