Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually like much TV but when I find something I like I tend to watch all the available episodes fairly quickly, usually while cooking. Recent binges have been:
  • The Good Place
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine
  • Taskmaster
Now I've caught up with all the Taskmasters I'm at a bit of a loss. I've been recommended the following and I don't like:
  • Good News
  • Schitt's Creek
  • Frankie and Grace
Parks and Recreation is from the same stable as TGP and B9-9 but I couldn't get into the first couple of episodes. I've read that the second series is better so maybe I should skip to it. I'm sure there are some As Yet Untitled I haven't seen although that can be a bit hit-and-miss. Anybody like Judge Romesh?

Can you recommend any other binge-worthy comedy to cheer me up? :unsure:

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
515 Posts
...Can you recommend any other binge-worthy comedy to cheer me up? :unsure:
It's very much down to personal preferences and individual choices, but I'm seriously (if that's a suitable word for describing comedy) in to classic British TV situation comedy. My most recent 'binge-watches' have been...

Open All Hours - Starring Ronnie Barker/David Jason and set in a 1970s corner shop.
Yes Prime Minister - Paul Eddington, Nigel Hawthorne star. Cleverly written political sit-com set in no.10 Downing Street.
• The Thin Blue Line - Stars Rowan Atkinson/David Haig in a small-town and totally ineffectual police station.
Fawlty Towers - John Cleese,/Prunella Scales. Set in a badly run and down-at-heel 1970s hotel.
Porridge - Ronnie Barker/Fulton Mackay. Set in a prison in the 1970s.
Vicar of Dibley - Dawn French stars as the first female vicar of a small English parish full of wierdos and misfits.

And there are so many more....

·
Administrator
45,653 Posts
Judge Romesh is OK, but not excellent.
I have heard the same about P&R - and similarly have not managed to get past the first series yet.
It's Always Sunny In Phnilidelphia has a massive cult following but I haven't managed to watch yet myself.

Should I assume you already know about older stuff so there's no point recommending? Like Coupling for instance (only the series' with Jeff in them though, turned crap after that).

Away from sitcoms, 8 out of 10 cats does countdown is always good (significantly better than 8 out of 10 cats in fact). As is Would You Lie To Me.

Reactions: Paddy OPlastic

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's very much down to personal preferences and individual choices, but I'm seriously (if that's a suitable word for describing comedy) in to classic British TV situation comedy. My most recent 'binge-watches' have been...

Open All Hours - Starring Ronnie Barker/David Jason and set in a 1970s corner shop.
Yes Prime Minister - Paul Eddington, Nigel Hawthorne star. Cleverly written political sit-com set in no.10 Downing Street.
• The Thin Blue Line - Stars Rowan Atkinson/David Haig in a small-town and totally ineffectual police station.
Fawlty Towers - John Cleese,/Prunella Scales. Set in a badly run and down-at-heel 1970s hotel.
Porridge - Ronnie Barker/Fulton Mackay. Set in a prison in the 1970s.
Vicar of Dibley - Dawn French stars as the first female vicar of a small English parish full of wierdos and misfits.

And there are so many more....
All good suggestions, thank you. Of those I guess I haven't seen all of the Thin Blue Line.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Judge Romesh is OK, but not excellent.
I have heard the same about P&R - and similarly have not managed to get past the first series yet.
It's Always Sunny In Phnilidelphia has a massive cult following but I haven't managed to watch yet myself.

Should I assume you already know about older stuff so there's no point recommending? Like Coupling for instance (only the series' with Jeff in them though, turned crap after that).

Away from sitcoms, 8 out of 10 cats does countdown is always good (significantly better than 8 out of 10 cats in fact). As is Would You Lie To Me.
ASIP is a good shout. I'm a bit particular about my American comedy though. (y)

I've seen all Coupling, 8 out of 10, 8 out of 10 does Countdown and WILTY.

I'm wondering whether there are any obscure panel shows which slipped under my radar. I missed Was it Something I Said? and Hypothetical when they came out. There was also something hosted by Sue Perkins which was a bit crap. ?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Steve Coogan's 'Saxondale' is a personal favourite. It seemed to go under most people's radar. Comedy gold for the middle aged bloke. Only 2 series of 6 x 30 minute episodes.
I've watched Phoenix Nights countless times and never tire of it.
Watched the first series of The Office again just before Christmas, the first time since it was originally broadcast. I'd forgotten how brilliant it was.
Further back in time, love The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin.
And great British comedy I could watch all day long, Only Fools and Horses. Obvs.
I'm not a huge fan of American stuff. One exception is Frasier. That was brilliant.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Agree on Saxondale. And Frasier. With Frasier there was a period towards the end when the writing in it was absolutely perfectly honed.

I think I would struggle to think of any TV Panel shows you haven't already mentioned - but have you listened to Radio 4s "Sorry I haven't a Clue?". Not sure i it's available on podcast - probably is. I find a lot of Radio 4 comedy pretty dire tbh - but SIHAC and The News Quiz (which is basically Mock The Week meets HIGNFY) are exceptions.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve Coogan's 'Saxondale' is a personal favourite. It seemed to go under most people's radar. Comedy gold for the middle aged bloke. Only 2 series of 6 x 30 minute episodes.
I've watched Phoenix Nights countless times and never tire of it.
Watched the first series of The Office again just before Christmas, the first time since it was originally broadcast. I'd forgotten how brilliant it was.
Further back in time, love The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin.
And great British comedy I could watch all day long, Only Fools and Horses. Obvs.
I'm not a huge fan of American stuff. One exception is Frasier. That was brilliant.
I'll give Saxondale a go even if Coogan does get on my moobs. Similarly Phoenix Nights and Kay. Oh, and The Office and Gervais. ;)

·
Administrator
45,653 Posts
I don't think it'll last you, but there's a comedy quiz show called something like "Al Murray's Pub Quiz". It's kind of worth watching a couple just because it's such an oddity. The thing is that it's the actual person Al Murray. He isn't playing the character of the pub landlord. So there's really no comedy at all. It's just a perfectly normal pub quiz - but televised. It's kind of boring, but in a slightly endearing way.

Have you tried the American version of the Office? In some ways better than the UK (if, like me, you struggle with cringe humour).

It's not comedy, but I enjoy Only Connect when I catch it, although I think VC is not very good as a host, despite liking her a lot as a contestant elsewhere.

Depending on your stance on cartoons, Bob's Burgers is excellent. Rick and Morty I've hardly watched but it is very highly rated.

For old stuff, as a Northerner Open All Hours is clearly superior to OFAH. The Good Life is still very watchable. The modern view of what a git Briers character can be is very much tempered by Felicity Kendal's ability to melt you with a cheeky grin.
Dad's Army and Porridge I still enjoy watching when they appear on classic TV channels.
Mork and Mindy I'd really like to re-watch, but it never seems to appear.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Agree with the others about Porridge, one of the all time greats for me.

Another favourite from about 10 years ago was 'Pete Versus Life' starring Rafe Spall. Very funny.
Also 'An Idiot Abroad' and 'The Moaning Of Life' with Karl Pilkington. Hilarious.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I'll give Saxondale a go even if Coogan does get on my moobs. Similarly Phoenix Nights and Kay. Oh, and The Office and Gervais. ;)
For me, Kay was funny on his first ever tour all those years ago, then that was it. But I've always thought he's excelled at comedy acting, 'Phoenix Nights' being the perfect example.
Mind you, I also enjoyed 'Max and Paddy's Road To Nowhere', and most people panned that!

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agree on Saxondale. And Frasier. With Frasier there was a period towards the end when the writing in it was absolutely perfectly honed.

I think I would struggle to think of any TV Panel shows you haven't already mentioned - but have you listened to Radio 4s "Sorry I haven't a Clue?". Not sure i it's available on podcast - probably is. I find a lot of Radio 4 comedy pretty dire tbh - but SIHAC and The News Quiz (which is basically Mock The Week meets HIGNFY) are exceptions.
I think I've seen all the Frasiers.

There are a few R4 comedy shows I like. SIHAC is one, The Unbelievable Truth is another.

·
Administrator
87,197 Posts
Have you seen My Family with the Harper family, quality show.

Father Ted is brilliant.

Animation wise, The Simpsons & Futurama are my favourites.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Preacher.

Simply marvellous

·
Registered
11,526 Posts
Preacher.

Simply marvellous

Although it contains humour, I certainly wouldn't categorise Preacher as comedy.
Maybe that's just me though. ?

·
Premium Member
77,382 Posts
US Office develops into something special at times.

Parks and Rec is fun.

Curb your is ace.

Locally there have been some decent comedy shows on BBC. Obviously Fleabag, but there was also one about the woman back from Prison (name escapes me)........Back to Life

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you seen My Family with the Harper family, quality show.

Father Ted is brilliant.

Animation wise, The Simpsons & Futurama are my favourites.
I haven't seen My Family so I'll put that on the list and I must know Father Ted by heart. Animation not really my thing but I have seen some brilliant Simpsons episodes. (y)

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Preacher.

Simply marvellous

As Chris says, it wasn't on my comedy radar but thank you for reminding me about it.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts