Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im plannin to buy a 155 2.0 95, and i wanted to know what should i look for..is there some special "defects" that the 155 has..ive owned a 33 for about 2 years and it had quite a few problems, so any help would be great...thnx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
first of all wecome to the forum m8 ;)
you'll find the 155 is a grate toy and a pleaser a drive ;)
common Problems! check the cam variater! to do this start the engine when cold! if it sound diesaly thats the sign
does it have full sevice history? check on the recipts on whats done!!

any other suggestions anyone??

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You say a 95 model ??? is it the 2.0litre 16v or the 1.8litre 8v ????
There are a lot of differences between the 2 engines (the 8v being stronger and cheaper/easier to maintain).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guys im the proud owner of a new 95 Alfa Romeo 155 2.0 8v car....god it is beautiful...so i've owned a alfa 33 before and i did quite some work on it...and now im planning to do the same with the 155...from tuning to painting to making it the loveliest alfa in finland=)))so if you guys can just tell me what are the best forums and pages for the alfa 155 then i'd b really grateful=))

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Welcome to th forum BG

What ever you would like to know about 155s just search the forum as the topic has probably been covered at some time
But don't be afraid to post any questions and comments

and post some pic of your beautiful new car :)

san

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations on your purchase! This is a good forum for advice cos we're all here :D But as San says searching the forum will bring up a wealth of information. Other common problems are useless windscreen wipers and sticking driver's window.
So what are you planning to do to your 155? Incidentally i think you'll find a few of us went from 33s to 155s, i did then went back to a 33 P4, then back to a 155, then back to a 33 P4 and am on 155s again now (2.0 16v).
Still love the P4 though.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ Andy,Best step you ever made mate.

BG welcome to the forum, any queries just post in the relevant area and somebody will get back to you

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx guys really feels good that i can ask ppl when something goes wrong..anywyas apparently my alfa also has the windscreen and window problems...any clues on what to do??what i basically wanna do to the 155er is put in an autodelta chip, since i heard it is quite simple on the 155. i wanna do the basics first though, like change all the filters, spark plugs and other essential basics... so what i wanna know is where can i find a Owner's Manual for the 155 is there one anywhere...and i got a really big question bout the T.Spark system...what is it?????how does it work and what spark plugs should i buy...what are the best ones for the 155??thnx alot guys

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You say it's a 95 2.0litre 8v ???
It's a skinnybody then ??

Just making sure we know what engine and car you have to give you the correct info ;)
The 8v engine is chain driven and therefore you don't have to worry
about the belts :D

If your car is the 8v, then the best plugs to use are the original Golden Lodge plugs (they are 4 electrode plugs and are cheaper than aftermarket big names. The 8v and V6 engines seem to run much better with these.

Show us some piccys of your new car then :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
now now...pics will come after i've polished her up a bit..the last owner didn't seem to understand that he owned an Alfa and not a japanese piece of garbage :p so i gotta do the basic powderin like wash paint, and wax then ill send the pics...i got a question though, is there anywhere on the net a Alfa Romeo 155 work manual. i really need one...any site that has pics, and info??thnx

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thnx alot for the work manual,i owe u big time (if u ever come to finland or bulgaria ill buy u a beer).I'm plannin to order a squadra chip, and from what i read in the forums the squadra chip is the best from the chips and it's really easy to install, am i mistaken??And how easy is it exactly to install and how much does it boost performance??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Andy said:
first of all wecome to the forum m8 ;)
you'll find the 155 is a grate toy and a pleaser a drive ;)
common Problems! check the cam variater! to do this start the engine when cold! if it sound diesaly thats the sign
does it have full sevice history? check on the recipts on whats done!!

any other suggestions anyone??
About the cam variator - I don't get what the fuss is about. Mine sounds a bit diesely at startup but it doesn't seem to affect performance at all - why is it such a bad thing? Will my engine go bang anytime soon or something?

By the way I too am a 33 refugee (or "refug33"?) :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mixsynth said:
About the cam variator - I don't get what the fuss is about. Mine sounds a bit diesely at startup but it doesn't seem to affect performance at all - why is it such a bad thing? Will my engine go bang anytime soon or something?

By the way I too am a 33 refugee (or "refug33"?) :)
While a diesely Variator isn't critical it will affect the performance of the engine as it degrades further, this is because Alfa put a sports orientated camshaft in the twin spark engines and these are prone to lumpy tickover so to rid the engine of the lumpy tickover they retarded the cam by 25 degrees and the variator will when working advance the timing by 25 degrees for top end power while allowing the engine to have a smoother tickover and be more tractable at lower revs when it goes back to it's static timing giving you an engine which is useable throughout the entire rev range :) :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 8v engine is different funnily enough. Disconnect the variator solenoid and it'll tick over fine. It's only when you try and load the engine that above about 2500rpm it's down on power.
Maybe they set the cam in the 8v already retarded for proper tickover and the variator then advances it at higher revs/loads. Whereas it seems then on the 16v, the variator is there to retard the cam at lower revs/loads.

Wonder what the benefits are of the different systems then ???

·
Registered
564 Posts
Marlon the 16 valve engine runs normally with the cams retarded and at a point where the load or revs are right the ECU uses the variator to advance the cam to gain a performance advantage, the attachment gives the cam timings for the 16 valve. ;) ;)
I think the problem lies in where the variator siezes rather than it just going back to the stock settings, I know when I changed mine that the tickover was as smooth before changing as it is now but the engine gained a power hike after about 3500RPM, where as others have experianced a lumpy idle indicating that the variator has siezed in a partial or fully advanced state. :) :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can you guys explain to me(a poor brained alfistian) what all those things about the cams mean??How do i check if my car has those problems...and what exactly are the problems is the cams are retarded..and what does a retarded cam mean????

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh I get it, I think... so if the variator isn't working properly (as might be the case with mine), you wouldn't be able to get the maximum power possible at high revs?

Sometimes my 155's idle speed keeps fluctuating up and down, other times it will remain constant. Wonder if this is to do with the variator.

I've also noticed a bit of 'hesitation' when accelerating under full throttle sometimes... maybe this is the variator fluctuating on and off? Sometimes I think I should be getting more power than I actually am.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts