Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
E

Will look just different enough to shame any iPad2/Mini/iPad retina owners to not be able to get their ancient devices out in public.

Apple are the masters of consumerism.

Registered
It's nothing's new every tech company does it, it's just apple has a smaller product line.

Registered
Having just moved from a 2 to a 4, the latter is better except for the stupid connector swap:mad:

The retina display is lovely.

R

It's nothing's new every tech company does it, it's just apple has a smaller product line.
^ what he said

Apple bashing seems to be a popular sport but fact is all CE companies pretty much do the same in terms of product refresh cycles.

Registered
Having just moved from a 2 to a 4, the latter is better except for the stupid connector swap:mad:

The retina display is lovely.
2 to 4? Connector swap? Do you mean a 5? ;p

Registered
^ what he said

Apple bashing seems to be a popular sport but fact is all CE companies pretty much do the same in terms of product refresh cycles.
Exactly look at Android not allowing backwards comparability for new OS releases, forcing people to upgrade, I know they are not hard wear but it's the same thing.

Registered
No. The 4 is an upgraded 3 speed wise but with a stupid little lightening connector:(

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly look at Android not allowing backwards comparability for new OS releases, forcing people to upgrade, I know they are not hard wear but it's the same thing.
Which is exactly what Apple have done with the iPad 3 to 4. If you buy a 4 for 拢000s you also need to buy a new adaptor to fit all your old adaptors.

All the OS upgrades are free as opposed to having to pay to upgrade your hardware.

As for Apple upgrading the iPad every 6 months because they have a small product line that's meaningless. They could quite easily do a big upgrade every year (as they used to do) instead of every 6 months. I suspect the 4 was rushed out to try & steal the publicity from Microsoft, Amazon & Kindle.

Registered
Apple had to change the adaptor to be inline with all the other manufacturers. Had to be universal across the board. Change was inevitable.

EDIT.

Didn't realise this new lightning adaptor? Wtf is that?

Even better! The lightning connector has an authentication chip built in making it harder to make connectivity to it harder unless approved by apple. Now I use apple products and think this is hilarious!

Registered
Apple had to change the adaptor to be inline with all the other manufacturers. Had to be universal across the board. Change was inevitable.

EDIT.

Didn't realise this new lightning adaptor? Wtf is that?

Even better! The lightning connector has an authentication chip built in making it harder to make connectivity to it harder unless approved by apple. Now I use apple products and think this is hilarious!
I also thought Apple were going to fall into line with everybody else using the same cable, but no, they go their own way again. The lightning cable is a new cable which, amongst other things, can output digitally instead of analogue.

Although I can see the potential of outputting better quality sound, the adapters also do not work with every function on every device equipped with the now obsolete 30 pin plugs.

I have a Pioneer car stereo with something called Appradio as an added feature which allows me to use some apps on my iphone 4 with my 7" screen, such as certain sat Nav apps.

Does this feature work with an iPhone 5 with any adapter? No. Any word from Pioneer on making a new cable and possibly a firmware release to make it compatible with an iPhone 5? No.

Although I don't want to upgrade my phone at the moment, I can't without losing functionality with my car stereo. :mad:

Registered
No. The 4 is an upgraded 3 speed wise but with a stupid little lightening connector:(
Yeah I had iphone versions in my head, not iPadzzz :thumbs:

And TBH the 3 didn't cut it as the graphics performance couldn't power the resolution, hence the upgrade in power.

Registered
And whilst people keep buying the latest version, they'll keep knocking them out and who can blame them?
It's moving forward slower than it did in the 20th century, if technical innovation was matching that century in pace I think things would be very different.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts