These not mentioned yet, but thoroughly enjoyable:

2 Doors down
Fresh Meat
Bad Education

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Agree.
Next door neighbour Jim and his dog Wilson are the true comedy gold of this series imo. (y)
Watched a couple of episodes of Spaced recently and realised the actor who plays 'Jim' was the neighbour in that too.Googled Mark Heap and the amount of (mostly good) stuff he has appeared in is phenomenal .

More programs i've remembered and might watch again are Nighty Night,Black Books and Supernova

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
That brings up Big Train as worth a watch.
And what was that really old Canadian one? Kids In The Hall?

Disclaimer - I've not seen either of these for decades.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Nice bit of gentle, easy, very-far-away-from-it-all light entertainment - with some really good characters and charmingly done is The Durrells on Netflix.

You'll be familiar with the story if you've read Gerald Durrell's "My Family and other animals" - but it's easy on the eye and delightfully done. Beautifully produced and witty enough to get a few chuckles.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Nice bit of gentle, easy, very-far-away-from-it-all light entertainment - with some really good characters and charmingly done is The Durrells on Netflix.

You'll be familiar with the story if you've read Gerald Durrell's "My Family and other animals" - but it's easy on the eye and delightfully done. Beautifully produced and witty enough to get a few chuckles.
Ooh - I've just watched the first one and I think it might be a slow burner. Thank you Fred.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yesterday I watched the first episode of IT Crowd for what I think is the third time. I have never got any further in the series and I don't think I ever will. It should be right up my street but I find it just too cringey.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Not worth watching at least the second episode to see if it's just a first episode thing? They have to spend time introducing the characters in first episodes so the humour isn't as well embedded.

It'd be a hell of a shame to never get to the Countdown episode (and I think that's not until series 4).

If I remember rightly, Jen is probably what's making you cringe. And I can sympathise, I never really got on with her character despite acknowledging that what I didn't like about her was exactly what I wasn'y supposed to like. But Moss and Roy are excellent. As are both Reynholm's.

Oh - the D&D episode is genius too.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
All comedy exists on a knife edge. You can be tipped into loving or hating it by the subtlest of elements, or even by your own mood at the moment. Also, it really needs to be watched alone. If you're with someone who doesn't get it... better to end a marriage than miss a good comedy.

·
Registered
13,054 Posts
Not funny ha ha, but light hearted. What about "inside number 9" on i player?
Mick
Yep, the latter ones contained dark humour but weren't really comedy, however some of the the plots were very subtle and make the series worth watching.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Does Ricky Gervais "Afterlife" series 2 count?
We watched all 6 episodes tonight.
Gervais is a marmite character....but thoroughly enjoyed both series.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Yep, the latter ones contained dark humour but weren't really comedy, however some of the the plots were very subtle and make the series worth watching.
I only ever watched one - which was set around a guy who kept a sex slave and a child in an underground cellar..... I found it frankly a bit macabre and unsettling so never went back. Others have said it was darkly funny so maybe I just hit an episode with a different tone, but it was most definitely neither a comedy nor light hearted in that setting :-0

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I only ever watched one - which was set around a guy who kept a sex slave and a child in an underground cellar..... I found it frankly a bit macabre and unsettling so never went back. Others have said it was darkly funny so maybe I just hit an episode with a different tone, but it was most definitely neither a comedy nor light hearted in that setting :-0
You're right Fred, you picked the wrong episode.
Mick.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,759 Posts
Alan Partridge?

Recently been enjoying two comedies I couldn’t stand when I was young. Keeping Up Appearances as Patricia Routledge is just magnificent as that mad bat Hyacinth.

Much more genteel is As Time Goes By. It’s not that it’s funny (it is); it’s just... nice :)

oh, and nighty night is worth a watch too if you like cringe-fest moments :)

61 - 80 of 111 Posts