Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have both who can describe the real world differences? Or actually driven both.

Had 3.0 super, got 3.0 Sporto.
Loved the super, like the sporto.

Will I like the 2.5 V6?
Will I notice the slight power decrease

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rob,
just a thought,
I have had two 2.5 V6 manuals - 1999 and 2000.
I thought the 1999 was quick. My current 2000 is so much faster that I double checked the diameter of the inlet tubes!
I expect a good 2.5 may be as quick as a mediocre 3.0!
Mine has 190K on the clock so it might be that as the engine is now loosened up!

Rob.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have a 2.5 and love it. It goes well, sounds great and does 30+ mpg on motorway runs... oh and thats with 108,000 on clock.

Hami

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
I went from a 2.5 156 to a 3 litre GTV if that helps.

The 3 litre felt slightly more powerful at the top end, but the main difference was the midrange torque, the 3 litre is much better in this respect and is a more effortless drive.

The 2.5 felt the smoother engine however.

Fuel economy was about the same.

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
When I bought my 166 3.2 I testdrove a 166 2.5 first. I loved both engines very much. The 3.2 has instant power delivery where the 2.5 is not so powerful at low revs (not enough midrange punch). I liked the 2.5 better with the Sport Throttle Response on.

You can get 20 bhp extra on the 2.5 when you use Squadra Tuning's remap combined with the 3.0 chromed inlet pipes + socket.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Before I purchased my 3.2, I test drove a friends 2.5. OK I was coming from a 2.0 156, but I loved the drive, I thought the engine was wonderful.

I haven't compared the 2 back to back, but I think if the 2.5 is good 'un then you wont have any regrets

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I purchased my 3.2, I test drove a friends 2.5. OK I was coming from a 2.0 156, but I loved the drive, I thought the engine was wonderful.

I haven't compared the 2 back to back, but I think if the 2.5 is good 'un then you wont have any regrets
Thanks Phil

Anyone else got both or driven them back to back?

Only "must have" is the STR button :)
Did the 2.5 come as super and sport like the 3.0? will check for specs

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This might be a bit sad, but the toys are the icing on the cake of brilliant design, great engineering and engine!

so early 2.5 specs MANUAL
standard; 5 speed, sunblind, STR
optional; rain sensing wipers, heated front screen, Cruise
No option;

later 2000 year 2.5 MANUAL
Standard; 6 speed, heated front screen, STR, Cruise
optional; sunblind, rain sensing wipers (std Lusso)
No option;

·
Registered
379 Posts
you must feel the diff with 34 horses...top end will be different and acceleration from 100mph onwards is noticeable on the 3.0...:)

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
I've driven both in a 156, it was the lack of mid-range I noticed more in the 2.5. It felt lively at the top end, but at normal driving revs I noticed a fair difference. 2.5 V6s always suffer from a lack of mid-range torque, but the short gearing on the 6-speed somewhat makes up for it. I don't know if the gearing is different on the 2.5 v2 3.0 in the 166, it might be. The 3.0 I drove was using the 2.5 gearbox so it was purely a comparison of the engines.

Fuel economy will be bang on the same though, the 2.5 is no more economical.

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
..2.5 V6s always suffer from a lack of mid-range torque..
That's because the 2.5 uses the 3.0 cams. And the cams are bit too 'sporty' (read: sharper cams which means shorter opening time of the valves, i.e. more focussed on high revs, than on mid range) for the 2.5.

S

·
0 Posts
Slightly off-topic - 3.2 vs 2.2 Spiders

I've got the 3.2, my very good friend FireCracker has the 2.2. We recently took them to a disused airfield near us to compare, without worrying too much about the attention of those boys in blue...

Overall, there's not quite as much difference as expected. The 3.2 has bags more torque (as already mentioned above), but the 2.2 is just as urgent (if you give it some decent revs, that is). The V6 is a heavy old lump, I suspect.

In a race, they pretty much keep up with each other up until 70 - 90mph, where the 3.2 definitely leaves the 2.2 behind. I chickened out at 120 (cluck cluck)...

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Pomeo has a 2.5 & 3.0 166 that he runs together - If he does not pop up soon send him a PM.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pomeo has a 2.5 & 3.0 166 that he runs together - If he does not pop up soon send him a PM.
Bingo !
He is the man I need to speak to. Thanks to all for valuable feedback, the 2.5 does seem to lack a little torque. Guess we can make up for it with revs.

Any difference is specs, that people really noticed?

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Thats my only big complaint is the midrange grunt - or lack of it.

It does need to be pushed to keep up these days :(

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
This topic has been discussed on the alfa bb forum a few times but more on the 2.5 12valve v6 against the 3.0 12 valve v6
The torque being the biggest difference. The 3.0 developes more torque at 1000rpm than the 2.5 does through out its range
I have a GTV6 which has a mint 2.5 engine in which I have taken out to try a 3.0l in. Its almost ready to drop in . I was reluctant to change at first but I would always be wondering what if One of the coments made on comparison was the sound of the 2.5 12valve against the 3.0 12valve and mine certainley sounded awsome different to the 3.0
The 2.5 seems sweeter and revs well and sounds better than the 3.0 but the power is obviously always a plus
The V6 busso is still THE best mass produced engine ever built and the decision to go with a GM v6 was crackers
Ive got a 24 valve 3.0 in my super with 45mm intakes ive a gtv6 ive two spare 2.5s and just bought the unused 2.5 v6 engine from ebay
They are a work of art in any combo

1 - 20 of 37 Posts