Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some advice please guys. My 6 month old mito with 2500 miles on the clock developed a compression fault and had 2 b taken in2 my nearest dealer. This was 18/12/09 . I got a hire car ( which i had 2 pay a hefty deposit on ) 30/12/09! The cars still there and aruk only just agreed 2 an engine rebuild last friday after alot of chasing up by me and the dealer. I missed xmas with my son who lives with his mum, i couldn't see my mum who is being treated 4 cancer and had 2 get my 75yr old father in law 2 come and pick me and the missis up xmas day. The cars been plagued with faults, new speakers, faulty petrol sender unit, blue and me keeps crashing, brakes pads need 2 b renewed cos of grinding, an alarm fault and now potentially this alternator problem 2 look fwd 2! When i've phoned aruk i've bn told i'd b called back by the case handler and have always had 2 chase them up. They offered me a free service but that was when the car was first taken in. But i don't think this sufficient 2 b honest. Wot should i b looking 4?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Sounds like you've had a nightmare ... sorry to hear that.

I agree with Nev and I'd reject the car and ask for a new one and a loan car in the meantime

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
When you say compensation package I assume you are looking for a monetary figure due to the inconvenience of not having a car?

Personally I don’t really think AR should have to pay any such compensation as you should have been supplied a curtsey car while the repairs were being carried out and have been offered a free service as a gesture of good will.

To seek a cash settlement in this case to me sums up what’s wrong with our Americanising society.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm not after money and never was, i just think with all the stress its caused me i was thinking a free service is not really sufficient. I can't really reject it the car as it has bn cachea repaired

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wilsons in romford had none, and i was told by amc alfa where i bought the car that they had some but were not sending any out over xmas.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
This is a disgrace....a courtesy car probably is all you can get out of them......tell them to refund your hire car expense and then ask for a different Mito.:mad:

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
A tough one I think.

Who did you buy the car from?
How many times has it been into the garage for the SAME fault?
Will they extend the warranty period after the engine rebuild?
Is the car Cat C or Cat D? Were you aware of this on purchase?

At the very least you should have had a loan car and a refund for your costs.

Get everything in writing to ARUK with dates etc and push for a rejection and a like for like exchange. The only sticking point is this 'crashed repair' you mention...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the damage was not recorded but was repaired at the alfa approved body shop at amc chelmsford. Most of the faults its bn in once but i have taken it in 3 times regarding the brakes

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
If its not cat c or cat d and the brakes have been in 3 times, then push for a swap and reject that car. Get it all in writing to the dealer and be prepared for a wait. Keep pushing and don't give up.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
If the engine or brakes issue wasn't as a result of the damage and said damage was repaired by an Alfa approved bodyshop, I cannot see what the issue is:confused:

Perhaps take legal advice.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the car back today, running so much better. But I think i'm gonna attempt a rejection, just feels like I'm waiting for the next fault to happen.

Wilsons have given me all the job sheets, invoices and alfa technical alerts. I also have all the job sheets from AMC Chelmsford. Gotta write a formal notice of rejection to the M.D at AMC. so it starts!!

And just to rub salt in the wounds i've goota take it in, in a couple of weeks for the brake pads to be replaced.

Thanks for everyones advice especially Hunter who I know has been through the same process.

Fingers crossed

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Brake pads replaced after 2500 miles?!?!?!? :wow::confused:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
faulty pads that are 2 brittle 4 the job and break apart causing grinding! Joke. And bn told they still don't know wot caused the engine fault and could happen again!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Accident damaged car is always a gamble. My mum had a bad crash in a brand new Polo years ago. It was very nearly a write off but they spent 2 months patching it up. Never ran right since, broke down many many times, steering would wander, lots of faults with electrics, brakes, clutch ect etc. Parents got rid as soon as they could afford another car.
You makes your choice and you pays your money...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it wasn't a front ender, it was a v.light dent and minor paint 2 the rear 1/4 panel. Nothing else was affected. Its just a lemon!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts