Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going for a QV but before even going for a test drive I am rather put off by build quality issues I read about on this Forum. A lot of these are "common faults". My question is, is there a thread of these on the Forum? Is it common practice for dealers to simply complete the PDI before delivery and wait for complaints? I would be considerably reassured if there was such a check list and even more so if dealers sorted problems before delivery.
To go from my last 4 Japanese cars which had no faults whatsoever, during their warranty periods, to an Alfa is quite a step especially as the nearest dealer is 25 miles away. I do know what ppl mean by the Alfa feel because I owned 2 years ago, but reliability is more important to me.

·
Registered
34,411 Posts
there are some great deals on Mazdas at the moment .Seriously you are trying to cross the bridges before you get to them which suggests the head rather than the heart ruling the decision!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I am about to buy my first Alfa and asked the same questions on here. It was pointed out that, in general, only problems get threads created and that there are tens of thousands, if not more, of satisfied owners who are quite happy with their cars. In the end I let my heart rule my head otherwise I would be getting a Skoda.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
There are a few common items mentioned on AO, but don't forget AO is probably only a small proportion of Giulietta's out there.
The faults on here may only represent 3 or 4% of Giulietta's on the road and note 80-90% of people will post info on faults mainly to either advise others of what to look for or to ask advice on how to get it fixed rather than how perfect there car is (that will be the other 10-20%).

Some problems i have read about on here are:-

Top falling off gear knob (i think this is resolved by glueing at the factory now) - 10-15 maybe 20 people.
Gearbox - First gear tight, sometimes other gears too. 10-15 people
Blue & me loosing connection with phones/mem sticks & ipod. 6-7 people
Creaky seat frames. 5-6 people
Rattly speakers/door cards. 5-6 people
Creaky dash. 3-4 people
Rattles from sunroof frame. 2-3 people
Water in rear lights/boot. 2-3 people.

Other owners please feel free to ammend my figures if i'm under/over estimating and also add to the list.

A lot of the threads on here go on for some time as people ask questions & advise.
Unfortunately I have read of a couple of owners who had enough and got rid of their Friday afternoon car as Alfa didn't sort their problems fast enough or to the owners satisfaction which is a real shame.

There is no guarantee that any new car will be free from faults and niggles even with the best QA procedures.
Jap cars do tend to fair a bit better from what i hear, but i'm sure some suffer niggles too.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The gearbox and gearknob problems seem to have been in the first few months of production, though. I think it's safe to say that these won't be an issue for new buyers.

All new cars have problems; the better question to ask is "How well were the problems dealt with?", and that's where Alfa appear to be doing a good job now (they used to be very poor at after-sales, especially in the UK).

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can add sticky/stuck petrol cap to list of common faults as well.

Dealer just fixed mine, and they told me it was a known issue. Promptly dealt with by dealer and not a VERY serious issue unless it somehow gets completely stuck and you are completely out of petrol..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ALFA TI, thanks that's an excellent reply which you have obviously researched.

KRISW, that "better question" I like, which leads on to the need for a Good dealer, Bad Dealer thread. If a dealer takes the time to look for the obvious, which probably doesn't take that much time, then a lot of problems will never be seen by the buyer.

What do ppl know about Corkhills at Cheshire Oaks?

·
Registered
161 Posts
It bugs me that it appears in order to accept an Alfa product into their lives, people expect absolute perfection in all areas of the buying and ownership experience.

The car before my last one was a Golf. According to the brand and reputation, German engineering and attention to process efficiency would have made this car "perfect".

But:
1. The tyres kept wearing out and I was fortunate not to have to pay for them to be replaced twice in three years (company car) - cost c. £800. Got 2 small kids, so wouldn't call myself a boy racer. Well. Only sometimes :)
2. The battery kept going flat - 3 times I think. Had to be "rescued" from outside my house. Embarrassing!
3. It didn't go round corners at all well, even though it was top of the range diesel "GT Sport" model (FFS!)
4. The dealers we came into contact with had average to poor customer service when it came to servicing the blasted thing. "Computer says no" springs to mind.
5. The radio was rubbish and kept not switching on. Had to turn off ignition and start again to get it working - intermittent problem which I couldn't be bothered to sort out.

In principal it was without doubt an efficiently honed "value engineered" functional execution of a modern smallish family car.

But it was dull as dishwater as a result, it was far from perfect, and to buy it I would have had to pay a premium for that model vs say a Focus or now Alfa's G.

I mean, what MORE do Alfa have to do!!
Personally I would raid the marketing kitty to spend a basquillion quid on advertising to get the message out there more effectively than they do now.

</rant over!>

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thinking about going for a QV but before even going for a test drive I am rather put off by build quality issues I read about on this Forum. A lot of these are "common faults". My question is, is there a thread of these on the Forum? Is it common practice for dealers to simply complete the PDI before delivery and wait for complaints? I would be considerably reassured if there was such a check list and even more so if dealers sorted problems before delivery.
To go from my last 4 Japanese cars which had no faults whatsoever, during their warranty periods, to an Alfa is quite a step especially as the nearest dealer is 25 miles away. I do know what ppl mean by the Alfa feel because I owned 2 years ago, but reliability is more important to me.
Just buy a Mazda MPS.....sorted:)

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
My Giulietta is now 15months old. It was the first AR289 (Alfa Red) sold by my dealer (Alfa Red wasn't available at launch).
Faults (all fixed by dealer with no quibble)
Loose driver side leather seat
Water ingress to AR badge on tailgate
Rusted wheel balance weights
Stuck filler cap
Gear knob top cover
Most of these are common in early G's

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Alfa also inspect the cars when they arrive off the boat, so its best to look for stuff the dealer might have broken, rather than problems it left the factory with ;)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There are a few common items mentioned on AO, but don't forget AO is probably only a small proportion of Giulietta's out there.
The faults on here may only represent 3 or 4% of Giulietta's on the road and note 80-90% of people will post info on faults mainly to either advise others of what to look for or to ask advice on how to get it fixed rather than how perfect there car is (that will be the other 10-20%).

Some problems i have read about on here are:-

Top falling off gear knob (i think this is resolved by glueing at the factory now) - 10-15 maybe 20 people.
Gearbox - First gear tight, sometimes other gears too. 10-15 people
Blue & me loosing connection with phones/mem sticks & ipod. 6-7 people
Creaky seat frames. 5-6 people
Rattly speakers/door cards. 5-6 people
Creaky dash. 3-4 people
Rattles from sunroof frame. 2-3 people
Water in rear lights/boot. 2-3 people.

Other owners please feel free to ammend my figures if i'm under/over estimating and also add to the list.

A lot of the threads on here go on for some time as people ask questions & advise.
Unfortunately I have read of a couple of owners who had enough and got rid of their Friday afternoon car as Alfa didn't sort their problems fast enough or to the owners satisfaction which is a real shame.

There is no guarantee that any new car will be free from faults and niggles even with the best QA procedures.
Jap cars do tend to fair a bit better from what i hear, but i'm sure some suffer niggles too.
you, sir, are marvellous.

total number of G owners on this forum is about 103 people (and remember, that forum members are, almost by definition, the fussiest and fastest to complain car owners on the planet), so 6 people with an issue is about 5%. None of these issues are serious, except the gearbox one (there was one person with a gearbox rebuild?) and perhaps the gearknob (which you can fix yourself in 20 seconds with some superglue).

c.f. JD Power reliability survey, in which Alfa beats Toyota, etc etc

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Alfa also inspect the cars when they arrive off the boat, so its best to look for stuff the dealer might have broken, rather than problems it left the factory with ;)
indeed - I suspect some of the damaged seals are clumsy handling.

what is rather nice about the G is that there are few or no issues affecting handling, safety or driving.

rattles are squeaks are annoying, but so many are "owner error", such as forcing objects into door pockets and distorting the plastic, dropping coins into seats or seat rails, leaving loose objects in the boot (and forgetting about them while the rattle transmits throughout the car frame ...), forcing flaps and doors and damaging the mechanism, forgetting to tighten things after opening them, kids kicking the speakers and damaging them and so on and so on. Others are mechanical - my first point of call is always the exhaust heat shield, as any rattle there shows up all over the car by some weird process of resonance - and a 1 minute fix.

Have to say though: my wife has a Mazda 5 2.0 TS Estate and the build is remarkably good (except for speaker rattle, exhaust buzz at 2200 revs, and an odd pingy rattle in the boot under the spare tyre) ;-)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Please don,t get a Mazda. My Mazda 6 was the worst car I have ever owned. In the weather it was a nightmare as it never ran in under 3 degrees. It would just cough, splutter and then stop. Three times I was towed home in the snow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Alfa broke the timing belt and bent valves. All fixed now but I cant drive faster than 140km/hr then it looses power as if the turbo cuts out. Any solution please?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts