Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
US Office develops into something special at times.

Parks and Rec is fun.

Curb your is ace.

Locally there have been some decent comedy shows on BBC. Obviously Fleabag, but there was also one about the woman back from Prison (name escapes me)........Back to Life
I shall give the US Office a look as well as CYE.

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
I had the flu recently and spent two weeks binge watching stuff.

I came across a series I only watched about 20 minutes of 15 years ago and thought it crap.

This time around I watched 2 series back to back and it really made mre laugh.

Shut up and tell us what it is I hear you cry.

League of Gentlemen.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I've just got someone into watching The League of Gentlemen, they'd watched a series called Inside No.9, written by Shearsmith and Pemberton, I've watched a couple of episodes and it's pretty good, has some stock of cast members too

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm Alan Partridge
Phoenix Nights
Carshare
I see Spaced is on Prime too

I quite like Last Man On Earth,but some of it is rubbish and hard going

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I must admit if I can find them then old episodes of Never Mind The Buzzcocks tickles my boat. The Mark Lamar years were very acerbic and funny. Simon Amstell was ok and then we had a very guest presenters. There was one episode with Lee Mack as presenter that was right up there. I have it on my Sky box and watch it when feeling like I need a good old belly laugh.

But, a BIG no to Gavin and Stacey, no idea why I don't like it, just never seen it as funny (Not a fan of James Corden which may explain some of my ambivalence to it)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Oh and i forgot to mention Detectorists in my first post,even though it would have been my first pick.........

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Lead balloon was great British comedy. I would also give another vote for Stella Street, fantastic series. the Leage of Gentlemen is dark comedy but different types of other comedy too - visual gags and the like. Inside number 9 was written by the same team who wrote the League of gentlemen and it's definitely worth watching, there's a new series coming out soon.

If you like dark animated comedy, have a look at Monkey dust. Very dark but very funny.

Something more gentle is Still game, which is excellent.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
How about:

Fast Show
Drop The Dead Donkey
Smack The Pony

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
An unusual recent one, not yet mentioned, is Detectorists. Very understated humour - you get the delicious feeling you're the only one who spots it.

An old Radio 4 comedy I loved was Cabin Pressure (John Finnemore). It's on Youtube.

Another Radio 4 one, Unthinkable Solutions (Marcus Brigstocke), appealed because it was about cringeworthy management consultants. (I used to be one). Not sure if it can be found anywhere.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Lead balloon was great British comedy. I would also give another vote for Stella Street, fantastic series. the Leage of Gentlemen is dark comedy but different types of other comedy too - visual gags and the like. Inside number 9 was written by the same team who wrote the League of gentlemen and it's definitely worth watching, there's a new series coming out soon.

If you like dark animated comedy, have a look at Monkey dust. Very dark but very funny.

Something more gentle is Still game, which is excellent.
Still Game is a great shout, very bingeworthy!

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I must admit if I can find them then old episodes of Never Mind The Buzzcocks tickles my boat. The Mark Lamar years were very acerbic and funny. Simon Amstell was ok and then we had a very guest presenters. There was one episode with Lee Mack as presenter that was right up there. I have it on my Sky box and watch it when feeling like I need a good old belly laugh.

But, a BIG no to Gavin and Stacey, no idea why I don't like it, just never seen it as funny (Not a fan of James Corden which may explain some of my ambivalence to it)
I loved both Lamar and Amstell's (quite different) Buzzcocks. Good shout those.

And I couldn't agree more about Gavin/Stacey/Corden. I have simply never understood what was to like about Gavin & Stacey. Tried watching it a few times - but nada. I recall that after the original G&S run - Corden and the other fella tried a sketch show which bombed massively. And I say this someone who thinks Rob Brydon is a national treasure (see also Bob Mortimer).

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm a couple of Stella Streets in, and I've had a look at Detectorists and I'm not feeling it. 🤔

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Anyone into Cuckoo?
Yes, very funny. Greg Davies is brilliant.
I've missed a few, seemed to be on very late at night and hadn't noticed when a new series had begun.
I'll look into that one myself 👍

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Talking of Greg Davies - Has anyone mentioned Man Down yet? I loved it. Got quiet hooked on the opening credits/music too! Very catchy

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I see Spaced is on Prime too
I like the idea of Spaced, but a bit like Corden I feel quite allergic to Simon Pegg. Which is odd - because I love Shaun of the Dead, but made the mistake of reading his autobiography (bored, on holiday, was in the rented villa's bookshelf) and realised he's a [email protected]

I've therefore avoided Spaced but think I may be missing something.....

21 - 40 of 63 Posts