Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven to most big cities in my life and found that all have their own particular quirks, where the locals develop their own driving styles. (I dread having to drive through, or even around Manchester or London, due to the nihilistic attitudes, for example)
Despite living only 35 miles away, I admit to only visiting Liverpool on a few occasions, but after the last couple of weeks of driving there I'm ready to give my assessment!

Driving on the M58 and M57 is an absolute pleasure. People are courteous and let you out when you need to overtake a lorry; the 3rd lane is not full of tail-gating bullies, travelling at 100mph; the majority of drivers seem to be happy to stick to 70mph or just above. It is a completely stress-free motorway.

The problems only start when you come off the motorway - the a-roads are horrendously confusing 3 lane jobs, with sudden narrowing and direction changing. The pot-holes are frequent and deep. Actually, the pot-holes are very frequent and very, very deep - I saw one coming the other morning but couldn't avoid it because of the lorry coming past me in the middle lane of a 3 lane carriageway. I'm sure I heard my car wince.

The main thing I've noticed, however, is that red lights seem to be non-existent. I have learnt that a red light means that at least 5 cars can go through on red. Especially when you are waiting to turn right at a junction with no yellow cross hatching. Yesterday I had to escape from such a junction and got an annoyed flash by an oncoming car who was travelling straight through a red at least 15 seconds after it had changed.

Compared to driving in Preston, this is really brutal, survivalist driving.

It's a real Chalk and Cheese journey and it's certainly a learning curve, but i'd rather have decreased stress level before arriving at work.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I used to work near the M57 at Prescott but live near the M6. On the odd occasion that I needed to avoid the M62 or East Lancs I found the M57/M58/A57/other roads junction to be one of the most confusing junctions around with people ignoring the correct lanes in certain places.

I found that the M57/M58 were as you described as they were often free flowing, but the M62 was nearly as bad as it is in other places.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The worst bit of the return journey is the northbound M6 slip road at Orrell - its a very sharp bend which doesnt allow for much speed, but when you are behind someone at 20 mph about to join the M6, it gets a bit twitchy...

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
The usual **** about Scousers being thieves I see!
Keep up the good work :thumbs:

Reactions: MalcQV

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
You are far more likely to get your wheels nicked in Manchester than Liverpool. My daughter schooled (university) there and we visited quite a bit at the time and eat there regular. It's a nice city with nice people.

That said I rather like Manchester and even The Owd Smoke's all right.

**** I like everybody in the whole world... except the French. They make the most abysmal **** cars and they stole our company. Feckers.

Reactions: stan laurel

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
London commuting's definitely an acquired taste - road rage is the accepted state of mind, and I once I saw an urban cowboy-esque 'reverse into someone who's hooting you and then drive away fast' incident.

But weirdly, except for the potholes (which made the car cry), driving from north London to the city in a black 916 GTV was a strangely relaxing experience. Everyone got out of my way and I never got cut up, even in Hackney; maybe they assumed I was a drug dealer with an ak-47 on the passenger seat...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts