Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home from work on friday night about 11.15, and was more or less home, i was doing about 40 mph which is by no means fast, but is over the limit (who does 30?) anyway as i rounded the bend i saw 2 pretend coppers hiding behind a phone box with a speed camera! WTF! When did they start trapping cars! Now i wasn't pulled over, but i am waiting to see if anything comes through the post!
I was very very tempted at the time to stop and ask them what the **** they were doing! As they can't arrest me i was gonna go off on one! And possibly shove his gun up his ****!
Is this just yet another way to make money!
Now i walk my kids to school along that road, are they about then? NO!
But wait till after 11 when hardly a car on the road!

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Erm, I stick to 30 in a 30 zone and 40 in a 40 becuase the North Wales Nazi please are so keen on a revenue stream - its also the law.

As for the community officers - sorry mate but they are still upholding the law of the land. I doubt very much you will have anything through the post as it was proabaly just a laser gun.

I do understand your rant about the timing though - but that seems to be the way the law machine is working these days - pick on the easy targets to meet, erm, targets and make the stats look better :rant:

Nonetheless, count yourself lucky and learn from it ;)

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
i think they do a respectable job. good on them for trying to make the area you live in safer. you walk your kids down that road!?! but you dont mind breaking the speed limit?!? i don't understand that. surely youd act more responsibly when driving when you know its an area that children are often in. theres a limit for a reason at the end of the day.

·
Super Moderator
44,732 Posts
If you can't see far enough round the bend to tell whether there's police on the other side of it, perhaps you shouldn't be doing 40 round it? ;)

And if there's one speed limit I do obey, it's the 30.

Although I do take your point about the time of day, and this is the rant room after all, so rant away! :)

R

·
0 Posts
Plastic Police should have no authority to prosecute for speeding as far as I am led to believe, one of my drivers got caught by them but all he got was a letter saying he was recorded at blah blah blah and dont do it again.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Just like real polis..damned if you do damned if you dont..ssave the money and get real ones to kick real @@' and make the world a better place...oh michael already sang that tune.

Pomeo

·
Super Moderator
22,993 Posts
Luckily I live in a rural area so 60/70 (80/90 in reality) is legal on many of my journeys.

I lived in London for 36 years and I do know how frustrating it is doing 30/40 all day - never was a problem though - live in a high density area and the risk increases so you keep to low speeds.

·
Registered
818 Posts
At the end of the day YOU were in the wrong - not the Community Support team. They're doing a job a lot of people would not want to do. I'd say they were right to be out at that time - I've been on the roads at that time and people do some RIDICULOUS speeds when they think "no-one's watching"

Do you actually have to have an accident / kill someone to realise that excessive speeding is just plain daft?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
They had to find work for the PCSOs to do, as they have no powers of arrest and have been known to stand around watching a child drown in a lake due to Health and Safety regs and "insufficient training for water rescue". So I'm guessing the powers that be felt that they would come to no harm with a speed camera.....

PCSOs who 'stood by' as boy drowned named - Telegraph

In my opinion, PCSOs are a total waste of taxpayers money.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Can you elaborate more as to why? :rolleyes:
No powers of arrest. Why not spend the money on extra 'proper' police instead and crack down on the 'real' criminals in society. Put the speed cameras down, stop persecuting motorists on a daily basis and deal with muggers, rapists, drug dealers etc.

Can you explain to me why you think PCSOs are useful? (If you do) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I seem to be taking a bit of stick for doing 40 mph in a 30 zone! i didn't realise so many law abiding citizens came on here, who have never exceeded the national speed limits ever!
I wasn't speeding down a residentiel road, we are talking a main road, that buses fly along at well over 30 mph, and when 2 plastic coppers are hiding behind a phone box i just think its a bit of a low trick!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts