Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into several shops in Norwich on Saturday to purchase an ink jet printer.

The first shop was Comet on the northern ring road. Looked at several printers with the help of an assistant and came to the conclusion that the HP D5460 was just what I wanted and it was reduced from £99.99 to £49.99 which was specifically pointed out to me by the sales person and was printed on the information leaflet.

Just to be sure, I went to several shops to check other printers and came back to Comet for that one. Took it to the counter, it was scanned and I was asked for £99.99.
“Thats wrong” I stated “£49.99 is the marked price”.
The so called manager then came over who was 6ft tall and had a pony tail. He looked at the label an stated that it had been incorrectly marked and the price was £99.99 but as a gesture of compromise he would give me 10% off.
I went into one explaining in no uncertain terms my rights and it was there mistake and I wanted the printer for the advertised price. He then said he had the right to remove any product from sale and he was now removing this printer model.
I made a lot of noise and left.

I will be reporting Comet to Trading standards tomorrow for flouting the law but there is a happy ending.
On the way home, I called into Staples at Gt Yarmouth. The same printer was £48.00 and the ink cartridges were £2 cheaper each than Comet.

Conclusion
Comet con their customers by flouting the law but Staples are cheaper and better.

G

·
0 Posts
I hate it when that happens, anything that is marked down will be the wrong price once you get it to the till. And then you have to argue with them for the correct price :mad:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Unfortunately, it is not against the law - the advertised price is an 'Invitation to treat'.

As far as the mistake in the pricing goes, if it is still marked up for sale in 24 hours at that price, then you are entitled to it - you need to prove it if you want it, though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
ugh shame on them.

i had the opposite today, went to b and q to get 4 rolls of wallpaper @ 17 quid a roll.
Got to the till and it had been reduced to 2 quid a roll ..........bargoon :)

H

·
0 Posts
We looked at a Sofa last week. For a 3 seater and a 2 seater it was reduced from about 2 grand down to £798, according to the sale tag that was on it.

The salesman came over and took the tag off as we were looking at it, and said that the sale had ended, but since we'd seen the tag we could still have it at that price. He wrote all this down on a leaflet and gave us his name. So we went away and had a measure up, and Mrs HST decided that we'd buy it.

So we went back the following day, and the same salesman was busy, so somebody else saw us. We said that' we'd been in the previous day and the Mrs HST had made her mind up and Mr HST was buying the 3 seater and 2 seater.

His eyes flashed '£' signs at us and he took us over to his desk and he got us a nice cup of coffee, and then Mrs HST showed him the leaflet and said that the other chap had agreed to let us have it for £798. This poor salesman's face just dropped. It's not often you see somebody physically deflate like that.

I'm not sure how I felt, I was happy that we were getting a decent deal, but still felt a wee bit sorry that this bloke wasn't going to get the numbers he probably so badly needed next to his name.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I brought a kettle toaster and small telly from comet . Next day while using it toast wouldnt come our and went up in flames. so took it back 12 mile round trip . Tuesday kettle wont work took it back . Friday decide to unpack telly as daughters birthday on the saturday . They had gave us the wrong telly took it back. Now im totally peed off and demand some sort of reconpence after having to replace all 3 purchases on seperate occations. Finally i got a voucher £25 to spend in various stores . And since have never walked into a comet store in 3 years:tut:

E

·
0 Posts
Just bought a canon 4600, good for photo printing and they have £20 cash back at the moment. PC World have it for £87 so effectively £67 for an A4 inkejet that does superb photo printing.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
We brought an American (huge) style fridge from Comet, they told us they needed to do a site survey to make sure they could fit it in our house.
Waited & waited no site survey, on the day delivery was due (booked for 4pm) we had a phone call at 3:15pm to do site survey :rolleyes:, nobody was at home they called back at 3:30pm they had taken it off the van because they hadn't done a site survey.
Must have had a bloody long tape measure we live 20 miles from the shop.
Rang them up cancelled order and brought from local independant, who matched comet price but with no delivery charge, delivered 2 days later :)
Comet are the same as all the big chains bl00dy useless all they want to sell is extended warranties :mad:
"£50 warrranty on your £20 kettle sir?", "Well let me think :rolleyes:"

N

·
0 Posts
~100 quid seems a lot for a printer. Especially one where you're going to
be paying for 5 different ink cartridges at HP prices. :eek:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts