Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend for a complete beginner, barely even washed my old car, really hope to start looking after my 159.

Im not bothered about a full on show roam finish and am nervous about using waxes and clays and stuff because i have no experience what so ever and am worried i will mess somthing up.

What would be a good basic level to start with, i was looking at maybe a gift set type thing from autoglym, what would be the best basics to start off with?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Clay bars are worth doing, just give the car a good wash first, and take your time doing it properly, using plenty of the supplied lubricant. The finish afterwards is amazing, smooth as glass.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after reading some of the stuff on here and on autoglym's website they use alot of micro fibre cloths, how many would i need, one for each job or can it be the same ones?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use Meguiars products. Their ultimate wash & wax shampoo is particularly good and the results last for quite a while.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You need lots of MF cloths. Definitely don't mix them for different jobs. Buy a pack of 10 they are as cheap as chips.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers, some are quite expensive, like the autoglym ones but I guess have a couple if those for finishing and then some cheaper ones for the dirtier jobs.

Another question, I've seen people saying that after claying they wash again, now is that a full soap wash or just a rinse?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You don't need to buy the very expensive ones.

I don't wash after claying.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Don't forget the two bucket method and a good wash mit. Do not use a sponge
Also the first time, I'd wash it with fairy liquid....strips any of the old protection etc that was put down.
From then on out, I'd use a good ph neutral shampoo.
Claying is a must but you only need to do it every 6 months or so. If the clay bar drops do not reuse it. That's why I cut mine into quarters.
A wax that I really like is bilt hambers finis wax, some unreal beading from it.

You don't need to wax your car every week, I'd do it every 6-8 weeks, or if it seems to stop working.

If it was me, I'd buy a good pH neutral shampoo, 2 wash buckets (I use 2 mop buckets that I got for under a 10 euro) a wash mit, a clay bar and a good wax.
A microfibre drying towel, while expensive is definitely worth it, as it saves so much time.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was thinking of just getting an Autoglym set and then adding the HD wax and Clay bar to go with it, they are about half price on amazon at the moment.

Do you recommend getting the aqua wax as an interim wax between the proper washes.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
aqua wax is really good. have a look for express wax, it's the same product but in bigger sizes.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Bradley. Attempted the claying yet?

I bought the Autoglym Surface Detailing Clay 5-piece kit from Amazon. Now I can recommend it - the Brera looks good. However, I'm not too sure the car was actually dirty enough to benefit much from the clay. The lubricant, which is also called Rapid Detailer, brings the shine up nice, too. The Super Resin Polish benefits from some elbow grease and really brings makes the beast shine! Lovely. I got some Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2 to finish things off, but it hasn't stopped raining long enough to apply it! I might have to polish again before I do the final wax. The hard work really pays off, but I won't feel compelled to do it again for quite a while.

One thing I would say about the clay: do it on a warm day, like 20°, because the clay would be more malleable. It was so cold the day I did it, I found it difficult to mold the clay into a flat shape. Also, it seemed to be doing more work down along the bottom edges of the car, like around the wheel arches and skirting boards, which makes sense.

The Autoglym kit is good for three uses, I would say, so break the clay into thirds and just keep folding it to reveal a clean surface as you proceed through the job. There are online claying videos on you tube.

D

·
0 Posts
When i clayed mine yesterday i done it in a garage but even then i was struggling with clay not being pliable enough.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found that if you just keep at it it does get more pliable and while using it it gets easier

Did you do the whole car or just the bonnet?

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you, you said on another thread you would just do the bonnet?

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like glass when you've done it all, although i did notice some other bits in the paint which need fixing, need to wait for it to get a bit warmer so i can spend all day doing it properly

D

·
0 Posts
My paint looked generally in good nick but i have some rust on one of the outer sills that needs doing soon.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
If you're going to clay and it's cold... pop the beast into a plastic bag and dunk it in warm water... or put it in your shirt pocket.. or leave it on the boiler overnight etc.

Ralf S.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts