Alfa Romeo Forum banner

When do you complain about food and/or service in a restaurant?

• Before The Meal.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Complain in a restaurant!?! Never! The shame would be too much!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When out with friends (a few of whom are chefs, the worst culprits)
they sometimes like to raise a bit of a fuss about the service or food.

Trouble is, they do this BEFORE we've actually received all
the courses.

Personally I'd prefer to wait 'til the meal is over
before offering any critic to the waiter and/or chef.
Just so as not to get a portion of "Chef's Special Sauce".

What about every one else?
Do you complain before.during
food, after the food or not at all?

N.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I've voted during the meal, but to be honest, if they bought the food and it looked burnt, or wasn't what I ordered, or service was slow, I'd complain before I started eating, which technically is before the meal.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend is a chef and he knows not to complain too early, for the reason you mention :eek: . However, he then proceeds to try to get a discount or some free drinks! Embarrassing or what?!! :lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
in a nutshell, i would never complain,unless the food was totaly inedible.
basically i would just NEVER go back..
(9 times out of 10 the complainants are just after a freebie meal or drinks)
i work on the basis you do not serve what you would not eat yourself.
simple.:tut: :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
oh and just for the record, if your gonna complain do it before you actually eat the meal-you are more likely to get your money back :p

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
My wife will do it! She doesn't hold back when the moment calls for a direct approach! If the food is poor on presentation, or isn't cooked or tastes bad, it goes back, no question, then maybe after the meal a quiet word with the manager normally gets things moving.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We've complained both during and after. If it's a lousy meal then complain as soon as it arrives but if it's just crap then complain after when they come and ask "was everything alright for you?".

Generally after the food has arrived though.....have to say, quality of food seems to be getting worse!!!

wrinx

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'll complain as soon as something does not do justice to the bill I will receive.

Just last week I was at a nice looking restaurant in a small town in Holland. They had the nerve to open up a pack of deep fried supermarket veggies and serve it with my (great) ostrich steak:confused: .

If the cook has any hopes of becoming a chef he should have explained himself the minute he opened the deep fry veggies. Idiot! To ruin my otherwise perfect steak with something I buy at the local deli? :mad:

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Davztyr said:
in a nutshell, i would never complain,unless the food was totaly inedible.

this is probably the only time i would complain as i dont like the idea of it coming back with bogies and spit and other stuff that i wont mention:eek: :D

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Nev said:
When out with friends (a few of whom are chefs, the worst culprits)
they sometimes like to raise a bit of a fuss about the service or food.

Trouble is, they do this BEFORE we've actually received all
the courses.

Personally I'd prefer to wait 'til the meal is over
before offering any critic to the waiter and/or chef.
Just so as not to get a portion of "Chef's Special Sauce".

What about every one else?
Do you complain before.during
food, after the food or not at all?

N.
You should of made it a multi-selection-poll ...... as I complain before, during, and after :lol:

(next time, add an "other" -option... I can't stress this enough ;) )

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
It would depend on where we are eating.

If it is a place like a BeefEater, or somewhere where you just know all they have done is open up a catering pack and microwave it, I wouldn't normally bother - you get what you pay for.:rolleyes:

However, if it is a decent place that looks like it takes a pride in their food, and the meal was not cooked as I asked for it (for example, an overcooked steak) I would mention it but not send it back unless it was inedible. If it was just not very well cooked or sourced, I wouldn't bother to mention it - I would just not bother returning.

Generally, I would not ask for, or expect, any money off for a badly cooked meal.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I prefer after ...
There is no point complaining during the meal or before the meal :rolleyes:
Couse after the meal you know all ;)

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
AFTER the meal, always. I don't want any unrequested "dressings" on my food... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts