Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 4th 156:

A 2002 2-litre JTS with 242.000km for around 500£ converted from DKK at today's rate..
Essentially a two-owner car, with the first owner covering 196.000km, so for the most of it's life, it's been looked after.

For me this will primarily be a project - to see if I can get it on the road again.

Currently the to-do list contains:
Deferred maintanence such as serpentine belt, cambelts and oil/filter service.
Restore OEM airbox to pass MOT
Check suspension bushes.
Cosmetics

If all that is doable, it might end up also being a project car for an ICE install, so that I can compete in EMMA again.

A quick recap of the others:
The first one - 1997 1.8TS - Was on my way to buy a new Skoda Fabia in 2003, and somehow wound up with this.. Had it for 4 years. Unfortunately ended it's life burned in a ditch after being stolen

The second - 2003 2.0JTS RST - Forum veterans - if any - might remember seeing build threads on the ICE install in this. Had it from 2007 to 2010, was replaced by a MiTo QV

The third - 2002 2.0 JTS internal facelift - Got this when I was between unmentionable sensible family movers - was poorly maintained by previous owners and was quickly sold. Had it for around a year from 2013 to 2014

I am in the process of trying to keep the images on my old threads alive, but due to forum restrictions on post editing this will take a while..

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
After 3 JTSs, a cynical detractor would ask if the bankruptcy term has ended. I think you're rather brave having had 3 JTS cars- especially after a nicer sounding CF2 TS. Did you manage to have sorted JTS 156s or with nicer exhausts to sound good? It begs the question, why come back to a 156 after a Mito? I haven't experienced a Mito but I'm not exactly rushing to try one either unless a loaded weapon is held at my head. That isn't meant to deride the Mito; it's probably a decent drive but I don't want something newer.

Having had just about all the 4 cylinder petrol engines and about every variant of trim/year etc, I thought 156 no.2 was the nicest. I possibly like the original styling more but the burgundy colour suits the facelift model very well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome back

DKK 4.000 for a 2002 Alfa 156 looking that good seems to be a steal – provided there is no or only a little rust.

For the cambelt I’d personally consider buying: Tandremssæt SKF VKMA 02183 Zähnez.: 168 — Køb nu!
And for the balancer belt:
Alfa Romeo 156 Balancer Belt Kit
or
2,0 JTS 16V - Alfa Romeo Ersatzteile - Italia Ricambi

In case replacement of the front wishbones is needed:
https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/parts/156_Wishbones_front.shtm

The 10W/60 oil and is getting pretty expensive for Danes these days, so 6 litre of oil for DKK 485 + shipping at alfisti.net (see above) seems to be a fair price - especially if you buy the oil filter (and air filter etc.) the same place.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After 3 JTSs, a cynical detractor would ask if the bankruptcy term has ended. I think you're rather brave having had 3 JTS cars- especially after a nicer sounding CF2 TS. Did you manage to have sorted JTS 156s or with nicer exhausts to sound good? It begs the question, why come back to a 156 after a Mito? I haven't experienced a Mito but I'm not exactly rushing to try one either unless a loaded weapon is held at my head. That isn't meant to deride the Mito; it's probably a decent drive but I don't want something newer.

Having had just about all the 4 cylinder petrol engines and about every variant of trim/year etc, I thought 156 no.2 was the nicest. I possibly like the original styling more but the burgundy colour suits the facelift model very well.
Honestly, for me the 156 is like putting on my favorite suit.. The MiTo never gave me that.
apart from the black one, I never really had problems with any of the 156s.

given the choice I would have taken a facelift model, and I was actually offered my old burgundy one last year, bit the price was way too steep considering the state it was in. But for the purpose of just wanting a 156 as a no-timeframe weekend project facelift cars was just not viable, generally being to expensive or being diesels.

Welcome back

DKK 4.000 for a 2002 Alfa 156 looking that good seems to be a steal – provided there is no or only a little rust.

For the cambelt I’d personally consider buying: Tandremssæt SKF VKMA 02183 Zähnez.: 168 — Køb nu!
And for the balancer belt:
Alfa Romeo 156 Balancer Belt Kit
or
2,0 JTS 16V - Alfa Romeo Ersatzteile - Italia Ricambi

In case replacement of the front wishbones is needed:
https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/parts/156_Wishbones_front.shtm

The 10W/60 oil and is getting pretty expensive for Danes these days, so 6 litre of oil for DKK 485 + shipping at alfisti.net (see above) seems to be a fair price - especially if you buy the oil filter (and air filter etc.) the same place.
I haven’t had it up on my quick jacks yet but from what I can see, feel and read from the mot reports, there shouldn’t be too much rust. It has been rust protected from new.

Thanks for the links - I will look into them when I start getting parts. Will probably start by getting it mot’able.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts